Which mobo should I buy?

jaber

5 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm new to this osx86, hackintosh, but a long time mac user.

And I want to build an AMD Phenom II rig, preferbably with nvidia graphics.

I've read there are troubles with this and that mobos - like Asus M3n78 geforce 8200 have audio and res. issues. Asus m3a78 meanwhile has no lan, audio and ide...

So, which mobo should I buy? MSI? Gigabyte? Asus? etc.etc?

Hi, I'm new to this osx86, hackintosh, but a long time mac user.

And I want to build an AMD Phenom II rig, preferbably with nvidia graphics.

I've read there are troubles with this and that mobos - like Asus M3n78 geforce 8200 have audio and res. issues. Asus m3a78 meanwhile has no lan, audio and ide...

So, which mobo should I buy? MSI? Gigabyte? Asus? etc.etc?

In all honesty, life is about 1000x easier if you use Intel.

• 2 months later...
In all honesty, life is about 1000x easier if you use Intel.

Actually, that's not necessarily true. Many 3rd party vendors use the exact same intel chipsets. Also Intel boards don't usually give you much out of the box flexibility for overclocking.

My research here on the forums and the wiki led me to get a Gigabyte MB (ep45ds3l to be exact) - and I have been very happy with everything working. The system is so solid and fast that I've actually forgotten that I'm not using a "real" mac. I also use it for hardcore tasks: HD editing, After Effects, Nuendo 4 surround sound mixing (with a Dongle). It's beautiful. I've also built a couple other systems using the gigabyte MBs and have had no issues.

I tend to put it to sleep rather than a complete shutdown and have had no issues, sometimes for weeks on end.

That all said - it's an intel Quad core sitting on the MBs, not AMD.

AND processors can't run a true vanilla system (system with little modificaion) very well (if at all) so it would be easier for you to use a core based intel processor. It makes installing OSX so much easier, you can use apple's kernel. that means it won't ruin your install if you update from apple.

Also Intel boards don't usually give you much out of the box flexibility for overclocking.

well, I have overclocked my dual core 5300 which is stock at 2.6 GHz to 4Ghz... I eased it off to 3 to keep it cooler though...thats a massive gain of something like 40%.

As for boards, the gigabyte EP-45-... series are great boards. I have installed on a EP-45-UD3 and a UD3L and a UD3LR, all similar and they are fantastic boards. I have written a guide, if you want it (in my sig) most things work out of the box (lan etc)

As for video, most NVidia cards are good. I use a 8600GT which works flawlessly. Most NVidia cards work well... Go onto a page, find one you like and can afford, then ask here...