Forum optimisations

Forum Optimisation  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Does the forum feel faster and more responsive than a few weeks ago?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

7 posts in this topic

We've been working over the past few weeks to speed up the running of the forum. This has involved:

- Moving the forum to a new cluster with an improved network file system (Lustre / AoE instead of NFS)

- Moving the database session table to the HEAP (memory) type.

- Moving members and some other tables to InnoDB

- Adding 5 minute expires headers to all Javascript, CSS and images.

- Statically caching forum pages for anonymous users (people who aren't logged in).

We are interested to see if all this work has paid off. Please vote in the poll to let us know if the forum feels faster for you!

Yeah. I just switched to IPBoard Pro and the site flies along. Something is seriously wrong with the default theme obviously.

I'll add to this as well just switched from the Insanely Beautiful to it and its a night and day difference.

wow i have no idea what you guys did to insanelymac.com but it now takes no less than 90 seconds for a page to load. I'm using insanely beautiful. I don't even want to come here anymore. I just go to the irc and talk to the people doing the work. You guys are rendering this site useless

*edit: now i'm getting network timeouts. Or i have to wait up to 2-3 minutes. i finally got in to make this edit. What have you guys done?

wow i have no idea what you guys did to insanelymac.com but it now takes no less than 90 seconds for a page to load. I'm using insanely beautiful. I don't even want to come here anymore. I just go to the irc and talk to the people doing the work. You guys are rendering this site useless

*edit: now i'm getting network timeouts. Or i have to wait up to 2-3 minutes. i finally got in to make this edit. What have you guys done?

I'd like to backup onemanstrash's statement here. While on IRC we saw this being experienced by multiple people around the globe and not just a local isp issue. While things have calmed down right now it's still slower than [insert your favorite slow metaphor here].