WG511T + JaS 10.4.6

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

Not sure if this has been covered already, but I had a problem with the netwgear wireless WG511T (pcmcia) card after installing hte JaS 10.4.6 DVD.

I copied over the following kexts to get it to work from the 10.4.5 extensions.

IOPCIFamily.kext

IO80211Family.kext (this one comes with 10.4.6, but does not seem to work)

Also I discovered somehting strange. I had to reboot my AP, and noticed that I could not connect to it. I unhide the SSID, and still could not see it or connect to it. Checking the AP I noticed the it had chosen channel 12, so I reset it to channel 2 nad then the WG511T could see it plus connect to it.

Have not done much investigation but the Airatheros5452.kext seems to have a problem with channels.

Not sure if this help anyone.

this is interesting.. as when I upgraded to 10.4.6 on the laptop, I had no issues with this card keeping the 10.4.5 kexts previously mentioned.

i've connected to a LOt of different networks on different channels.. with no issue.

have you tried any channel besides 2 and 12?

this is interesting.. as when I upgraded to 10.4.6 on the laptop, I had no issues with this card keeping the 10.4.5 kexts previously mentioned.

i've connected to a LOt of different networks on different channels.. with no issue.

have you tried any channel besides 2 and 12?

I have not done that much investigation, but from what I saw both channel 12 and 13 could not be accessed. In fact the netgear card lights sequence did not look right. Both lights were flashing alternatively. I could see the networks but just could not connect to them. Maybe it's somehting with my AP. I have a cisco 1200.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this post this was exaclty what I needed. I would also suggest doing the following after copying the kext's in the extension folder prior to reboot:

With Disk Utility, Repair Disk Permissions, then in terminal type:

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions

then

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

Reboot and your WG511T will work like a charm.. I just bought mine from justdeals.com for 24.95 shipped!!!

ENJOY

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I have 10.4.6 running on my compaq evo n610c with the WG511T netgear pc card, I installed the driver on this thread, there is a little pc card icon in the menu area, with the option to power off, but how do i connect to a wireless network, there is nothing in the Network system properties, or anywhere else, only my onboard ethernet and bluetooth.

• 2 months later...

Working in 10.4.9 with Semthex nd_23 kernel (8.8.1) with the old kexts from above with Channel 10.

This Negear WLAN card does NOT work with the new IO80211Family.kext 1.5.1 (2007) from the Airport Extreme Update.

Never got this card to work with higher channels, either.