Installing Safari 4 beta on 10.5.5

Peles

15 posts in this topic

Wanted to post this for people who can't or don't want to fully update to 10.5.6 but are willing to test out new Safari 4 beta

This worked for me but if you want to give it a try do it at your own risk.

Procedure I used to install Safari:

1) Change system version to 10.5.6 (by editing SystemVersion.plist in System/Library/CoreServices. Seting ProductUserVisibleVersion and ProductVersion to 10.5.6. allows you to install 10.5.6 updates including new security update without a real 10.5.6. and install Safari 4 beta)

2) Install Security update 2009-001 via Software update

3) Download 10.5.6 delta from Apple

4) Download Pacifist 2.5.2

5) Using Pacifist install and update QuartzCore.framework from 10.5.6 .pkg (navigate to QuartzCore.framework and press install. Upon request press replace files)

6) Install Safari 4.0 Beta Leo

7) Change system version back to 10.5.5

8) Repair disk permissions

Problem solved Hello Safari & Top Sites

Still testing and don't know how 2009-001 impacts Leo without real 10.5.6, but so far I do not find any problems with my system.

I did not installed 10.5.6 cause it slows down startup on my machine and mobo (P5W DH) has some USB issues related to 10.5.6.

*Do not manually extract QuartzCore.framework folder from .pkg (as there are just few updated files and not all the files that are located in your systems QuartzCore.framework folder) and replace it in /System/Library/Frameworks as this action will not just update the necessary files but overwrite previous folder completely and delete some existing files which are essential!

Could be just a guess...

If you download separate folder QuartzCore.framework and replace it with one in /System/Library/Frameworks it moves all the old folder with files still necessary. Pacifist however just installs files which are updated inside the QuartzCore.framework and leaves some content untouched.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't tryed this...just came to my mind.

And someone please confirm if the whole thing works for somebody else as well

P.S. I have a backup copy of 1.5.5 QuartzCore.framework if somebody needs it (...and if some files in QuartzCore.framework folder are not linked to each computers hardware setup individually)

10.5.5. QuartzCore.framework from my system: http://www.filetolink.com/d1e3742e

10.5.6.QuartzCore.framework from my system: http://www.filetolink.com/72d1cd13

Well, I've tried putting back my old Quartzcore.framework, it didn't work. My Graphics are all glitched up if I try use the dock. I suppose I can try Olotiar's one, but maybe something else is wrong.

And yes, I did replace every file in the directory (OS X does this anyway - it behaves differently to Windows in that regard)

(OS X does this anyway - it behaves differently to Windows in that regard)

Well, that's the thing. My hackintosh does NOT behave like this. Copying a folder over a already existing cover makes it to delete the old folder, then past the new one , and not overwriting only existing files.

But if you know how to change that setting, I'm very interested.

Well, that's the thing. My hackintosh does NOT behave like this. Copying a folder over a already existing cover makes it to delete the old folder, then past the new one , and not overwriting only existing files.

But if you know how to change that setting, I'm very interested.

Yeah, that's what I meant. It doesn't merge folders. Anyway, it can't be changed and my OS X is still broken, don't know why.

But I will install XxX 10.5.6 sometime soon & it will be fixed anyway :rolleyes:

If I understand correctly you wrote that you replaced the entire contents of QuartzCore.framework by copying it over with extracted directory from 10.5.6. hence deleting every file which was there before and was possibly essential for your system...

• 1 year later...

i made it!!! and i will try to explain how.

Olotiar posted a link to download a folder. he said "here it is". In that {censored} navigate to the folder called "A".

there is a thing called "Quartzcore". copy this and paste it in the following rute of your pc: /System/Library/Frameworks/QuartzCore.framework/Versions/A and replace your Quartzcore (maybe you should make a copy of this before). only replace this thing.

now, from here:

http://michelf.com/projects/multi-safari/

download the safari 4 for leopard. it works fine, and its an especial version i think, but it's complete, with top sites and everithing.

i tried first the program without make the {censored} of the framework, and the program crashed.

to olotiar: thanks man.

good luck everybody.

chaoo!!