IDE support for Gygabite GA-EP45-DS4

9 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I recently bought the GA-EP45-DS4 mobo from Gigabyte.

I realized that the board does not contain a jmicron ATA host controller but rather ITE IT8213.

From that point on I searched the web for a possible drive to make ATA drives to work, but until now I just found a linux drive for it, which apparently is pretty small. IT8213 seems to differ just a little from a standard ATA host driver.

Still there is no driver to Mac OS X ... although and based on the amount of code in the linux driver I was planning to port it myself.

But unfortunately every ATA driver for darwin looks huge. ;)

Looking at IO Kit documentation I would say it would be fairly easy to port it too, since there is IOATAFamily.

Although I wonder why every single driver tends to inherit its classes from IOService instead of IOATAFamily classes. ;):-S

Could someone either provide me some guidelines how to make this work or provide me a working driver / alteration to other driver ?

BTW, linux drivers only defines 3 functions: cable_detect, set_pio_mode, set_dma_mode

Thanks a lot

Have you tried if it works with appleviaata.kext?

Yes, I did tried appleviaata.kext, although I guess I didn't tried the version available on web but a changed version to which I included some info in the driver.

The version I tried did seem to work since the drive appeared at system profiler, although when I inserted a disk at DVD drive the system hangs. :)

I will try the original version with updated info.plist tomorrow when I get to the office.

Thanks

It Worked :)

Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

For all of those that can be in the same situation ...

I just inserted the vendor/device IDs (0x82131283) into Info.plist of AppleVIAATA.kext.

It should be in IOPCIPrimaryMatch in SATA controller IOKitPersonalities section although it is a PATA controller. :happymac:

It seems to be working great, still didn't burned anything with the connected drive, but still I guess it has no UltraDMA support for this controller.

I am saying that based on the AppleVIAATAHardware.h file which contains a list of devices and the supported UDMA hardware type.

Does anyone thinks it is possible to enable that in this driver, or it should be pretty hard.

Where can I chack which mode is being used ?

Thanks a lot

It Worked :D

I just inserted the vendor/device IDs (0x82131283) into Info.plist of AppleVIAATA.kext.

It should be in IOPCIPrimaryMatch in SATA controller IOKitPersonalities section although it is a PATA controller. :D

You can create a new PATA personality instead of adding it to the SATA controller:

<key>ITE IT8213 PATA Controller</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleVIAATA</string>

<key>Hardware Name</key>

<string>IT8213 PATA</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleVIAATARoot</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x82131283</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<string>1500</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>Serial ATA</key>

<false/>

</dict>

The Serial ATA:false is the key difference.

It seems to be working great, still didn't burned anything with the connected drive, but still I guess it has no UltraDMA support for this controller.

I am saying that based on the AppleVIAATAHardware.h file which contains a list of devices and the supported UDMA hardware type.

Does anyone thinks it is possible to enable that in this driver, or it should be pretty hard.

Where can I chack which mode is being used ?

Thanks a lot

The JMicronATA reports the PIO & DMA modes used in the ioregistry (apart from when booting), maybe AppleVIAATA does the same.

Cant help you with enabling it the driver, sorry, try asking in the modded AppleVIAATA sticky thread.

• 2 months later...
It Worked :D

It should be in IOPCIPrimaryMatch in SATA controller IOKitPersonalities section although it is a PATA controller. :wacko:

Hi philfine and others,

I did try the same as you wrote above, but it doent work for me. Can you tell me what AppleVIAATA.kext you are using. Maybe I use a different one and need the one that you are using.

Please, can you btw attach a complete kextstat [ using: kextstat > kextstat.txt ], then I can compare/check a little more.

Also did the suggestion of thorazine74 works for you?

Thanks you very much.

LA

Hi philfine and others,

I did try the same as you wrote above, but it doent work for me. Can you tell me what AppleVIAATA.kext you are using. Maybe I use a different one and need the one that you are using.

Please, can you btw attach a complete kextstat [ using: kextstat > kextstat.txt ], then I can compare/check a little more.

Also did the suggestion of thorazine74 works for you?

Thanks you very much.

LA

Someone, please

Hello, I have problem with IDE DVD-ROM on EP-45-DS4. I have JMicronATA.kext and installed AppleVIAATA.kext-v0.2.zip. I also changed Info.plist as described. I have added device id into PATA -> it hangs on boot. So, i added device id to SATA section. Now it boots, but when I insert CD/DVD -> hangs. No kernel panics, just hang. Can anyone please help me?

• 5 months later...