drumthrasher109

A Simple Guide to the 4830/4850/4870/4870x2/4890

983 posts in this topic

Since you are using VGA try using your LCDs Auto Adjust features. It should fix the display if the resolution is correct.

The Auto-adjust features doesn't "fill" it out either. And there is no option to "stretch" the image, just move it around.

Advertisement
Hello, i've got a similiar graphic card, the Gainward HD4870 GS 1GB that works with Leopard retail 10.5.6, you have to connect at the same time HDMI and DVI cables to make it works correctly, you must have 2 monitors or 1 monitor with 2 input signals (HDMI and DVI) and connect both.

Interesting, sad I do not have a HDMI capable LCD, so I am out of the loop on this one. Although it does not work with HDMI->DVI Adapter just providing electronic resistance.

The Auto-adjust features doesn't "fill" it out either. And there is no option to "stretch" the image, just move it around.

Thats strange, but seems to be something related to your LCD. I do not have any idea how to make it work for you, sorry.

I have the same card palit hd 4870

the solutions is hdmi to dvi adapter to vga adapter NO CABLE CONNECTED[/b] and DVI PORT WORKS FINE

what, just the adaptor hdmi to dvi and nothing on the vga adaptor to have DVI connected? All this with a multiport card?

<br />what, just the adaptor hdmi to dvi and nothing on the vga adaptor to have DVI connected? All this with a multiport card?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Noo! i have hdmi connected to second monitor and dvi to primary. only dvi port working correct. No signal on hdmi out.

Sorry for my english, I am italian

Noo! i have hdmi connected to second monitor and dvi to primary. only dvi port working correct. No signal on hdmi out.

Sorry for my english, I am italian

So you have a multiport card and not a dual dvi card?

what, just the adaptor hdmi to dvi and nothing on the vga adaptor to have DVI connected? All this with a multiport card?

yes. i have a palit hd 4870 1gb. 1 dvi 1 hdmi 1 display port and 1 vga port and only dvi port works when hdmi cable connected on the second display or when hdmi to dvi to vga adapter is connected to the card and not to display.

complicated sorry

yes. i have a palit hd 4870 1gb. 1 dvi 1 hdmi 1 display port and 1 vga port and only dvi port works when hdmi cable connected on the second display or when hdmi to dvi to vga adapter is connected to the card and not to display.

complicated sorry

Ah, now I understand. This works on some Multi-Port cards, sadly not on mine :(

Totally! :D

Thanks guys :(

Gainward ATI HD4870 GS 512MB Worked! :)

as vecienzo already said:

If you have trouble with display that's going to sleep, you'll need to add some resistance on other videocard outputs. It can be, for example, DMI->VGA Adapter, or, as in my solution, (HDMI->DVI + DVI->VGA) Adapters.

Display connected to DVI output.

Totally! :unsure:

Thanks guys :)

Gainward ATI HD4870 GS 512MB Worked! :)

as vecienzo already said:

If you have trouble with display that's going to sleep, you'll need to add some resistance on other videocard outputs. It can be, for example, DMI->VGA Adapter, or, as in my solution, (HDMI->DVI + DVI->VGA) Adapters.

Display connected to DVI output.

So you are running a multi-port Gainward 4870 Golden Sample on DVI?

Strange, I tried all possible drivers posted in this thread and all possible port combinations including the Display Port. But nothing worked.

Which Natit.kext are you using?

SUCCESS!!!! :)

I just installed the 10.5.7 OpenGL Framework, removed the VGA Mintor Cable from the VGA port, plugged my Cinema Display into the DVI Port and it works!!! 1680x1050 with full QE&CI :)

[EDIT]

Setup Details:

Radeon 4800 Package from first Post

Latest Natit.kext posted in this thread

OpenGL.framework from 10.5.7

HDMI->DVI->VGA Adapter and DVI->Cinema Display

I just wanted to take a moment to thank all who started and contributed to this post. I'm sure many success stories go unreported, so I thought I would take a moment to do so.

I previously had an Nvidia 8800 GTS 512 that was starting to {censored} out on me, so I turned to these forums to determine my next card. This post was written plainly and clearly enough that I chose the 4870. I removed my old card and installed the 4870 without making any changes, thinking my hackintosh would at least boot up without hardware support/QE&CI. However, I obtained a kernel panic on first boot. I went back to square one (swapping in my 8800), installed the drivers from the first post, shut down, swapped my 4870 back in and the Hack booted up with full hardware support/QE&CI.

Next obstacle was dual monitor support. Since I purchased the Sapphire 4870 1GB, I had two DVI ports on my card. I could not get dual monitor support using one DVI cable and a VGA cable with a DVI adaptor. Upon the recommendation of a few posters reporting good results with two straight DVI cables, I went to purchase one. The use of two DVI cables enabled full dual monitor support. Of note, I did install the April 2nd Natit.kext, but I can't be sure whether it affected my situation at all (I'm going to assume it did and give credit and thanks to Netkas).

For the record, I'm using an ASUS PK5-E Wifi mobo with Kalyway 10.5.2 fully updated.

So again, thanks to all for their input. Special thanks to drumthrasher109 and netkas for their persistant efforts.

Success: ATI 4870 1GB (Asus DK edition)

Dual-link DVI (30") + DVI (24")

Drivers from first post enabled 1x DVI with DVI->VGA in the other plug.

Latest natit.kext from Netkas enabled my Dual-link on the 30". Full acceleration enabled.

Many thanks to those who provided the files and instructions that enabled this to happen. :)

So we can have dvi connection on the multiport cards :) (gainward gs 512mb)

Yes, and it works great for me now.

Don't know why I didn't test with OpenGL.framework from 10.5.7 earlyer :D

Got everything up and working after a few installs

My hardware

ATI 4850 w/dual dvi(forgot vendor, bought it in japan):

AMD phenom x3 8450

gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev 1.0

Fresh iPC 10.5.6 install

Things work after doing the following:

1. Monitor in DVI port AWAY from motherboard, dvi->vga adapter in port closest to motherboard

2. Install package in first post

3. Install 4850bios in first post (problem 3 thing)

4. Install newest natit.kext posted in middle of thread

At this point things were working, but only if I booted up into safe mode (-x): No QE/CI but I had my 1920x1200 at least.

5. Edited my ATIXRadeon2000.kext/Content/Info.plist to be booted w/safe mode as suggested a few pages back.

After doing that I got full QE/CI working, I'm wondering if there's a better way of doing this, right now if I try to boot in normal mode I get the light blue screen.

Either way I'm happy w/my new install :D bye bye vista

stilll no way for sleep to work? 4870? 4850? Flashing doesnt help sleep? NOt monitor sleep computer sleep.

Finally work!

I bought a Sapphire HD4830 512MB with a DVI, a HDMI and a VGA port, it is a special edition in china market that it contains 800 sp like hd4850, in other word, they are the same except the gpu and memory clock. I can easily overclock this card to 625/993 like 4850, this card can even run at 700/1150 and get a 3dmark vantage gpu score at 8000. Since there is no difference between this card and hd4850, i flashed Sapphire HD4850 512MB's bios to this card. It succeed, device id is 9442, it becomes a real hd4850. Then i get everything up and working in leopard, qe, ci, reschange, no dvi-vga adapter needed.

Setup Details:

Pathced motmot posted in this thread (Do not need DVI2VGA Adapter anymore)

DVI-> Benq 241 VW Display

Patched motmot? Where? I need to get the first post updated with all this new stuff. Maybe someone could help me out?

Also, has anyone been able to get this working with just a VGA port?

OK, I have an i7 build working perfectly with the Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB edition card. The only thing not working is the monitor won't wake up from sleep. I used the initial package, and the first kext. I am kind of confused by the second, and now the third kext randomly placed throughout this 24 page thread. Have either of them fixed the sleep problem? Both of my DVI outputs work including with HDMI adapters (no audio) with full QE/CI and resolution change. I also suffer from none of the problems with mouse delay or anything. Is there any reason for me to update to either the second or third kext. Do they help the monitor waking from sleep problem? Thanks

being impatient, i'm going to try your solution on my 4830. I'm pretty sure we've got the exact same card (Sapphire 4830 w/ HDMI/DVI/VGA) and i've grabbed the Sapph 4850 BIOS. I would wait, but i'm working on a project now where the 4830 would be a big help for 3D graphics, but i still need QE/CI working so i can run Final Cut Studio. I'll report back after i flash this thing.

Finally work!

I bought a Sapphire HD4830 512MB with a DVI, a HDMI and a VGA port, it is a special edition in china market that it contains 800 sp like hd4850, in other word, they are the same except the gpu and memory clock. I can easily overclock this card to 625/993 like 4850, this card can even run at 700/1150 and get a 3dmark vantage gpu score at 8000. Since there is no difference between this card and hd4850, i flashed Sapphire HD4850 512MB's bios to this card. It succeed, device id is 9442, it becomes a real hd4850. Then i get everything up and working in leopard, qe, ci, reschange, no dvi-vga adapter needed.

Setup Details:

Pathced motmot posted in this thread (Do not need DVI2VGA Adapter anymore)

DVI-> Benq 241 VW Display

being impatient, i'm going to try your solution on my 4830. I'm pretty sure we've got the exact same card (Sapphire 4830 w/ HDMI/DVI/VGA) and i've grabbed the Sapph 4850 BIOS. I would wait, but i'm working on a project now where the 4830 would be a big help for 3D graphics, but i still need QE/CI working so i can run Final Cut Studio. I'll report back after i flash this thing.

You must be sure that your card has 800sp like hd4850, otherwise you may break your card. You can wait for a while, netkas may release patched x2000.kext for 4830 soon (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=163439).