Installer refuses to install on drive

5 posts in this topic

The title pretty much says it all... I boot the Install DVD just fine, but when I get to the point where I format the partition and prepare to install, it borks with the red ! over my partition and says, "OS X cannot boot from this volume" or whatever the heck the exact message is. I'm a little confused, since other people have had absolutely no problems. I created the partition using fdisk from a working linux install, set the type to af and the bootable flag. My fdisk output looks as follows:

/dev/hda1		  1			  5			  40131	  83 Linux
/dev/hda2		  6			255			2008125	  82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hda3		256		   6335		   48837600	  83 Linux
/dev/hda4   *   6336		  12161		   46797345	  af Unknown

Any ideas?

By the way, the install does work if I erase the partition table using Disk Utility and repartition, but then it creates a single partition of type "EFI GPT" that I can't do anything with from my other OS's. I can't figure out how to boot from it, either, which means I have to use the install DVD to boot, which causes problems. :-/

By the way, Darwin doesn't even boot on this computer because it doesn't have the right PATA driver. Here are the system specs for the two computers I'm trying to work with.

System 1: Laptop

AMD Athlon64 3800+

ATI Radeon Xpress 200M w/ ATI IXP north/southbridge

1 GB RAM

100 GB PATA HD w/ the above 4 partitions (first 3 contain a linux install)

RTL-8139 Ethernet

Broadcom BCM4306 802.11b/g wireless

System 2: Tower

AMD Athlon64 3500+

Nforce3 Ultra (Nforce 3 250 rev. 2)

1 GB RAM

30 GB PATA HD w/ 3 partitions: Boot partition, Windows XP, and Mac OS

Onboard ethernet

Ralink RT2500-based 802.11b/g wireless card

I installed Darwin on system 2 and am hoping that in so doing, it will allow me to install/boot Mac OS X. As I mentioned, Darwin will not even boot on system 1.

Not that it matters, since clearly no one else is having my problem or can reproduce it, but Darwin didn't solve the problem either. The installer still said, "Mac OS X cannot start from this volume."

Not that it matters, since clearly no one else is having my problem or can reproduce it, but Darwin didn't solve the problem either. The installer still said, "Mac OS X cannot start from this volume."