Server 2008 Hyper-V + Mac OS X Leopard

DGDev

10 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I am new here and hope this is not a redundant topic. As such, I hope I have posted this inquiry in the correct forum section. That said, after conducting several searches on these forums, I was unable to come up with a final answer to my dilemma. I'm wondering if someone knowledgeable would be willing to point me in the right direction.

Several months ago I had attempted to install the Kalaway version of Mac OS X on a VMWare setup running on Windows Server 2003; to no avail. After multiple attempts, I could not get anything going.

I'm a Windows developer and have recently upgraded to Server 2008. Along with this, I've updated my BIOS and setup Hyper-V. Everything is working great, however I would like to make another attempt at installing OS X so I can develop iPhone Apps. The iPhone SDK requires Leopard and I have myself a retail copy. Before I set about attempting the install, I thought I'd come here for some expert advice.

My Setup:

Windows Server 2008 x64 w/ Hyper-V

AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 4200+

8GB DDR Ram

XFX nVidia GeForce 8600 GT

Since my last unsuccessful attempt at installing a Virtual OS X, I have seen several new "hacked" releases (other than Kalaway) and am curious about everyone's experiences with them.

Questions:

1. Can OS X Leopard be installed on Server 2008 Hyper-V? Are there any success stories?

2. If so, has anyone written a tutorial, or can someone point me to useful information.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

-Danny

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

i'm gonna try and let you know what happen here ;)
That's what they all say...

I already managed an installation of osx on my pc, it shouldn't be so hard on hyper-v...

It will make a difference if MacOSX does not support Hyper-V's virtual hardware - that is the question.

I do not want to waste time trying, until I have heard from just one single person that says that they have managed to do it.

I have actually found Hyper-V v1 to be far too unreliable on my server anyhow.  I'm going to try v2 on Windows Server 2008 R2, but I am planning to move back to VMware ESXi, so I am interested in one day hearing from anybody that has managed to install MacOSX on either a Hyper-V or VMware ESXi virtual machine.

Hello everyone,

I am new here and hope this is not a redundant topic. As such, I hope I have posted this inquiry in the correct forum section. That said, after conducting several searches on these forums, I was unable to come up with a final answer to my dilemma. I'm wondering if someone knowledgeable would be willing to point me in the right direction.

Several months ago I had attempted to install the Kalaway version of Mac OS X on a VMWare setup running on Windows Server 2003; to no avail. After multiple attempts, I could not get anything going.

I'm a Windows developer and have recently upgraded to Server 2008. Along with this, I've updated my BIOS and setup Hyper-V. Everything is working great, however I would like to make another attempt at installing OS X so I can develop iPhone Apps. The iPhone SDK requires Leopard and I have myself a retail copy. Before I set about attempting the install, I thought I'd come here for some expert advice.

My Setup:

Windows Server 2008 x64 w/ Hyper-V

AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 4200+

8GB DDR Ram

XFX nVidia GeForce 8600 GT

Since my last unsuccessful attempt at installing a Virtual OS X, I have seen several new "hacked" releases (other than Kalaway) and am curious about everyone's experiences with them.

Questions:

1. Can OS X Leopard be installed on Server 2008 Hyper-V? Are there any success stories?

2. If so, has anyone written a tutorial, or can someone point me to useful information.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

-Danny

Hello Danny,

I've been trying to do the same thing half year ago and no success at all. Unfortunately, no distro or retail of Mac OS X will work on Hyper-V. I'll copy the answer from Ben Armstrong (Virtual PC Guy from Microsoft) he said few years ago on simmilar question.

"Mac OS X requires that the computer has an APIC - which we do not emulate"

This is actually answer for virtualizing Mac OS X in Virtual PC, but since Hyper-V is using similar tehnology (APIC is still no go for Hyper-V) and there are no drivers for VM's this is still not possible.

Cheers.

I just did a bit of googling, which suggests that Hyper-V does emulate APIC, while VirtualPC does not. Are you sure that Hyper-V does not? It also seems that VMware ESXi 'fully' emulates it, so maybe that will work?

Honestly, I cannot be sure 100% but I was getting pretty much the same errors as in Virtual PC. Btw, Microsoft has two hardware models (emulated and enlightened hardware). When you install OS in Hyper-V virtual machine, you have emulated hardware "under" it (legacy, same as in Virtual PC... that's why instalation is slow), but when Integration Components are installed on supported OS, virtual machine uses maximum of real hardware.

I googled too, and didn't find official support for APIC : / Maybe when Integration Components install, if OS is Hyper-V supported, you can get it to work. But still no use for Mac OS X...

Cheers ; )

EDIT: Officially now, Hyper-V does have epic, actually it's in hypervisor! See here more on Hyper-V Architecture