Use OS X as main OS?

homers

11 posts in this topic

Hi

I currently use Windows Vista and OS X 10.5.6. I use WIndows as my main OS and it stores all my music etc.

I have this problem with Vista where it just randomly freezes. I had this problem before and I had to format the Vista partition but it has come back.

I was wondering whether it is safe to use OS X 10.5.6 as my main OS? I would only use Vista for playing games because I am fed up with all the problems I get with Vista.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

I've been using OSx86 as my only OS for weeks now and it's rock solid. Kind of depends on your PC though. If it runs perfectly w/o any problems, then I would say go for it. And seriously if it doesn't work out, so what? You can always switch back, right?

I don't know really how you could make it, but let me tell you that the day I completely switched to OS X as my main OS from Windows, the feeling is just happiness and satisfaction. Windows always feel faster and stable until you started to load a lot of applications, then became unstable, freeze one day or the other. A complete mess. With Mac OS X, I have a bunch of applications loaded and I never feel any performance degradation, this is the beauty of OS X, it feels like it was installed fresh all the time. It is really amazing!!! :hysterical:

Hi

I currently use Windows Vista and OS X 10.5.6. I use WIndows as my main OS and it stores all my music etc.

I have this problem with Vista where it just randomly freezes. I had this problem before and I had to format the Vista partition but it has come back.

I was wondering whether it is safe to use OS X 10.5.6 as my main OS? I would only use Vista for playing games because I am fed up with all the problems I get with Vista.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

I've been using OSx86 as my only OS for weeks now and it's rock solid. Kind of depends on your PC though. If it runs perfectly w/o any problems, then I would say go for it. And seriously if it doesn't work out, so what? You can always switch back, right?

I got stuck using OSx86 on my computer with no Windows, since I lost the restore disk. I didn't have very many problems, but you might want to be careful when it comes down to updates. Try to keep backups of important files. When I finally went back to Windows, I missed OS X, and started a duel boot.

Thanks for all your replies.

I will use OS X as my main OS from now on.

Your welcome one thing you may want to consider is getting an external USB drive so you can put a partition on it for testing your install when upgrades are released to OS X. This way you could clone your install to the external install your boot loader of choice onto it then boot from external upgrade to see if any problems are encountered before doing the upgrade on your main install.

Your welcome one thing you may want to consider is getting an external USB drive so you can put a partition on it for testing your install when upgrades are released to OS X. This way you could clone your install to the external install your boot loader of choice onto it then boot from external upgrade to see if any problems are encountered before doing the upgrade on your main install.

Download Pacifist and check updates before doing them is probably another easy solution. You just need to know what you're doing and be a little bit patient before running everything that pops up. Who cares if you don't get the update the day it's released. Read through the board first and find out if it's really safe and pay especially attention to which kexts are updated and stuff like that. It's not THAT hard to go without a cloned system. An external HDD is probably a good idea thought (for Time Machine, so you'll have at least all your files in case something goes wrong).

I have been using OS X on a Hackintosh since version 10.4.3 as my main OS. On my desktop I don't even have a dual boot any more. If I need Windows I load it up in Parallels or VMWare. Sure you will have some frustrations along the way, but IMHO even a hackintosh is more stable then Windows on a day-to-day basis.