Submit your hardware to the OSx86 DB

Ed

25 posts in this topic

You'll soon be able to post your own submissions to our shiny new OSx86 DB shortly - the database is currently down whilst we prepare to launch the submission feature, stay tuned to this topic for more info!

There's no need to log in to make your submissions so registration-shy Guests are welcome to help out too. The hardware list is based on data ported from our trusty old Wiki, but you can submit new devices to the existing categories too.

Many thanks and respect to our friends at OSx86 Library - we were hoping to tie up a deal which would see us collaborating on this epic project together, but we've agreed to stay on separate paths for now, but we're not ruling out working together in the future.

If you have any queries or feature requests or suggestions for the OSx86 DB, here's a good place to start posting them!

I hope you have a system to avoid duplicates and merge similar info into ONE useful post. I hate having to read a million different conflicting experiences regarding a single piece of hardware, and the same OS version - people don't even know how to test or report HW.

Of course, this will of course be managed through the admin system which we'll be rolling out to the Staff, so you can rest assured there'll be no duplicates - the DB is a much more efficient way of finding answers, not to mention a much more structured way of organising the data

Of course, this will of course be managed through the admin system which we'll be rolling out to the Staff, so you can rest assured there'll be no duplicates - the DB is a much more efficient way of finding answers, not to mention a much more structured way of organising the data

Delete all your current entries and start from scratch as most of them are from OSx86 Library. We had members come and make entries alone, if a site that's seperate from InsanelyMac can, then so can InsanelyMac itself.

Delete all your current entries and start from scratch as most of them are from OSx86 Library. We had members come and make entries alone, if a site that's seperate from InsanelyMac can, then so can InsanelyMac itself.

By that same token the website to which you are affiliated in your signature has a number of posts copy/pasted word-for-word from this forum.. I know because I saw with my own eyes a tutorial on prelinked kernel generation that I myself made, with the script I made to do exactly that.

Double standard? I think so.

By that same token the website to which you are affiliated in your signature has a number of posts copy/pasted word-for-word from this forum.. I know because I saw with my own eyes a tutorial on prelinked kernel generation that I myself made, with the script I made to do exactly that.

Double standard? I think so.

Actually, not a double standard.

The difference is that no one who did not know about OSx86 library would have noticed the forgery without either looking on their own or having someone showed them.

I believe the post you are referring to, which was done by me, if you read it again, at the very beginning, you'll notice something called credit. In fact, it says exactly "This guide is verbatim copied from InsanelyMac, written by realityiswhere." Complete with a direct link back to the thread here on InsanelyMac. I take no credit for the guide in any sense of that post.

So... wanna try that argument again?

Actually, not a double standard.

The difference is that no one who did not know about OSx86 library would have noticed the forgery without either looking on their own or having someone showed them.

I believe the post you are referring to, which was done by me, if you read it again, at the very beginning, you'll notice something called credit. In fact, it says exactly "This guide is verbatim copied from InsanelyMac, written by realityiswhere." Complete with a direct link back to the thread here on InsanelyMac. I take no credit for the guide in any sense of that post.

So... wanna try that argument again?

I have much respect for you, realityiswhere, but please recognize that InsanelyMac isn't giving credit where credit is due.

Hara Taiki, why do you continue to post here after you've publicly & repeatedly announced your dissent towards insanelymac? Frankly you've got nothing to contribute sans arguing & whining.

Who really cares where they got the info? The only issue was removing incorrect/inaccurate entries. That is comparable me getting information from the wiki & complaining that someone didn't tell me in person. The information remains the same.

Hara Taiki, why do you continue to post here after you've publicly & repeatedly announced your dissent towards insanelymac? Frankly you've got nothing to contribute sans arguing & whining.

That was an isolated "incident", and it was justified honestly, but behind the scenes I've made the proper amends, so don't worry your little head. As far as contributing, I think you should look a little deeper.

However, semantics like this slow down progress.

Who really cares where they got the info? The only issue was removing incorrect/inaccurate entries. That is comparable me getting information from the wiki & complaining that someone didn't tell me in person. The information remains the same.

A lot of the people like Tim Smart and Sabr who created the very OSx86 Library they committed forgery from, plus the people who contributed to their database obviously care. They put a lot of hard work into it. Using it as a base was a poor call, it's been outdated for a long while. If they actually read the data, maybe they would have seen this and came up with a better solution or something. In fact, the Wiki would have been a better place to get data from, and since it's part of InsanelyMac (as far as I can tell), there probably would have been less of a fuss about it.

Fubra was not intending to deceive anyone with the info, so how can this be classified as forgery? They weren't trying to go, "haha! with this info, we'll be sure to look like OSx86 Library!" Get over it.

In any case the incident was already apologized for and MoC just seemed itchin' to bring it up again.

As you can all see the hardware DB has now been withdrawn until the stolen content can be purged and the DB relaunched. On behalf of InsanelyMac I'd like to apologize for appropriating this information which was done with the best of intentions. As one of the admins at osx86Library is also an admin here, some people here at InsanelyMac figured they would have no objection to our using their material for our own purposes. However an objection was made, and as we couldn't agree on terms for using the material freely, we have agreed to remove the stolen material. Once more, our apologies.

Hagar also has this to say on the subject of the whole database issue: "ohhhhhhh... gggngngngngngngngngnaaaaargrhah." Interpret it however you like, but the meaning is pretty obvious: frustration towards the (supposedly already rectified) situation. If I may make a suggestion, it would be to kindly shut the {censored} up and mind your own business.

btw I don't consider iPC a contribution let alone a deep one.

Fubra was not intending to deceive anyone with the info, so how can this be classified as forgery? They weren't trying to go, "haha! with this info, we'll be sure to look like OSx86 Library!" Get over it.

In any case the incident was already apologized for and MoC just seemed itchin' to bring it up again.

Hagar also has this to say on the subject of the whole database issue: "ohhhhhhh... gggngngngngngngngngnaaaaargrhah." Interpret it however you like, but the meaning is pretty obvious: frustration towards the (supposedly already rectified) situation. If I may make a suggestion, it would be to kindly shut the {censored} up and mind your own business.

btw I don't consider iPC a contribution let alone a deep one.

Your point is? Everyone is free to speak up in regards to it.

Also, I wasn't referring to iPC at all as for my contributions. Like I said, look a little deeper. There's more to it than the forums, that's the only hint you get. :-*

Me and Sabr have just finished build! http://www.osx86library.com/hardware/build.php

We want to clean up the UI a little bit more, but it is still a cool piece of kit. Hope you enjoy it.

We also need some people to help clean up the Database entries, filling in information where needed. This will make it easier for people to find what they are looking for, and will also make the Build feature work better and more accurately, as it works directly off the information in the database.

Stroke, how the {censored} can you justify copying and pasting info without giving any credit or citation ? It's called plagiarism. That said I appreciate Ed's hard efforts to sort out this mess :D

I'll sound hypocritical but stroke has a point about something. It's still hardware information, and it's not something you can plagerize. The thing in this situation is that they copied the information and pasted it the way we had it displayed, or close enough. It's a double edged sword.

Guys, thanks for all the hardware submissions so far, this database is going to seriously rock. I reckon we'll have all the data up by the end of the week, after which we'll need some help appraising all the ongoing submissions! More on that soon, in the meantime, please keep all the reports coming, and any further feedback or feature requests are greatly appreciated.

Stroke, how the {censored} can you justify copying and pasting info without giving any credit or citation ? It's called plagiarism. That said I appreciate Ed's hard efforts to sort out this mess :|

Does "not giving a {censored}" serve as a justification? Maybe you should try it some time.

Me and Sabr have just finished build! http://www.osx86library.com/hardware/build.php

We want to clean up the UI a little bit more, but it is still a cool piece of kit. Hope you enjoy it.

We also need some people to help clean up the Database entries, filling in information where needed. This will make it easier for people to find what they are looking for, and will also make the Build feature work better and more accurately, as it works directly off the information in the database.

Looks great!, Im willing to help with the database. Drop me a PM if you wish so!

Leopard 10.5.3 is missing from "Installation method compatibility" list in Osx86 DB, need to be fixed. I also think that graphic cards should be divided just between Nvidia/ATi/Intel; there's no really difference (for example) between a EVGA 8800GT and a ASUS 8800GT.

Personally, I don't like the idea of this hardware database being maintained by InsanelyMac. The idea belongs to Sabr and Tim Smart. I feel you should ask them if they would allow the idea to exist on InsanelyMac in the first place. If they don't allow it, then I think you should remove it. If they allow it, then fine.

@Hara Taiki - we've got our own ideas about how to execute this, and other people have their own ideas - for the avoidance of doubt, we are committing 100% to going full throttle with the OSx86 Database, and I look forward to reading your future comments when we've delivered the most comprehensive and active OSx86 database in the world :(

@Hara Taiki - we've got our own ideas about how to execute this, and other people have their own ideas - for the avoidance of doubt, we are committing 100% to going full throttle with the OSx86 Database, and I look forward to reading your future comments when we've delivered the most comprehensive and active OSx86 database in the world :(

Hype wont make it better, keep that in mind.

Just make sure it doesn't infringe on something else is all I am saying, and don't discourage other's that are not part of InsanelyMac from trying on their own, that's the fun of this project.

Good luck.