Need help from someone who can use terminal well!

Nevadabob

3 posts in this topic

Hi, I tried to install an automator script on my OSX box (10.5.6), which can be found here: http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/f146/60657.htm I tried installing it, but foolishly rebooted it when nothing was displayed on the screen. Now I get a kernel panic where it is "Resetting IOCatalogue" continuously. I was wondering if someone with good knowledge of the terminal could help me reverse the steps it took to restore it back to normal. As far as I am aware the automator script basically backed up my two original kext files into a new folder on my desktop and replaced them with it's own kext files.

Here are the steps the automator script does:

1. checks if you are at Mac OS X 10.5.6 or better (if not will quit)

2. show a readme

3. quits all running apps (with save option)

4. backup the original files (AppleUSBHub.kext and IOUSBCompositeDriver.kext from 10.5.6) in a new folder on your Desktop

5. ask for your admin password

6. copy AppleUSBHub.kext and IOUSBCompositeDriver.kext from 10.5.5 into the desired location on your Mac

7. set owner:group and permissions

8. rebuild the kextcache

9. reboot your Mac

If someone could help me some commands to use in single-user mode that would be awesome!

THANK YOU SO MUCH TO ANYONE WHO REPLIES!

Well if you can boot in single user mode, then it really should be super easy if it is just the kexts that are causing the problems....if not then i cant help...

/sbin/mount -uw /

cd /System/Library/Extensions

ls -m

rm -rf nameofkextodelete.kext

cd /

cd /Users/yourusername/Desktop

ls

mv /Users/yourusername/Desktop/thefolderkextsarein/nameofkext /System/Library/Extensions

Well if you can boot in single user mode, then it really should be super easy if it is just the kexts that are causing the problems....if not then i cant help...

/sbin/mount -uw /

cd /System/Library/Extensions

ls -m

rm -rf nameofkextodelete.kext

cd /

cd /Users/yourusername/Desktop

ls

mv /Users/yourusername/Desktop/thefolderkextsarein/nameofkext /System/Library/Extensions

If -s (single user mode) doesn't work, boot your leopard DVD and when you get to the installer screen click utilities > Terminal.

cd /Volumes/*INSERT DRIVE NAME HERE* and then do the necessary commands...