Terminal help

mikeveli20

4 posts in this topic

I removed my IOPCIFamily.kext from the /System/Library/Extensions folder and before I could install a new one, my power went out and then when it came back and I restarted my computer I got a kernel panic relating to no IOPCIFamily.kext being there.

So I booted to the installation DVD (iDeneb 1.3) and opened up a terminal, but I can't seem to figure out how to do anything. I have my replacement IOPCIFamily.kext on my desktop but can't figure out how to move it to my System/Library/Extensions folder or to even access my hard drive for that matter. I tried accessing my hard drive by typing /dev/disk0s2 but it told me Permission Denied. I then tried repairing the permission on /dev/disk0s2 by typing diskutil repairPermissions /dev/disk0s2. The permissions repair seemed to work but I still get the same message when I try to access the drive.

Can someone help me get this file to where it needs to go and also let me know if there is a different procedure to install the kext once it's in the proper location since I'm running terminal from the install DVD. Thanks.

Well you can try Single User Mode. Boot using -s

Once at the command prompt type:

/sbin/mount -uw /

You should now be in the root directory of your drive so you can install by doing the following

1. Give yourself root privileges so that you can modify files. I dont think you really need that in single user mode.

sudo -s

2. Change directories to your /S/L folder

cd /System/Library

3. Copy the kext from your desktop to your extensions folder Replacing MYKEXT with the name of yours.

cp -r ~/Desktop/MYKEXT.kext Extensions/MYKEXT.kext

4. Set the proper permissions for the extensions folder.

chmod -R 755 Extensions/

5. Set the proper ownership for the extensions folder.

chown -R root:wheel Extensions/

6. Touch the extensions folder

touch Extensions/

7. Remove the extensions cache to force OSX to rebuild it with our new kext.

rm -rf Extensions.mkext

8. Reboot using the boot-flags -v -f

-v Verbose Mode displays useful information during the boot process.

-f Forces OSX to load kexts from the extensions folder instead of the cache file. We did delete the cache file so this is just a precaution.

Single-User mode when booting from the CD:

I booted into single user mode using -s but I can only get as far as cd System/Library.

When I type in the next step it tells me,

cp: /var/root/Desktop/IOPCIFamily.kext: No such file or directory

Also, when in System/Library I typed in "ls" (minus the quotes) to get a directory list and it came up with some directories but the Desktop dir wasn't even listed. Neither was Extensions.

Single-User mode when booting from the HDD:

Can't even get to anywhere where I can type. There's a bunch of text talking about the missing IOPCIFamily.kext file etc. etc. and then at the bottom it says,

Mac OS Version:

Not yet set

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.6.0: Mon Nov 24 17:37:00 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.9.59~1/RELEASE_I386

Underneath that is a white box and I can't type anything.

• 3 months later...

Bump for this one! I have the same problem, but didnt keep the IOPCIFamily.kext on my HD at all! I deleted it by mistake!

How would I go about getting it from the install DVD now?

I am on ipc0sx86 PPF5

Bump for this one! I have the same problem, but didnt keep the IOPCIFamily.kext on my HD at all! I deleted it by mistake!

How would I go about getting it from the install DVD now?

I am on ipc0sx86 PPF5