Maxintosh

12" Mac Tablet from Tech Crunch almost here!

12 posts in this topic

Everyday it looks more and more like a reality that there will soon be a usable 12" Mac tablet available on the market soon. Check out this one from Tech Crunch. Looks very promising. The best news is that is will only cost around 300.00 :blink: The unit will ship with Ubuntu Linux but adding OS X is said to be very easy and straight forward. Since Apple is stuborn and won't come to market with a tablet of their own, look for third party ventures to fill the gap. At 300.00 this tablet would sell like popcorn ;)

Advertisement
Dream on about the $300 price point. It's not going to happen. Ever.

Why? All it is is basically a netbook. It's not like it's super strong and fast. The whole point of this thing is to be cheap.

they very specifically stated that it boots directly to the browser... so there's your limitation.

and honestly i don't think anyone wants to undertake patching/ or making a kernel for a via chip... generally they just plain suck. heck that's prolly why it's so cheap.

the first tablet mac is a modbook.... A australian/american company modifies macbooks and puts a tablet on them to make a tablet mac... google it..

very expensive though

I dont know why somebody would want a pure touchscreen device. If you would want one, you should buy a umpc.. They look good,too..

But that - no! That looks boring and..cheap.

Would not want one.

The thing, why it is so cheap, is the screen - 4:3 !!!!!!! I never would want 4:3.. because in a laptop I need 16:9 or 16:10 for watching films.. HD films.

I think it's {censored}, sorry, guys..

for yours or my use yes, but to someone who wants a simple web use only touch screen device... it's that... or spend $1300+ for a HD capable UMPC

Well yes but I think that there were interesting things on the cebit that showed, that people just need to wait..

There will be great gadgets, especially for the internet on the go.. And of course they are going to be cheap as they will use the atom technology as well..

just look at the netvertibles, quite interesting because nearly the whole hardware works with osx from previous devices like eee pc ...

So that is going to be cool..