Abbas

26 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i think i'll bouy one for a friend but not before september

the idea is to buy the 41 release.. but inside.. they are quite similar

so can you describe all the architecture?

it has the same cpu as the mbp but has two gpu, the 9300gs by nvidia, and the 4500hd. who cares if we get it working with the intel igp if we can get it working the with 9300gs(which is more battery efficient than the 9400 in the MBP). I think wifi in intel based as this is also part of the centrino 2 platform for wireless. you can get with ssd or hd, dvd burner drive or the "bag of hurt" blu-ray burner.

It won't work well.

You will get a picture with the Intel chipset, but only at 1024x768, as there aren't any drivers (nor will there be any, ever). The Nvidia chipset can be made to work only with an external display. No Sony notebooks with Nvidia chipsets have been made to work with the internal screen, as far as I know.

Sound and Ethernet will work, but WiFi doesn't.

The screen is the main problem, and it doesn't look like there will ever be a solution, so that's the deal breaker, really.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

People, people...

u can dream 'bout getting Snow Leopard onto Sony Vaio Z as long a u can, but the sad and cruel fact is, there's absolutely no way to get it work properly due to many circumstances. The biggest disappointment would be probably the switchable graphics which won't let u go further. In fact because there's no fully developed kext for the built-in Intel 4500mhd card on HackIntosh (and there never will be as they say;) forget 'bout any decent graphic performance there. Wifi connection won't work for the same reason as well.

Frankly, as a Z690 user I managed to install SL, however just couldn't be happy enough, but used it couple of days only. I better stick with my dual boot Windows 7/Ubuntu 9.10 choise.

I was told by insiders from the crew (not insanelymac now) the SNC device is the real troublemaker there.

Anyways, if u want have a decent running Snow Leopard u have 2 options left:

1) run it virtually through VMWare (my case) - not so bad until u get used to it (not perfect though)

2) buy a Mac - the best option available, hell yeah

Have a good day :)

• 4 months later...
the 9300M GS works great in other laptops. i don't see why it would not work in the Z series.

it doesn't work because intel 4500 has priority in sony laptop and intel 4500 is activates nvidia card, we should change fully DSDT, intel card should be deleted fully and all mechanism of detecting display should be in Nvidia card. That's the point.

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I have got (nearly) good news.

I installed 10.6.2 Hazard SL on a Vaio z21wn/b.

In the setup I did not choose any graphics driver.

After Setup I installed Chameleon RC4 via setup package (pkg). I downloaded and installed the by Deviato modded Chameleon RC4 MR2 to get native resolution via kernel flag (Graphics Mode=1600*900*32). Works perfect (w/o QE/CI) in stamina mode. There is NO WAY to use the Nvidia Chip on the internal screen.

I also managed to get the internal sim/3G reader activated. I downloaded some drivers from option (GT229 or 225(?) drivers for MAC OS-X) and from vodaphone (VodaphoneMCINstaller.2.11.06.00.dmg) to get it done. You need the vodaophone drivers, even without using them, to get the option drivers recognize there is a reader, i think.

Input:

I used the "2-Finger Alps driver" for the touchpad, works great. You'll find it here inside.

WLAN:

I changed the Intel 5100AGN using a Dell 1510 (Broadcom, works oob).

LAN:

Use Intel 1000M drivers.

Motion Eye Cam works oob

PCCardExpress works oob, I inserted a e-sata AHCI adaptor, works.

Sound works oob

Voodoo Battery manager works

Issues:

"About my Mac" does not work.

Sleep does not work.

Hibernate results in KP.

NVIDIA Graphics do not work, Intel GMA x4500 MHD only via hacked VESA mode without QE/CI.

Touchstrip biometrics do not work. (until now)

Sony Vaio Hotkeys (PI) do not work. Especially the dual power management switch (Speed/Stamina)

When I managed to get more things running (SLEEP!), I will tell a little bit more about the kexts I used.

I also own a 2,4 GHz MB. Just beginning to forget it, because 1600*900 on a 13,1" Macbook is even better!

Philipp

• 4 weeks later...
Hi!

After Setup I installed Chameleon RC4 via setup package (pkg). I downloaded and installed the by Deviato modded Chameleon RC4 MR2 to get native resolution via kernel flag (Graphics Mode=1600*900*32). Works perfect (w/o QE/CI) in stamina mode. There is NO WAY to use the Nvidia Chip on the internal screen.

I also managed to get the internal sim/3G reader activated. I downloaded some drivers from option (GT229 or 225(?) drivers for MAC OS-X) and from vodaphone (VodaphoneMCINstaller.2.11.06.00.dmg) to get it done. You need the vodaophone drivers, even without using them, to get the option drivers recognize there is a reader, i think.

Input:

I used the "2-Finger Alps driver" for the touchpad, works great. You'll find it here inside.

WLAN:

LAN:

Use Intel 1000M drivers.

Motion Eye Cam works oob

Sound works oob

Issues:

Sleep does not work.

Hibernate results in KP.

NVIDIA Graphics do not work, Intel GMA x4500 MHD only via hacked VESA mode without QE/CI.

Sony Vaio Hotkeys (PI) do not work. Especially the dual power management switch (Speed/Stamina)

When I managed to get more things running (SLEEP!), I will tell a little bit more about the kexts I used.

I also own a 2,4 GHz MB. Just beginning to forget it, because 1600*900 on a 13,1" Macbook is even better!

Philipp

Nice work. I just picked up a Z series over the weekend and wanted to know if you have a tutorial on installing SL on the laptop. I've managed to install regular Leopard on here but wasn't too thrilled bout the resolution. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi!

This is awesome news. I'm going to have to give this a try. If we can get sleep working this will be a very usable OSX machine (along side windows anyway).

Here are my findings after installing Hazard on an external hard drive with a VGN-Z610Y

Updates:

• I was able to update to 10.6.4 by downloading and installing the 10.6.4 Combo Update and not restarting after installation, then installing Legacy Kernel 10.6.4 and rebooting.
  • All other updates worked fine
  • Chameleon (RC2, RC3, RC4) results is a kernel panic after selecting my OSX install to boot, not sure how to get this to work (tried installing it on the external, did not want to ruin my other installs). Grub was able to find the OSX install and it seems to boot fine.

Graphics:

• The 4500m HD works but is stuck in 1024x768, and does not support hardware acceration, there are currently no proper drivers available for this GPU. Video out does not work, naturally.
  • The 9300m GS does work but it does not have acceleration and it is stuck in 1280x720, there is supposedly a way to get acceleration using GraphicsEnabler and modified nVidia drivers, but since I was unable to get Chameleon to work properly I have not had any luck. Video out does not seem to work either.
  • System profiler detects the 9300m GS properly, the reason might be that Ubuntu forces the card to stay on the nVidia side or Intel side until the switch is moved into another position and rebooted, if I go straight from Windows to OSX it won't boot properly when on the nVidia.

Network:

• Wired lan works fine with the proper Kext. Intel82566MM.kext worked for me.
  • The Wireless Lan does not seem to have a proper driver as of yet so the only option is to switch it out with a supported card as mentioned by Philipp30.

Audio/Camera

• Audio output seems to work fine.
  • Headphones work.
  • Camera seems to function, seems to be much lower quality than normal.
  • Internal Mic does not seem to work.
  • External Mic does not seem to work.
  • HDMI will likely not output any audio, did not test though.

Buttons:

• Volume keys work fine.
  • Brightness keys do not work, we need working video drivers for these to function.
  • S1 and S2 buttons do not function, not even with USB Overdrive.
  • Top DVD eject button does not work, not even with USB Overdrive.

There are of course a lot more problems, but that should be enough for now. :D

A little update.

I got Chameleon working and the Intel graphics is now running at the native resolution (1366x768).

I was also able to get the nVidia drivers installed with QE/CI working, but like was mentioned before the internal LCD is not detected and stays black.

While using the nVidia GPU VGA out is fully functional, and I was able to run at 1920x1200 on my monitor. Expose and all the graphical effects are fast and run like they should.

I have not tested HDMI out yet.

• 3 weeks later...
A little update.

I got Chameleon working and the Intel graphics is now running at the native resolution (1366x768).

I was also able to get the nVidia drivers installed with QE/CI working, but like was mentioned before the internal LCD is not detected and stays black.

While using the nVidia GPU VGA out is fully functional, and I was able to run at 1920x1200 on my monitor. Expose and all the graphical effects are fast and run like they should.

I have not tested HDMI out yet.

hey there..

have vaio z21

vanilla kernel 10.6.4

internal cam oob

bluetooth oob

Ethernet with ee1000.kexts

vodoobatery.kext

nvidia 9300m gs with chamelon rc5 graphicenabler option.. not internal screen trough.. using hdmi out and workin well with my sony monitor full qe/ci 1600x1200 res

just wonder what ur using for sound ? i've tryed lastest voodooHDA and gettin kernel panics all the time.. tryed both 32 and 64bits..

thnx

hey there..

have vaio z21

vanilla kernel 10.6.4

internal cam oob

bluetooth oob

Ethernet with ee1000.kexts

vodoobatery.kext

nvidia 9300m gs with chamelon rc5 graphicenabler option.. not internal screen trough.. using hdmi out and workin well with my sony monitor full qe/ci 1600x1200 res

just wonder what ur using for sound ? i've tryed lastest voodooHDA and gettin kernel panics all the time.. tryed both 32 and 64bits..

thnx

Sound worked from the get go. No special kexts were needed for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Update/Downgrade:

I at least began hating this hacking on such an expensive notebook. Made the money come back and updated to a macbook pro 13". Or downgrade, whatever.

I use it with my jb iphone4. "tetherme", "my3G" and other great stuff running on it. No longer need of internal SIM in the notebook.

I just like it. All you folks, stop trying to get a cube to become a ball.

Just exchange your sony diamond to a mac and relax. Resolution isn't ALL that counts on a machine running SL.

Now just waiting for jb on ios4.1 and ichat-2-facetime upgrades expected in SL 10.6.5 or 10.7.

Greetings

Philipp

• 3 weeks later...
Hi!

Input:

WLAN:

LAN:

Use Intel 1000M drivers.

Motion Eye Cam works oob

Sound works oob

Issues:

Sleep does not work.

Hibernate results in KP.

Philipp

Thats so great working (almost)superb in your VAIO Z.

I also have a VAIO Z and trying to have SnowLeopard installed in it, but it causes kernel panic right after booting from Chameleon bootloader (it boots with safe mode but it doesn't read my thumb drives and other external drives, and takes much more time to boot compared to the original Mac hardware as well). I have successfully installed Leopard in another partition by iATKOS v7, but I wanted SnowLeopard to make iOS SDK 4 work...

My model of VAIO Z is VGN-Z71JB, that is the model bought in Japan, but I think those hardwares are almost the same with yours. I'm trying so many ways to install SnowLeopard, but now I will narrow down the install method to Hazard.

Therefore, I wondered which kernel extentions you used in your successfull installation of your SnowLeopard in your VAIO Z.

I hope I can hear from you :(

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have a VGN-z31mn.

I try to install Snow Leopard with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] + SL 10.6 original and with SL by Hazard but in first time after install the screen stay black and with the second way i have a kernel panic but I don't know why.

Someone can help us with a very short guide or tell us which distritution in better?

Thank's

ps

i use an external hdd for the test...

Can it be a problem?

• 1 month later...