DiaboliK

Asus P5N7A-VM

1,295 posts in this topic

Short story: Things are working really well now. Sleep has been an issue but I haven't yet tried deleting disabler.kext or other solutions posted here. Sleep actually causes the system to hang so badly that I need to unplug AC power (if I use the reset button or press and hold the power button, the BIOS won't come up or I get various BIOS errors).

Long story: I ended up starting over with a new install (again following Ufdah's tutorial line by line except skipped NVkush). I still couldn't get it to boot normally (only into safe mode). I thought maybe the 10.5.6 update wasn't installing correctly (when I shutdown my Macbook with the SATA drive attached (Ufdah's step #7), it would hang at the "updating boot caches" portion). So I booted into safe mode and installed the 10.5.6 Combo updater. Still no go. So into safe mode again and repeated setp #4. Repaired permissions to fix the audio kexts and SUCCESS. The machine runs nice and fast (encodes H.264 twice as fast as my Macbook). Remote control works great with Remote Buddy. I'm still adding other peripherals (EyeTV Hybrid) and software but so far, so good.

Thanks again to everyone and especially to Diabolik, Ufdah, and anitanium.

I'll tackle sleep next weekend. And patiently wait for Apple to add the Overscan option back to the Display preferences (which disappeared for me under 10.5.6). My Samsung DLP cuts off about 5% of the screen edges so I can't see the menu bar.

Thanks for everyone's great work. I'm a total n00b and followed Ufdah's tutorial to the letter (including DiaboliK's DSDT from 2/16/09). It booted up fine the first time and things seemed to work OK. Based on some recent posts from DiaboliK, I thought I didn't need to install nvkush due his new DSDT. But I had some screen artifacts when scrolling in Console, Firefox, Safari, etc. I also couldn't choose any other resolution except 1280x1024. So I installed nvkush and now it hangs on the Apple logo. I'm not sure if nvkush caused the bootup hang since I never restarted without nvkush. It will boot into safe mode OK but I still can only choose one resolution. Any ideas? Thanks!

Asus P5N7A-VM (0504), Intel Q9400 (stock), 4GB G.Skill, integrated graphics only.

EDIT: A few more things:

1) I installed onto a SATA drive using a USB adapter connected to a Late 2007 Macbook. If using Ufdah's tutorial, do I need to use a Unibody Macbook?

2) When booting in verbose mode, the more notable items are:

IGPU: family specific matching fails [repeats 4-5 times]

NVKush: By DiaboliK, I Can Has Model? Detected, a DiaboliK Joint---------

Matching service count = 0

AppleHDA.kext failed to load: able to locate 'layout -ld' property.

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - WaitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

Feb 23 00:42:24 system-product-name ntpd[31]: bind() fd 27, family 30, port 123, scope 0, addr [XXX], in6_is_addr_multicas t=0 flags=17 fails: Can't assign requested address

[hangs here]

3) If I don't delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, then I get a kernel panic.

4) I've repaired permissions with no apparent effect

Advertisement

hi. I followed the tutorial to the letter and it just hangs when loading at the start. in verbose it hangs here:

Loading HFS+ file: [/system/Library/Extensions/TMSafetyNet.kext/Contents/MacOS/TMSafetyNet] from 4234670.

any help would be appreciated. newb here. thanks

In the tutorial it recommends to use the NoPE 10.5.5 version of mac, do I have to use this or can I use a retail version 10.5.2 I got with my MBP?

Actually I think it's better to use Mac OS X 10.5.6 Retail Disc, so you don't have to update it later after install NoPE 10.5.5.

Anyway, you can't use 10.5.2 from MBP, and NoPE release is a sure bet.

just to give an update.

The install started working after repeating all the steps a second time. I could only get Leopard to boot with the -F enabled at the Darwin start up prompt.

Once in Leopard had to fix the permissions for the audio kexts that were provided.

Now, and I'm not sure why, it will boot directly with out any flags so that's good. The system overall is running really well with a couple of problems.

The most annoying is the random message I get. The screens greys out and leopard says something about having to restart my computer with the power button. You can't do anything else but reboot. Im not sure what the cause of the forced reboot is... hasn't happened in a couple days though..

It will not sleep! I deleted the disabler kext. Rebooted a couple times and it still will not sleep. That's more important to me then shutting down as I want to use this as a htpc that is always "on".

Also it doesn't shutdown properly. (It will restart.) It sounds like the hd's turn off and there's no leopard on the screen but no shut down. I have to turn the computer off via power supply.

Hopefully I'll get sleep working and i won't get another forced shutdown. Im pretty happy with what I got right now though.

I'm using 2 x 2gig of ram. Some ozc gold I picked up. A cheapo E1200 also. I have it 30% overclocked using "profiled" in the settings. Besides what was explicitally stated to change in the tut everything else is on auto. I gotta try it without maybe that will help. Also it's using an IDE drive (Leopard installed there) with 2 sata drives as just storage.

Thanks for everyone's work and this how-to. :)

I think you must have a unibody or else it will never shut down in step 7. Since it won't shut down, it's pointless to install the audio at that step.

What I did was do everything in the guide, but skip installing the audio kexts in step 4 (I still ran universal installer and had it install all the other stuff). When I finally had the hard drive inside my new computer, I reran Universal installer to restore permission (basically repeated step 4, still did not install audio). I than restarted and than installed the audio kexts. I restarted again and the audio finally worked.

However, the audio seems very finicky, if i have front audio plugged onto my mobo, the back audio port won't work. I guess you can only have one of them at the moment.

One more thing, is there a point to installing NVkush if the system properly states that I have an nvidia 9300 and says hardware acceleration in the system profile? Or am I losing some of the IGP potential without having it installed? Also, why do we have to change the color scheme to Adobe RGB?

I tried playing a blu-ray and it ran perfectly without skipping.

However, I can't play a movie ISO with DVD player even if I install NVkush. The movie iso will play in plex though. It seems that some programs don't work properly in a hackintosh.

just confirmed 8gb works no issues with all ram slots full

and overclocked my q6600 to 3.15 GHz

tried to go higher but it wouldn't boot, or wasnt stable

After getting a macbook and seeing how it performs VS my q6600 4gb memory hacktosh - i did a xbench, and got a bit worried, that my system dossn't perform as well as it should.

Could you do a xbench on your system? - i got 152 at best

How did you play the blu-ray in osx?

I ran the m2ts file in PLEX. I played the dark knight and it ran flawlessly.

Have not tried a disc with the menu yet but will try it later.

since the new ram the board runs now absolutly stable.

sleep works, reboot works, sut down works, except when i have put it to sleep before, then the voodo kernel panics because of audio disabling failing or something like that.

the only thing missing with this board now is full support auf the audio chipset, since apart from the optical only line out is working i call it not completly supported. i wonder if anyone is working on a solution.

i already thought about buying two additional usb soundcards for 5.1

the only thing missing with this board now is full support auf the audio chipset, since apart from the optical only line out is working i call it not completly supported. i wonder if anyone is working on a solution.

Sound works fully, Signal64 and I are working on it and ironing some stuff out, when we have it ready we will release what we have.

on the otherhand, we have also purchased and going to be working with the asus p5n-vm ws, same mobo basically but with a better gpu (quadro nvs470, dual dvi only, no hdmi) and different sound (adi1988b).

so stay tuned!

-D-

Sound works fully, Signal64 and I are working on it and ironing some stuff out, when we have it ready we will release what we have.

on the otherhand, we have also purchased and going to be working with the asus p5n-vm ws, same mobo basically but with a better gpu (quadro nvs470, dual dvi only, no hdmi) and different sound (adi1988b).

so stay tuned!

-D-

That's great news. I got everything up an running except for sound. Will HDMI sound output be possible? And could you give us any time frame when you will release your work?

THX for your outstanding work

Does anyone use the boot 132 method to install? And if you do, which one do you use or which kexts do you remove?

I can't seem to dual boot using this method, after I install win7 on another partition the darwin boot screen never shows up. I looked at a lot of dual boot tutorials and the only step im doing different is not installing leopard with a boot 132 CD.

I know everyone advocates another hard drive but I can't fit another in my case. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone use the iakos to install with this motherboard? i get as far as the apple logo with the iakos and can't even boot into safe mode with the iakos.

I know there is a guide with the NoPE release but I don't want to format my partitions using GUID. I want to format using MBR so I can dual boot of one hard drive.

Any help would be appreciated.

Is anybody using Parallels with this board? Whenever I try to use it, I get KPs...

runs without problems beside that it wontusemorethan 1,5gb ram, doesen't matter how i set it up, it just won''t.

but no crashes

Just out of interest, are you using a SATA or IDE hard disk? Because I think my problem is related to the jmicron kext.

only sata, configured as ahci in bios (else no boot with this board at all)

Finally I got it working.

I did all the steps provided 3x and it would boot the first time fine. Then on a restart it would freeze. So then I tried installing again.

Running step #4 after it booted up before restart. Then I repaired permissions via Disk Utility.

Perfect!

Thanks!

Question for you guys. I added an M-Audio Revolution sound card (full surround working with analog, yay!), and a GTS 250 1024MB graphics card (QE and CI working as well, yay!), however, I added a Bytecc Firewire / USB 2.0 card and I'm having an odd issue with it.

I can't use the USB card until I'm in an OS. It works in Leopard, and Windows found drivers for it, but I can't seem to get it recognized pre-OS no matter what I do. Is there something I can do in the BIOS? I set Plug and Play to yes in the PCI section, but I didn't see anything else to mess around with.

Also, I still can't get sleep or shutdown to work. I tried deleting Disabler.kext like a few have mentioned, but no dice. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I should probably mention that the Firewire / USB card is PCI Express.

I have the same problems as some others....my system won't boot unless I use the -f flag at the darwin prompt.

I have installed a couple of times following Ufdah guide.

1 - from a working hack/mac, used DU to format, partition, GUID, all the usual, SATA 1 TB connected to eSATA port.

2 - Installed OS X 10.5.6 retail using Uinstaller.

3 - Installed essential kext package, 2 audio kexts, EFI 1.0.12.

4 - Copied the dsdt.aml to root folder of new drive.

5 - Deleted appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext from SLE.

6 - Closed all apps and shutdown machack.

7 - Installed configured drive into P5N7A-VM, connected to SATA port (didn't matter which one, tried all, red or black)

8 - Followed Ufdah recommended BIOS settings.

9 - Tried to boot.....no go, will only boot with -f arguement.

10 - Repair permissions via DU, rebooted, same darn thing.

Hardware

P5N7A-VM

BIOS 5.04

2.5 C2D, not OCed

4 Gigs - G.Skill F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ

Apple keyboard, usb mouse

Seagate 1 TB SATA HD

Sony CD/DVD-ROM SATA

The most annoying is the random message I get. The screens greys out and leopard says something about having to restart my computer with the power button. You can't do anything else but reboot. Im not sure what the cause of the forced reboot is... hasn't happened in a couple days though..

This sounds like an overheating issue. Install Temperature Monitor and see how your temps do.

8 - Followed Ufdah recommended BIOS settings.

are you really using AHCI as setting and not sata?