D-Link Wireless DWA-140 success, sort of

2 posts in this topic

Originally I had major problems getting on-board Atheros L2 Etherfast adapter

to work... eventually I gave up and bought the DWA-140 USB dongle.

After much pain and toil I got the DWA-140 up and running on the

iDeneb distribution of Leopard.

As you may know, DWA-140 uses a Ralink RT2870 chipset and has official Mac OS X

drivers from both D-link and Ralink directly.

The problem was, after installing any of these drivers I would reboot and the system

would just hang on logging out screen with the gray spinner. At which point I'd do a

hard-reset.

Upon coming back to Leopard the USB WiFi device was dead, didn't even show up in the

list of network devices.

After a while I noticed that right after the installation of the driver before clicking "Restart"

the device would momentarily show up in the list of Network Adapters but would not be

available after reboot.

After many reinstalls to no avail I noticed that Startup Items folder also had RT87xx - related

utilities. I trashed them as well as the RT87xx Extensions from the System folder.

Reinstall RT2870 again, and BINGO! Apparently somehow, pre-existing RT drivers were messing up

with the RT2870.

Now I need to figure out why I can't reboot or shut down without freezing the system up. What happens

is screen gets stuck on the logging out page with the gray spinner... weird

Hope this helps anyone.

My specs:

Asus P5GC-mx /w integrated Intel GMA950 ( Drivers someone posted here worked like a charm) & AC'97

Samsung PATA HD 160gig

Sony SATA Optiarc DVD burner

2 Gig DDR333 RAM

D-Link Wireless-N DWA-140 USB adapter

• 1 year later...

Hi. I've purchased the D-link DWA-140. If I didn't install all the fixes for the adapter (I use iDeneb) did I have to delete files like you ?

One stupid question: Is that the same drivers as yours ? Is the CD delivered with the package contains drivers ?

Thank you so much for your answer.