InsanelyMac Forum
  • Announcements

• Allan

Solution to create a topic or post.   04/24/2018

Hello guys. The majority of you are having issues to create a topic or post here. This are a problem with our current theme InsanelyMac.  Now the theme will be the Default IPS. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Sign in to follow this  
jpk

"Use Google"

Hi there, as you may have noticed this is my first post (and I hope it's in the right section). Let me explain my situation a bit: I am one of those poor souls who uses Google/Yahoo/whatever for a solution to a problem before asking people about it.

My problem is this... On forums like this, or really any other forum dedicated to some kind of technology that isn't trivial to use, people love to answer questions with "Use google". What they don't realize is that when people like me actually DO use google, we end up with pages and pages of "Use google". It's infuriating.

So next time you have the urge to say "Use google", please think of the silent masses who DO use Google and post a useful link instead (and by useful I don't mean a link to google.com, I mean a link to helpful information).

Advertisement
Hi there, as you may have noticed this is my first post (and I hope it's in the right section). Let me explain my situation a bit: I am one of those poor souls who uses Google/Yahoo/whatever for a solution to a problem before asking people about it.

My problem is this... On forums like this, or really any other forum dedicated to some kind of technology that isn't trivial to use, people love to answer questions with "Use google". What they don't realize is that when people like me actually DO use google, we end up with pages and pages of "Use google". It's infuriating.

So next time you have the urge to say "Use google", please think of the silent masses who DO use Google and post a useful link instead (and by useful I don't mean a link to google.com, I mean a link to helpful information).

When a question has been asked and answered 38 million times, telling someone to 'search' helps to de-clutter the actual useful threads.

Yeah, it kinda sucks when your search results end up with pages of "use google". :)

Try adding -google at the end of your search string (e.g. "search something -google"). That should keep the "use google" suggestions out of bay. :blink:

Congratulations, one more junk topic for people to wade through, you just contributed to the problem.