Best BootLoader?

mlavio829

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I had to reinstall OSX on my PC today and i was able to successfully install 10.5.5 on my PC with an Asus P5LD2 motherboard using the instructions on this board.

However, i want to be able to have the option to select either Windows Vista or Mac OS X Leopard on boot, like i had before by using the Vista Boot Loader.

I used to have the option of choosing Vista or OSX using the EasyBCD method, however, since i made Leopard a GUID partition this time, it doesn't work. I now have to hit F8 and manually select my drive.

Is there a way to get this to work with Vista? I tried a quick google search on adding a GUID partition to Windows Bootloader, but i couldn't get it to work. (It used the boot0 file instead of the chain0 that was supposed to work with GUID.) - Unfortunately, it just looped back to the select screen.

Suggestions? Would the OSX Darwin loader work better? (if so, how would i configure it properly to achieve similar results as before)?

Could i use some kind of a Linux boot loader on a 3rd hard-drive to serve as a boot selector?

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Michael

You should use darwin boot loader - PC EFI v9.

Although vista's boot loader supports GUID/GPT on bios, it doesn't handle multibooting very well, so use darwin instead.

Darwin boot loader does not need any special configuration. If vista is installed properly, select its partition in darwin and it will boot it right away.

I have struggled to find a "software" way to boot Vista and OXS86 on two separate drives, as my Vista drive is formatted MBR, and OSX GUID.

However, please see post 20 in http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=120929, as using the attached file, renaming to "NST_MAC.MBR" when using EasyBCD in Vista has solved all my problems. Even works with EFI_V9.

SYSTEM: P5K-VM, Core2Duo, 8600GTS, 2xSATA2 drives: Vista (MBR), OSX Retail (GUID).

i think dr. hurt is right...i would use the darwin boot loader.

although i used MBR for both, I installed OSX first, then Vista second (but honestly, with a clean drive, do it the other way around..vista then osx). i had to go back in and set the osx partition as 'active' with fdisk but once i did that, Darwin became my bootloader. the timeout is set for 5 seconds but you can easily set it to 10 or whatever you want. i simply hit the down arrow 2x, once to get the prompt for which OS and second time to highlight Vista to boot. works great for me!