Creating a hidden folder.

12 posts in this topic

In OSX open the Terminal app, cd to the directory or file you want to make hidden, and put a . in front of the name like this "mv filename .filename" You will more than likely need to be at root level to do this.

sry i dont really understand most computer jargen. like "In OSX open the Terminal app, cd to the directory or file you want to make hidden, and put a . in front of the name like this "mv filename .filename" You will more than likely need to be at root level to do this.". but if i understand correctly thats only for mac i want to create a hidden XP folder.

Its for a friend :angel:. Im making a dvd with software and games for him but the dvd will hop from xp to mac so to make things look nice (people say i'm OCD) i would like when u insert the dvd into windows it wont show the mac files and in mac so that it wont show the windows files.

The contents include limewire pro, stuffit deluxe, demos of games (im space constricted and full games take up Gigs of memory, i dont have a DL dvd or a burner) the list goes on. Im not hiding stuff from a girlfriend! perv :angry: .... What has this world come to.

On XP I think you right-click the folder and go to the properties and somewhere in there I think there is something like "make this file hidden"
Duh but im on a mac (without XP) and my friend (a guy with XP) doesn't know how to send me it as an attachment in an email.

Thanks, but then I still am stuck with getting the folder to him. His computer doesn't have a floppy drive and he doesn't know how to use email that well hence the entire reason i'm doing this (he is not that computer literate). I'll figure out a way thanks.

Depending on your burning software, you can make a hybrid disc (part HFS for the Mac stuff, part ISO9600 for the Windows stuff). The only problem with this idea is that on the Mac you will see both parts of the disc as distinct drives on the desktop. In Windows, only the ISO9600 part will show up.

I know that Toast can make this type of disc, not sure about other Mac burning software.

• 2 weeks later...