Platform=x86pc What Does This Mean?

7 posts in this topic

i've a toshiba portege rs200 and it couldn't boot because i got an error saying: unable to initialize uim and also come problem on the usb controller.

I found googling around to write platform=x86pc in the startup options.

did it and now it works great.

But what does this do?

I mean, it's just a text that specific wich platform are u using or it does something else?

and how can i make it permanent, it would be nice not to write it each time i boot

Thanks

tried it but nothing changes... no battery and even no speed change (not slower not faster)

anyway thanks....

any other chance?

no. acpi is not just only a standard for power configuration but for resource allocation as well. most people overlook that very important fact.

try platform=acpi|x86pc

the | char is a logical OR, meaning that you can use either platform=acpi OR platform=x86pc

no. acpi is not just only a standard for power configuration but for resource allocation as well. most people overlook that very important fact.

the | char is a logical OR, meaning that you can use either platform=acpi OR platform=x86pc

The ACPI is if you want powermanagement

x86PC is for PC's without ACPI

This is the only difference, according to the darwin bootoptions (? at bootup)

ok i've done some experiments and

removing the appleacpi kext it boots up without any parameter but no powermanagement.

using the appleacpi kext:

if i boot without any parameter it crashes.... here is a screenshot

if i boot with platform=acpi it boots up fine but anyway no battery support

i've also moved the appleintel extension, the ati and the appletpm

forgot to say...u can't see it in the screen but i also get:

kextd[35] kld_load_from_memory () failed for module /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPIDisplay.kext/Contents/MacOs/AppleACPIDisplay

kextd[35] kld_load_from_memory () failed for module /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPIDisplay.kext

post-6734-1125333370_thumb.jpg