AnV Mac OS X 10.4.11 xnu-792.25.20 kernel (Tiger)

55 posts in this topic

Hi Andy I tried your Tiger Kernel but got a Kernel Panic at boot up. Could you perhaps take a look at at the image and tell me what the error is ? 

I have a amd64 opteron dual core and used Tubgirls 10.4.10 realease. Then i downloaded the 10.4.11 upgrade and patched the cpuids using Zephyroth's Amd tool, then installed it. No problems there. Then I installed your Kernel + kexts. But at reboot this Kernel Panic occurs.

I tried repairing the disk permissions and also install efi, but nothing helps :smoke:

Any tips ?

s6000399.jpg

Hi Andy I tried your Tiger Kernel but got a Kernel Panic at boot up. Could you perhaps take a look at at the image and tell me what the error is ?

I have a amd64 opteron dual core and used Tubgirls 10.4.10 realease. Then i downloaded the 10.4.11 upgrade and patched the cpuids using Zephyroth's Amd tool, then installed it. No problems there. Then I installed your Kernel + kexts. But at reboot this Kernel Panic occurs.

I tried repairing the disk permissions and also install efi, but nothing helps :(

Any tips ?

s6000399.jpg

Hmm... apparantly this kernel doesn't work for all...

I should update the Tiger kernel but I haven't had the time yet...

I've had tons of bug reports like this.

So, sorry but you'll just have to be patient untill I have ported the AnV XNU kernel V1.4 sources to 10.4.11...

They weird thing is it happens immediately after kernel init (one of the first instructions running...).

I'll get to this though.

So, sorry but you'll just have to be patient untill I have ported the AnV XNU kernel V1.4 sources to 10.4.11...

They weird thing is it happens immediately after kernel init (one of the first instructions running...).

I'll get to this though.

Thanks I appreciate all your work. Can't wait for the updated kernel. Keep it up! :(

I'll get to this though.

Hi Andy

Eagerly awaiting as well ...

Hello!

I think everyone will agree that Andy has achieved a lot in the short space of time he has been here at InsanelyMac. IMO one of the most Prolific coders I have seen.

I am also very impressed with the way he fits all of this is with his daily life. He must be able to type very fast!

He has also fixed bugs very quickly, is open to ideas and and is proactively supporting others.

IMO, a rare combination of skills and generosity. Basically Andy, YOU ARE THEM MAN!!!

Keep this up and you will be releasing kernels faster than apple!

I will definitely celebrate with a pint if you can release this tiger mod!

HC

:(

• 1 month later...
J'ai vu que vous utilisez 10.4.10... appliquez l'update pour 10.4.11...

Cette xnu kernel fonctionne seulement sur 10.4.11...

PC EFI V9 ca = OK...

Bonjour Andy,

Je vous remercie grandement de m'avoir répondu. Je me permet de vous répondre en Français.

En fait, oui et non pour 10.4.11. Je m'explique : J'ai installé Kalyway 10.4.10, mais seul le kernel 8.9.1 boot correctement sur ma machine ... et encore !

J'ai donc appliqué la mise à jour 10.4.11, mais je ne me rappelle plus si elle je l'ai installée normalement ou par Pacifist suite à de nombreux problèmes (j'en parle après).

De plus, j'ai tenté de booter avec les kernel vanilla 8.10.1 et 8.11.1. Or, même avec le System.kext des updates respectives, j'ai un kernel panic juste après la lecture des premières extensions (je crois me rappeler que le KP apparait à cause d'AppleACPIPlatform ; je vous ferais des captures d'écran pour vous montrer).

Enfin, avec mon kernel actuel (8.9.1), c'est aussi complexe : je dois obligatoirement avoir le loginwindow.app de 10.4.5 (problème de SSE2 sûrement), ainsi que le AppleSMBIOS.kext de Netkas daté de juillet 2007 si mes souvenirs sont bons (les AppleSMBIOS plus récents sont soit pour Léopard, soit ils font planter loginwindow.app :thumbsdown_anim: ).

D'autre part cet AppleSMBIOS, ne doit pas faire très bon ménage avec PC_EFI v9 (Le clic sur la section "Matériel" dans le System Profiler, le faire planter) ... mais je ne plains pas trop, car mes applications fonctionnent correctement.

En vous remerciant énormément pour tout ce que vous faites pour la communauté InsanelyMac.

jericane1

------------------------------------------------------

English translation for the entire community

Hi Andy,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Actually, yes and no about the 10.4.11 update. Let me explain: I've install Kalyway 10.4.10, but only the kernel 8.9.1 boot properly on my machine ... and it's more complicated!

So, I've applied the 10.4.11 update, but I can't remember be if I installed it normally or by Pacifist, following numerous problems (I mention these below).

Moreover, I tried to boot with vanilla kernel 8.10.1 and 8.11.1. But even with the respective System.kext updates, I have a kernel panic just after the first extension read (I seem to recall that the KP appears due to AppleACPIPlatform ; I will take screenshots for you show this).

Finally, with my current kernel (8.9.1) is also complex: I must have the 10.4.5's loginwindow.app (SSE2 problem surely) and the Netkas AppleSMBIOS.kext dated about July 2007 (the most recent AppleSMBIOS either Leopard or they plant loginwindow.app :thumbsdown_anim:).

On the other hand, this AppleSMBIOS couldn't work very well with PC_EFI v9 (Click on the "Hardware" in the System Profiler, and it's the crash !) ... but I can't complain too much, because my applications are working properly.

Thank you much for everything you do for the community InsanelyMac.

jericane1

Bonjour,

Same boat as you, ie. sse2, tiger 10.4.11 with 8.9 kernel, and also french.

My issue is not the same though. When I update the kernel (and System & IPFirewall), boot stops after illegal instructions

<<

/etc/rc: line 226: 24 illegal instruction kextd

/etc/rc: line 250: 29 illegal instruction /usr/libexec/firewalltool

/etc/rc: line 258: 30 illegal instruction launchctl load /library/launchdaemons /etc/mach_init.d

/etc/rc: line 258: 31 illegal instruction SystemStarter ${VerboseFlag}

>>

I (surely badely) googled but found nothing related (one post about AMD non-sse2).

However, the good point is that the kernel seems to work as I can boot -s.

I keep tiger because leopard is too slow on my D610 (1.86gHz) although almost everything worked (10.5.6 + voodoo kernel)

Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

Max

Bonjour,

Same boat as you, ie. sse2, tiger 10.4.11 with 8.9 kernel, and also french.

My issue is not the same though. When I update the kernel (and System & IPFirewall), boot stops after illegal instructions

<<

/etc/rc: line 226: 24 illegal instruction kextd

/etc/rc: line 250: 29 illegal instruction /usr/libexec/firewalltool

/etc/rc: line 258: 30 illegal instruction launchctl load /library/launchdaemons /etc/mach_init.d

/etc/rc: line 258: 31 illegal instruction SystemStarter ${VerboseFlag}

>>

I (surely badely) googled but found nothing related (one post about AMD non-sse2).

However, the good point is that the kernel seems to work as I can boot -s.

I keep tiger because leopard is too slow on my D610 (1.86gHz) although almost everything worked (10.5.6 + voodoo kernel)

Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

Max

It's a shame I don't have an SSE2 only Intel/AMD machine here...

Otherwise it would be easier figuring out a work around for this...

The tests I've done with 10.4.11 under vmware showed it worked just fine...

But it could also be the problem in this case is the launched apps under /etc/rc...

Because it does not seem to load out the kernel extension daemon (kextd), the firewall or the launchctl initiated parts nor does the SystemStarter load...

In other words: it doesn't boot up the system proper at all...

But try running these manually under -s boot (to check wether they work...)

If they load out fine then and the system starts the problem lies in /etc/rc, if not it could be the app launching that doesn't work proper...

Do all of the commands under single user boot work?

Let me know please...

Bonjour Andy,

Je vous remercie grandement de m'avoir répondu. Je me permet de vous répondre en Français.

En fait, oui et non pour 10.4.11. Je m'explique : J'ai installé Kalyway 10.4.10, mais seul le kernel 8.9.1 boot correctement sur ma machine ... et encore !

J'ai donc appliqué la mise à jour 10.4.11, mais je ne me rappelle plus si elle je l'ai installée normalement ou par Pacifist suite à de nombreux problèmes (j'en parle après).

De plus, j'ai tenté de booter avec les kernel vanilla 8.10.1 et 8.11.1. Or, même avec le System.kext des updates respectives, j'ai un kernel panic juste après la lecture des premières extensions (je crois me rappeler que le KP apparait à cause d'AppleACPIPlatform ; je vous ferais des captures d'écran pour vous montrer).

Enfin, avec mon kernel actuel (8.9.1), c'est aussi complexe : je dois obligatoirement avoir le loginwindow.app de 10.4.5 (problème de SSE2 sûrement), ainsi que le AppleSMBIOS.kext de Netkas daté de juillet 2007 si mes souvenirs sont bons (les AppleSMBIOS plus récents sont soit pour Léopard, soit ils font planter loginwindow.app :gun: ).

D'autre part cet AppleSMBIOS, ne doit pas faire très bon ménage avec PC_EFI v9 (Le clic sur la section "Matériel" dans le System Profiler, le faire planter) ... mais je ne plains pas trop, car mes applications fonctionnent correctement.

En vous remerciant énormément pour tout ce que vous faites pour la communauté InsanelyMac.

jericane1

------------------------------------------------------

English translation for the entire community

Hi Andy,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Actually, yes and no about the 10.4.11 update. Let me explain: I've install Kalyway 10.4.10, but only the kernel 8.9.1 boot properly on my machine ... and it's more complicated!

So, I've applied the 10.4.11 update, but I can't remember be if I installed it normally or by Pacifist, following numerous problems (I mention these below).

Moreover, I tried to boot with vanilla kernel 8.10.1 and 8.11.1. But even with the respective System.kext updates, I have a kernel panic just after the first extension read (I seem to recall that the KP appears due to AppleACPIPlatform ; I will take screenshots for you show this).

Finally, with my current kernel (8.9.1) is also complex: I must have the 10.4.5's loginwindow.app (SSE2 problem surely) and the Netkas AppleSMBIOS.kext dated about July 2007 (the most recent AppleSMBIOS either Leopard or they plant loginwindow.app :angry: ).

On the other hand, this AppleSMBIOS couldn't work very well with PC_EFI v9 (Click on the "Hardware" in the System Profiler, and it's the crash !) ... but I can't complain too much, because my applications are working properly.

Thank you much for everything you do for the community InsanelyMac.

jericane1

Si le AppleACPIPlatform ne fonctionne pas le probleme est simple...

Boot avec le disque installation de Kalyway que vous avez et faites une "reparation de permissions" pour votre Mac partition...

Si ca ne fonctionne essayez boot avec -f...

Si ca fonctionne fait "sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions" avec Terminal.app

Si le AppleACPIPlatform ne fonctionne pas le probleme est simple...

Boot avec le disque installation de Kalyway que vous avez et faites une "reparation de permissions" pour votre Mac partition...

Si ca ne fonctionne essayez boot avec -f...

Si ca fonctionne fait "sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions" avec Terminal.app

Bonjour Andy,

Merci de m'avoir répondu !

Dès que j'ai un peu de temps je ferais plusieurs tests. Votre solution est en effet très simple ... mais je n'y ai même pas pensé !

Donc je vous tiens au courant, avec captures d'écrans pour vous montrer.

Avec mes remerciements,

jericane1

<<

If they load out fine then and the system starts the problem lies in /etc/rc, if not it could be the app launching that doesn't work proper...

>>

Well... I tried it does not work.

If I manually run "kextd" I get a "command not found"

All other following instructions (launchctl, firewalltool and SystemStarter) raise the Illegal Instruction message.

kextstat and uname show me that 8.11.1 kernel & System.kext are correctly loaded (with correct version).

But I did a test booting -s with 8.9 kernel and trying the "kextd" instruction gives also a command not found.

However issuing the "sh /etc/rc" starts the system.

I guess this means (as you suggested) that the rc script contains some "if...fi" that instructs script to run the kextd though it shouldn't...

What does this script ? What if I just hit "exit 0" after boot -s ?

Thanks

Max

Me again.

I figured out that the kextd is located in the /usr/libexec folder.

First I changed the /etc/rc file, but ut is the same.

Now I see the differences

-> Running "/usr/libexec/kextd" with 8.11 kernel -> got illegal instruction

-> Running "/usr/libexec/kextd" with 8.9 kernel -> start (jettinsoning kernel and so on).

It seems to be a kernel problem, the System.kext might not be in cause...

Max

<<

>>

Well... I tried it does not work.

If I manually run "kextd" I get a "command not found"

All other following instructions (launchctl, firewalltool and SystemStarter) raise the Illegal Instruction message.

kextstat and uname show me that 8.11.1 kernel & System.kext are correctly loaded (with correct version).

But I did a test booting -s with 8.9 kernel and trying the "kextd" instruction gives also a command not found.

However issuing the "sh /etc/rc" starts the system.

I guess this means (as you suggested) that the rc script contains some "if...fi" that instructs script to run the kextd though it shouldn't...

What does this script ? What if I just hit "exit 0" after boot -s ?

Thanks

Max

Me again.

I figured out that the kextd is located in the /usr/libexec folder.

First I changed the /etc/rc file, but ut is the same.

Now I see the differences

-> Running "/usr/libexec/kextd" with 8.11 kernel -> got illegal instruction

-> Running "/usr/libexec/kextd" with 8.9 kernel -> start (jettinsoning kernel and so on).

It seems to be a kernel problem, the System.kext might not be in cause...

Max

Hmm... weird...

It could be a cpu specific related issue though...

Precisely which cpu do you use?

It could help if I knew exactly which instruction is being executed though since my Intel Celeron M 420 doesn't spawn this back at me...

Bonjour,

Je ne sais pas précisemment de quel processeur il s'agit.

Sur le site DELL, il est indiqué ""Intel® Pentium® M" ( http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs...s.htm#wp1103840 )

J'aurais plus d'info lundi (cpuid ?), je pars en we & le portable est resté au bureau.

Well... I don't know precisely what processor is in the D610.

It is flagged as "Intel® Pentium® M" in the DELL spec ( http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs...s.htm#wp1103840 )

I won't be able to be more precise until monday. I leave for the (long) week-end and the laptop is at office.

Thanks a lot

Max

Bonjour,

Je ne sais pas précisemment de quel processeur il s'agit.

Sur le site DELL, il est indiqué ""Intel® Pentium® M" ( http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs...s.htm#wp1103840 )

J'aurais plus d'info lundi (cpuid ?), je pars en we & le portable est resté au bureau.

Well... I don't know precisely what processor is in the D610.

It is flagged as "Intel® Pentium® M" in the DELL spec ( http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs...s.htm#wp1103840 )

I won't be able to be more precise until monday. I leave for the (long) week-end and the laptop is at office.

Thanks a lot

Max

Hmm... c'est presque le meme que moi (Intel Celeron M 420)

Mais vous utilisez donc 10.4.10 et pas 10.4.11?

Je peux faire un rebuild de le update (delta) pour Intel...

Bonjour,

Non, pas une 10.4.10, mais bien une 10.4.11. Voici un extraits des info système

<<

Vue d’ensemble du logiciel système :

Version du système : Mac OS X 10.4.11 (8S2167)

Version du noyau : Darwin 8.9.1

Volume de démarrage : Mac

Informations matériel :

Nom de l’ordinateur : Mac

Modèle d’ordinateur : Latitude D610

Type de processeur : Intel® Pentium® M processor

Vitesse du processeur : 1.86 GHz

Nombre de noyaux : 1

Cache de niveau 2 (par processeur) : 2 Mo

Caractéristiques du processeur : FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS TM EST TM2

Mémoire : 1.5 Go

Vitesse du bus : 533 MHz

>>

Bonjour,

Non, pas une 10.4.10, mais bien une 10.4.11. Voici un extraits des info système

<<

Vue d'ensemble du logiciel système :

Version du système : Mac OS X 10.4.11 (8S2167)

Version du noyau : Darwin 8.9.1

Volume de démarrage : Mac

Informations matériel :

Nom de l'ordinateur : Mac

Modèle d'ordinateur : Latitude D610

Type de processeur : Intel® Pentium® M processor

Vitesse du processeur : 1.86 GHz

Nombre de noyaux : 1

Cache de niveau 2 (par processeur) : 2 Mo

Caractéristiques du processeur : FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS TM EST TM2

Mémoire : 1.5 Go

Vitesse du bus : 533 MHz

>>

Hmmm... ca peut etre le SSE3 emu...

J'ai un CPU avec SSE3 donc je vas investiger ca.

Hello Andy!

Thanx for your great effort!

Im using PC-EFI V9 from Netkas, a bunch of legacy kexsts for my ICH5 and video, AppleSMBIOSEFI, AGPGart (yeah i'm on a NV7600GT 256 megs @ AGP bus) and dsmos.kext

After using your kernel my efi-strings won't work... is there a way to make them work with your kernel?

Coz as far as i'm concerned GFX string depend on wether your kernel is EFI-supportive or not and the booter you're using. (In my case the booter is fine ... so the only thing that matters is kernel :) )

I mean i'm really ok with performance and emulation (im on P4 machine) with your kernel but the non-working videocad drives me crazy.

Thanx in advance.

(And yeah it's been working when i was using 8.11.1 EFi-based kernel back from 10 October 2007 but it was buggy)

Hello Andy!

Thanx for your great effort!

Im using PC-EFI V9 from Netkas, a bunch of legacy kexsts for my ICH5 and video, AppleSMBIOSEFI, AGPGart (yeah i'm on a NV7600GT 256 megs @ AGP bus) and dsmos.kext

After using your kernel my efi-strings won't work... is there a way to make them work with your kernel?

Coz as far as i'm concerned GFX string depend on wether your kernel is EFI-supportive or not and the booter you're using. (In my case the booter is fine ... so the only thing that matters is kernel :P )

I mean i'm really ok with performance and emulation (im on P4 machine) with your kernel but the non-working videocad drives me crazy.

Thanx in advance.

(And yeah it's been working when i was using 8.11.1 EFi-based kernel back from 10 October 2007 but it was buggy)

Normally it should work as it has EFI port from Leopard kernel...

It should work the same way as Leopard sets EFI strings thus...

I would say check your com.apple.Boot.plist and perform some testing on this, if it after that still doesn't work I'll check as to why it doesn't do so...

Normally it should work as it has EFI port from Leopard kernel...

It should work the same way as Leopard sets EFI strings thus...

I would say check your com.apple.Boot.plist and perform some testing on this, if it after that still doesn't work I'll check as to why it doesn't do so...

Hi guys,

Maybe you were using modded nv4hal, nvdaresman, geforce .kext's in your leopard install?

Did you install a universal driver under leopard or are you using stock kexts?

Also, is your gpu id in the current kexts you are trying?

I thought that graphics strings do not work on agp? (at least not with vanilla kexts)

Please let me know if i am barking up the wrong tree here....

Cheers,

HC

ps this forum is technically shagged right now

hey Andy,

Make it compatible for SSE2. Some cpu works ok, some not.

Thanks

Yeah... it still needs some work for some SSE2 cpu's...

I'll get back to it after the new great experiment... (running AppleTV OS on a PC with custom Leopard kernel)

Hi Andy,

I tried applying the sse3 emulator changes on my own kernel (10.4.11) compilation and I get the same result (remember: "Illegal instruction" on kextd call).

Do you know how I could trace the emulator calls so I can try to know what function gives the error.

I guess adding a log on the commpage.c will provide tons of bunch line (I didn't triy)...

Also I tried to compile the kextd (with ILLog calls to trace my path) but it failed because of IOKit/storage/RAID/... header file missing that I can't find anywhere.

I don't know what to do to go further.

Max

Hi Andy,

I tried applying the sse3 emulator changes on my own kernel (10.4.11) compilation and I get the same result (remember: "Illegal instruction" on kextd call).

Do you know how I could trace the emulator calls so I can try to know what function gives the error.

I guess adding a log on the commpage.c will provide tons of bunch line (I didn't triy)...

Also I tried to compile the kextd (with ILLog calls to trace my path) but it failed because of IOKit/storage/RAID/... header file missing that I can't find anywhere.

I don't know what to do to go further.

Max

Raid family parts from Apple or SCSI parts I think...

sweet...

can you also make it sse2 compatible ?

It allready is...

It's my 1.4 kernel with mods...

We are still testing out to see if it will boot full ATV OS...