Best Web Hosting providers?

18 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I really have a problem here. I moved my website to a new host just like last month. A couple days ago I got an email saying that my website was over using CPU resources and they threatened to suspend the account if I didn't reply within 7 days. My website host is Siteground.com. I'm really freaking out right now trying to get my entire site backed up and whatnot. I need help! They claimed when I signed up that they hosted like 130,000 Joomla sites and mines would fit in and work with the package great. And low and behold, I get a notice saying that the website is overusing resources. They say that I'm not overusing bandwith, but I'm overusing CPU resources. They tell me to upgrade to a VPS hosting package but $100/month is not something I can afford!

I'm really mad at them right now, and I need the community's help. Does anyone know of a good host that will provide me with hosting within acceptable limits? I'm looking for something, $15 a month MAX. I need at least 100GB monthly bandwith, 20GB+ storage space, MySQL, PHP, etc. etc.

I really need urgent assistance right now :)

~pcwiz

And low and behold, I get a notice saying that the website is overusing resources. They say that I'm not overusing bandwith, but I'm overusing CPU resources.

Well I guess these need to be quantified.

Without knowing these you could eventually end up with the same problem elsewhere. (Might be some deficiencies in the site that need to be corrected or improved.)

I've contacted their Tech Support. And I'm thinking of switching anyways. But what's even more ridiculous is that they refuse to refund me the $100 because I was like 7 days over their 30 day period. If it comes to it, I will sue them.

Little progress update on this. Got back from the Tech Support from Siteground, they say it is because I'm getting an overwhelming number of hits (1.5 million last month). This means switching to more expensive hosting. I'm planning the switch now to mediatemple.net. They have a grid service hosting plan that powers my website with 100s of Grid Performance Units (10GPUs = 100% utilization of a processor core). Their maximum is 250GPUs per hour so that means I can use up to 25 processor cores at 100% utilization without getting suspended or anything. And that's what I call awesome :D

Unfortunately this will cost me $200 a year but w/e if that's what it takes to get the site back up

Well MediaTemple's tech support kept telling me that (gs) plan would not work and that I needed to upgrade to the $50/month dedicated virtual server so I'm out. I just registered on HostGator.com and I'll be moving the site there shortly.

I know you're making the switch as we speak, pcwiz, but I wanted to mention the two hosts that I like:

The first is NearlyFreeSpeech.net. For any website with a small traffic load, they are perfect. You deposit money into your account and you only pay based on the number of hits you get (and the amount of disk space you are using). So if you never get any traffic, you literally don't pay a thing. Everytime I make small informational websites for clients, I use NearlyFreeSpeech.net

Bluehost is pretty fantastic. I have yet to hear any real complaints against them, and I know their customer support is great. I am hosting a CakePHP application that runs slow on NearlyFreeSpeech, so I'm going to be switching it to Bluehost in the near future.

I've used GoDaddy in the past. They are pain. Ugh.

Hey guys,

Just completed the switch to HostGator and it all went perfectly :blink: Great service, lots of features, nice tech support :) I can't try and recommend them to everyone now because I've only been with them for like 2 days. But next month I'll tell you guys how it goes.

Kane,

Actually to be honest, 1&1 is in my experience on of the best hosts I was with (been with them for 1.5 years). Their tech support is average, and the features are basic but it kept my site alive for 1.5 years without problem.

Auzigog,

I was considering BlueHost but HostGator offered more features in the end so I went with them :)

Hi

small question.

A friend of mine asked me helps about building a small site for selling used stuff.

..lot of photos, some lke a small "local ebay", prices...

..do u think I can find everything I need on a hosting site like hostgator ?

sorry, I'm a bit noob on this ... :blush:

I was going to add into the conversation DreamHost :rolleyes: - it owns. I usually SSH tunnel through it at school, and connection through it to home. Well, you've found something that works, nice. Speeds are ok to.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been working on a similar issue, for purposes of work-land...

You can learn a lot by reading forum posts on www.webhostingtalk.com

I learned a lot there! Mostly that any host, with shared hosting plans, that offers unlimited bandwidth or storage is full of {censored}. There is no such thing as unlimited - for example, a $7/month plan with "unlimited" bandwidth on shared hosting - why wouldn't someone like Amazon.com move to their server? Because "unlimited" bandwidth and storage is BS! They just make those claims to pack in as many clients as they can, and they hope that each one has an obscure website that nobody visits, so they don't really use any real bandwidth or CPU power.

Basically, you want to find a reasonably priced host who outlines reasonable storage and bandwidth limitations, who has good records of helping customers. Two hosts that I could personally recommend would be DownTownHost and WireNine.

The reason you want your host to define bandwidth limitations on a shared hosting plan is to guarantee that the rest of the people's websites on that server don't exceed the limitations either. So you are allowed your fair share too.