Feedback needed for a new OSx86 DVD

Denicio

26 posts in this topic

I would appreciate some feedback on the installation list for my new OSx86 DVD, which will be called "The Architects Distribution".

Feel free to request more options to this DVD by providing description of the component and a link to the .kext required.

Version (A) is ready to be released, but i will wait approximately 1 week just in case i can get 10.5.6 included as well as Final version of the Voodoo 9.5.0 Kernel.

listfk1.gif

nice

what about ati sb600/700 support?

and: why is it called "achitect"? ;)

:(

zuz

Yes, this one is included under "Chipset -> ATi IPX" it supports the chipset you mentioned.

Architects Distribution is just a name that occurred to me at one point, no real reason! :)

@ koslowski

Is the nForce chipset driver that by slashack and the nForceLAN driver that by eno?

Exactly what the world needed, another osx86 dvd...

This is a symptom of how much the scene has changed.. Once, making install DVDs was hard, now that retail installation is a possibility for all but AMD users (and who knows, soon for them too) you might think that installers were obsolete, but coincidentally it is also far easier to make installer DVDs, so more people are doing it.

I'm actually rather concerned about the gap that is opening up between the techniques available to the knowledgeable, and those generally in use by the masses, which are largely a long way behind, and leave new users struggling unnecessarily with issues that have long since been solved.

If effort could be concentrated on providing installation methods for AMD users, and also closing this gap by writing good documentation and guiding new users towards good technique, this would be real progress.

As it stands, the temptation is for new users to lunge for the shiniest-looking install DVD and hope it will "just work" for them, rather than following accepted practice and getting it right in stages. This in turn leads to the flooding of the forum with unnecessary questions and problems, giving rise to falsehoods such as gfx injectors not working in 10.5.5 and vanilla kernel update-proofing your install.

:2cents:

Yes, this one is included under "Chipset -> ATi IPX" it supports the chipset you mentioned.

But if there is a patch for a installer so user with SB600 can run the installer from dvd instead of getting "Still waiting for root device" ? Most of distros I've trying to use so far can't event start installation on my PC with AMD770 + SB600 chipset. I'm downloading "LawlessPPC", because the author underlined in the description that there is a fix for ATI SB600 Issue, that solves "Still waiting for root device" when trying to install. What about your distribution?

Hey all,

i will answer a few questions i saw, but first i would like to state my opinion about people that are fed up with another OSx86 DVD.

Does another release cause problems to the scene?

if so... i would like to hear why, because i surely don't have an answer to why it could be bad in any way.

i have learned so many new things by making this DVD, that it could even lead me to develop more important stuff in the near future, so i don't understand people that have something bad to say about this matter.

i my self have developed many applications in the past for C/C#/C++, Java, Python etc. including a PlayStation Emulator called PSinex (look it up if you want).

So for example Superhai's comment has nothing to offer (even though i know he's a very good developer), but you know what... even the Kernel developer guys started somehow to make their way through the OSx86 scene.

I hope you all understand why i'm frustrated a little bit after about 1 month of development for this DVD (gathering kexts, editing installers, slimming down original MacOS-X DVDs etc.)

Why would anyone be fed up with another release? This is a project for people to experience OSX on a pc and for those who are sick of releases then get over it. The more releases= more progress= better coding= more reliable osx86 for pc users.

Could you add the vanilla kernels as well? For some of us they work perfectly.

The default would be Vanilla 9.5.0 if no other option is selected, I will also add Vanilla 9.4.0. Thanks for your comment.

@ koslowski

Is the nForce chipset driver that by slashack and the nForceLAN driver that by eno?

Very correct, yes those are the ones.

But if there is a patch for a installer so user with SB600 can run the installer from dvd instead of getting "Still waiting for root device" ? Most of distros I've trying to use so far can't event start installation on my PC with AMD770 + SB600 chipset. I'm downloading "LawlessPPC", because the author underlined in the description that there is a fix for ATI SB600 Issue, that solves "Still waiting for root device" when trying to install. What about your distribution?

Ok i will follow your suggestion and make different PPF's for any chipset that people will request.

First is the one you suggested for SB chipsets.

Good for you, the more the merrier.

What can really set one distro apart from another is

a ) the documentation that best explains the option being selected and its pros/cons

b ) speed of installation from start to finish. most boot dvds take 5 minutes or so before you can begin installing.

also, to save your self some headache, make sure you say WHOSE patch you are using.

eg. if i click on stac9247, option description says 'alain' or 'targa' or whoever; its too easy to accidently make someone mad.

NOTE: I am not saying alain or targa will be mad. just an example of two "authors". no offense intended, etc

EFI v9 or chameleon boot?

Good for you, the more the merrier.

What can really set one distro apart from another is

a ) the documentation that best explains the option being selected and its pros/cons

b ) speed of installation from start to finish. most boot dvds take 5 minutes or so before you can begin installing.

also, to save your self some headache, make sure you say WHOSE patch you are using.

eg. if i click on stac9247, option description says 'alain' or 'targa' or whoever; its too easy to accidently make someone mad.

NOTE: I am not saying alain or targa will be mad. just an example of two "authors". no offense intended, etc

EFI v9 or chameleon boot?

Ok i will try to do that, but too many times its just patches from everyday users that i have found in the forums searching for a long time.

EFi v9 yes (its Chameleon .12 isnt it...)

I hope you all understand why i'm frustrated a little bit after about 1 month of development for this DVD (gathering kexts, editing installers, slimming down original MacOS-X DVDs etc.)

I have no doubts about that your intention are good, that you want to help your fellow osx86`ers, and maybe gather some fame on the way. And that you have learned alot along it. But I want to ask you, what is that sets this release apart from the rest?

But I see that alot of these releases look the same. The releasers have not tested all the various hacked kexts, they don´t know if they break something and what they break. Even the option of all the kernels are also largely never explained. And there is the plethora of choices. I have too many users asking how did I get it to work on my machine. And there is also the which distribution questions, and they ask I have installed xxx, ideneb, kalyway, jas, yyy, ibene, kabulway, bas, las, ras... and whatever they all called and beta this and that. But I can´t help them, I have no idea what they installed on their machines. 

If you really want to make a new release, you should first of all - get full understanding of the I/OKit, what is the beauty of that framework, and find out exactly why the hacked kexts are hacked and not made propers. If there are kexts that are hacked, theyve made for just a single purpose and as a dirty hack never tested for another environment. Go to whatever who made the kext, find out exactly the changes and document it (and not just the major changes, all the minors as well).

The same goes to the kernels, why do you need so many kernels. Can you tell me why some works and some don´t? As a developer of a distribution, you should have deep knowledge of what they do, and how they made it do it. And if that is really necessary, and for what audience the changes are needed. You should really read up on the material that is available for the kernel. Because you might find out that all the options you have provided are not necessary.

Then there is of course the limitation that one tries to put this on a single layer dvd. Something have to go, there is no way you can fit a full complete version of OSX on a signle layer dvd. All the releases do the same, they remove the languages and also the speech options. But never is there stated how you can get it back if you want it. Too many users are asking why there is no german, spanish, italian etc language. They don´t realize what are missing. And maybe other things that you removed because you found it not intersting or not needed.

And finally are you commited to do support for your release? Commitment for followup, bug fixes and updates when apple issues updates. Remember you are doing a release that is 4.3 GB. If you beta test this, you will have to make reuploads or ppfs (which is hard on new users), you will have users asking you what went wrong, but if you have made many bugfix releases, you might not know this yourself. Because the user have one of the intermediate releases. And dont expect the user to download your newest dvd even if you direct them to. 

I am sure you think you might have done all this to some extent, but you have most likely just touched the surface. 

Do you understand what I am saying here? If you do, then you might be ready to make a new release. 

I have no doubts about that your intention are good, that you want to help your fellow osx86`ers, and maybe gather some fame on the way. And that you have learned alot along it. But I want to ask you, what is that sets this release apart from the rest?

But I see that alot of these releases look the same. The releasers have not tested all the various hacked kexts, they don´t know if they break something and what they break. Even the option of all the kernels are also largely never explained. And there is the plethora of choices. I have too many users asking how did I get it to work on my machine. And there is also the which distribution questions, and they ask I have installed xxx, ideneb, kalyway, jas, yyy, ibene, kabulway, bas, las, ras... and whatever they all called and beta this and that. But I can´t help them, I have no idea what they installed on their machines. 

If you really want to make a new release, you should first of all - get full understanding of the I/OKit, what is the beauty of that framework, and find out exactly why the hacked kexts are hacked and not made propers. If there are kexts that are hacked, theyve made for just a single purpose and as a dirty hack never tested for another environment. Go to whatever who made the kext, find out exactly the changes and document it (and not just the major changes, all the minors as well).

The same goes to the kernels, why do you need so many kernels. Can you tell me why some works and some don´t? As a developer of a distribution, you should have deep knowledge of what they do, and how they made it do it. And if that is really necessary, and for what audience the changes are needed. You should really read up on the material that is available for the kernel. Because you might find out that all the options you have provided are not necessary.

Then there is of course the limitation that one tries to put this on a single layer dvd. Something have to go, there is no way you can fit a full complete version of OSX on a signle layer dvd. All the releases do the same, they remove the languages and also the speech options. But never is there stated how you can get it back if you want it. Too many users are asking why there is no german, spanish, italian etc language. They don´t realize what are missing. And maybe other things that you removed because you found it not intersting or not needed.

And finally are you commited to do support for your release? Commitment for followup, bug fixes and updates when apple issues updates. Remember you are doing a release that is 4.3 GB. If you beta test this, you will have to make reuploads or ppfs (which is hard on new users), you will have users asking you what went wrong, but if you have made many bugfix releases, you might not know this yourself. Because the user have one of the intermediate releases. And dont expect the user to download your newest dvd even if you direct them to. 

I am sure you think you might have done all this to some extent, but you have most likely just touched the surface. 

Do you understand what I am saying here? If you do, then you might be ready to make a new release. 

Thank you for this.

I appreciate the time you took to write all this, and i will most definitely try to follow all your advices.

what about have some PCiz Computer Software on there too. like the DS3 intsaller etc ,

OSX86Tools

X11,

Apple Boot plist,

Kext Helper,

CHUD,

EFIStudio

BatChmod,

Pacifist_2.5.2

Restart and shutdown fix

JMicron

Choice of Bootloaders EFI, Chameleon

Would be nice if you make so that can install bits of the system, so you dont have restall all system. would be nice that you try other drivers etc;.

Sorry for my English

Good Work. :):withstupid::wacko:

Hi,

if it will work on my PC (the only release that worked was Leo4x200),i'll download it.

Please add ATi SB400/SB450 support and what do you mean with the X550 kext? Is this a solution for QE/CI?

I've got a X700 , which has got the same architecture as the X550, but I can't get CI/QE!

Adam

Hi,

if it will work on my PC (the only release that worked was Leo4x200),i'll download it.

Please add ATi SB400/SB450 support and what do you mean with the X550 kext? Is this a solution for QE/CI?

I've got a X700 , which has got the same architecture as the X550, but I can't get CI/QE!

Adam

Hi Adam,

I have found this kext on a thread where the author suggested that using an older OpenGL framework made this card work with QE/CI. I don't remember the exact thread but i'm sure you will find it with a little bit of search on "x550".

if itll run on my P4, Via P4X266 with radeon 9550 pro... but it probably won't. However, Id bundle some additional stuff, like QuickSilver.

Would you be kind and give me a link for the kext that works on this specific chipset? Because if you can fix "Still waiting for root device" with a patch, it will not be hard to bundle it on the Extensions for the DVD boot.

Will it support the apple usb-ethernet adapter as sold for the macbook air?

like in: http://www.sustworks.com/site/news_usb_ethernet.html

I'll be among the first ones to test your dvd anyway.

regards, jagger

Thanks for the link, very useful contribution.

and: why is it called "achitect"? :P

:)

zuz

I hope it's not based on Monty Python's Architect Sketch ;-)

I would like to betatest because I have different nForce 4 systems here and have to reinstall anyway. I hope the 10.5.5+ gfx drivers for the X1600Pro (0x71c2) will work. It is possible also to use the secondary graphics port which has the ID 0x71ce ?

Do you have experimented with ATITVOut.kext? If I enter my device ID (either primary or secondary) the extension will be loaded. I get gfx output on TV if I'm booting with "Graphics Mode"="800x600x32", but in the system itself there's no TV output.