iPhone 3G 2.2 Update

Voltic

14 posts in this topic

I was looking around this morning curious about the jailbreak progress for the 2.2 iPhone update and apparently the unaltered update (from Apple) has been confirmed to contain a baseband update.

This means that any work that the Dev Team has done as far as progress into unlocking the 3G could very well be null and void if you run this.

Update:The newest PwnageTool (2.2.1) has been released and has been proven to remove the baseband update while preserving everything else. This is the only safe route possible right now... sorry, Windows users!

GOLDEN RULE: If you have a 3G iPhone and want potential soft unlock in the near future do NOT use QuickPwn, and do not use the official ipsw or the iTunes update process without using PwnageTool.

Download links for PwnageTool can be found via the Dev Team's website.

Source: iPhone Dev Team

Yeah, I personally think Rebel and Gevey-3G are the best two on the market right now, but I'd prefer an actual unlock... the method used with these so-called 'unlock' solutions is somewhat shady and might be illegal depending on the country it's being used in due to the fact that it sends false data to the network.

Also, the article does mention that some of those might not work anymore.

Get Rebel SimCard, it works fine with me in Portugal with 2.1 firmware and even after 2.2 firmware still works fine. Tested with TMN card.

Just now read that the rebel simcard would work with the 2.2 and the new baseband version but without the 3G.

Do you have a locked iPhone, not jailbreaked, running the 2.2 firmware and it works with rebel simcard? Both GSM and 3G??

Appreciate!

Just updated to 2.2 by using the lates pwnage tool (mac) without updating the baseband. Updated and activated with iTunes 8.0.2.

My proxy card (Poland) still works for both gsm and 3g/E. The new firmware is way faster than the previous one. I like it.

Thx

PS: Link to the blog info: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/61060174/t...onte-he-say-yes

Just now read that the rebel simcard would work with the 2.2 and the new baseband version but without the 3G.

Do you have a locked iPhone, not jailbreaked, running the 2.2 firmware and it works with rebel simcard? Both GSM and 3G??

Appreciate!

I don´t use 3G since it drains more battery, and the 3G signal where I live is not that good. I use wireless to connect to the internet .

I can´t say if 3G works with rebel since I´ve never tested it.

But if you take a look at available firmwares for rebel simcard, you´lll see that the latest says - Faster 3G Access.

I yeah, my iPhone is locked ... to Vodafone and I used it with a card from TMN

I don´t use 3G since it drains more battery, and the 3G signal where I live is not that good. I use wireless to connect to the internet .

I can´t say if 3G works with rebel since I´ve never tested it.

But if you take a look at available firmwares for rebel simcard, you´lll see that the latest says - Faster 3G Access.

I yeah, my iPhone is locked ... to Vodafone and I used it with a card from TMN

Weird, over here 3G has better reception and calls sound better. Yes battery drains very fast but I connect almost every dya to sync or put new apps.

For some proxy cards you have to enable roaming-option in settings/network and disable wifi in order to go online. Don't forget to activate your iphone with the cotract card. I'm using herefor a prepayd card of my simlocking provider.

@macgirl

A 3g reception is not always good. As always it depands on how strong is the signal. However when covered I have no probs with bandwich on 3g.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...