Calling VAIO Owners with NVIDIA 7600 GO graphics

thecodecowboy

20 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'd like to hear from anyone who has a Vaio VGN series laptop with an Nvidia graphics chip - 7600 Go with 128MB VRAM - and has a fully working internal LCD screen at the correct resolution. Mine is a VGN-FE21S. Having an external display working doesn't count!

If you have successfully installed a driver for this graphics card / chip on Leopard (10.5.x), please share how you did it.

Many thanks,

codecowboy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Actually I managed to get the internal display working(vgn-fe21m, 7600go), managed to change the resolution as well, but no qe/ci(I found out later on that its non doable with vaios unless someone writes some code). Unfortunately after trying to get qe/ci, I f**cked it up completely and now needs re-installing osx which I find useless, since my wireless doesnt work either. But the main issue is, well, I dont remember exactly how I did it. It took some effort, but the only things I remember are that I propably installed the graphics update(10.5.5, I used iATKOS installer) and then messed with the macvidia drivers, removing and reinstalling some kexts, but what I do remember is that I didnt have to change NVCAP at all.

Shame, it would be nice if a skilled programmer got a vaio in his hands...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I reinstalled os, and here's the procedure that gets you other resolutions:

iATKOS 1.5.5, graphics update(I wonder if thats necessary, since I then erased all kexts involved...

Installed MAcvidia drivers(latest), Reboot, got the black screen, reboot to windows, removed nvidiaGA.kext, got different resolutions but with artifacts(thinks my internal display has two monitors!), removed iondrvsupport.kext(dont ask why, just decided to do it) and everything is ok, apart from qe/ci unfortunately...

• 1 month later...
Well, I reinstalled os, and here's the procedure that gets you other resolutions:

iATKOS 1.5.5, graphics update(I wonder if thats necessary, since I then erased all kexts involved...

Installed MAcvidia drivers(latest), Reboot, got the black screen, reboot to windows, removed nvidiaGA.kext, got different resolutions but with artifacts(thinks my internal display has two monitors!), removed iondrvsupport.kext(dont ask why, just decided to do it) and everything is ok, apart from qe/ci unfortunately...

I have recently installed iPC 10.5.6 and I tried a number of different approaches to make my graphics card work but what I always get is blank screen. After each fresh install, the OS loads ok but when i try to change "efi" or "install nvkush/nvinject" or any other solution, it just breaks and I get black screen. As this thread was started for 7600GO on sony VAIO notebook, I have the same notebook and card. It is 256MB VRAM card but after trying lots of different techniques, I am still unable to get display on my notebook screen. If any of you or any other senior group member has solved the issue, please guide me. I have tried to create a separate thread with detailed step of my latest attempt too so I have to see if moderator will be allowing that post or not. To be on safe side, I am pasting all the steps here, so it may be helpful for others too.

==================================================

I have a tough time setting up my graphics card with latest 10.5.6 of iPC installation. I am writing here in detail so may be someone else can use information to solve their issue too.

--------------------------------

Hardware Information

Sony VAIO notebook. NVIDIA graphics card GeForce 7600Go. 256 MB VRAM, 128 MB dedicated and 128 MB shared.

Attempted Solution

I tried everything from setting EFI string in com.apple.boot.plist to trying all the differnet drivers provided in the 10.5.6 setup. Finally I found this link so this was my last attemp to setup the graphics card and it didn't work either. The link is: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...rt=#entry964071

Here are the steps what I did:

1. Install the 10.5.6 with vodoo kernel and "Ge Force 7600" driver.

2. Move to trash all NV* files in /system/library/Extensions

3. Move to trash all Ge* files in /system/library/Extensions

4. Moved to trash all files from:

/system/library/extensions/cache

/system/library/cache

and system/library/extensions.mkext

5. Downloaded the NVinjectGo.kext.

6. Changed the NVCap value to:

040100010e000100020000000000010b01000000

found it from this link:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...php/t85853.html

7. Then installed NVinjectGo.kext with kexthelper, which also sets the permission.

8. Made sure there was no NVinject.kext in /system/library/extensions.

9. Installed NVkushinstaller.pkg from their website.

10. Installed NVidia-Leopard-Graphics-Kexts.pkg.

11. Rebooted

Expected Result

Should boot with full graphics support and high screen resolution.

Actual result

When I rebooted the system first time with "-v -f" flag, it showed all detailed text but after last line of text, screen flashed twice and just left me with a blank screen.

The reason why I think that I am close to a solution is that before screen go blank, I can see that it was able to detect my card. Here is text:

NVKush: By Diabolik

NVKush: GeForce 7600go Detected

NVKush: a Diabolik Joint

I need help from anyone who has successfully solved the issue with same card. I have tried everything already, may be run setup 20-30 times so I am really tired of doing it again and again. I will really really appreciate help on it. I am a newbie with OSx so it will be nice if help is given with detailed steps.

Thank you

Well, finally I got things at least working for now. I had gone through too many forums, too many attempts and 30-40 times installation so I think I would like to write down my experience here and it may save other VAIO users from having the same issue which I faced. I have used the ipc pcwiz 10.5.6 installation.

1. Graphics:

I tried nvinject and all other drivers, nothing worked for me. So, I installed fresh copy without any graphics card driver. Then I followed the steps mentioned in above post of installing the Macvidia drivers. I have a 7600Go card and I used macvidia 1.0.81 installation. That installion has code to remove "iondrvsupport.kext" from extensions folder, so you don't have to do it manually. Other thing is that you have to remove "nvidiaGA.bundle" file from extensions folder or it wont boot. This is just a correction b/c I didn't find "nvidiaGA.kext" file in extensions folder and when I didn't remove "nvidiaGA.bundle" file, my computer didn't reboot.

2. Sound card:

I have a sigmatel 7661 and I followed the instructions on http://aakash-bapna.blogspot.com/2008/03/s...l-lan-card.html this site for sound card. I had the "AppleHDAPatcher 1.20" already installed as part of ipc installation. One thing for other newbies like me, when I saved the linux dump text using textedit, it was saving in rtf format and It was causing AppleHDAPatcher to fail. I find out then that there is an option in format menu to convert the text into plain text instead of rtf and then u can save the file as ".txt". After that just drop the file in AppleHDAPatcher and it worked.

The only issue left now is that I can cant control screen brightness. If any VAIO user or other notebook user has found a solution for that please let me know. I am new to mac as well, so i checked in "System Preferences -> display" and there is no slider for brightness control. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Well, finally I got things at least working for now. I had gone through too many forums, too many attempts and 30-40 times installation so I think I would like to write down my experience here and it may save other VAIO users from having the same issue which I faced. I have used the ipc pcwiz 10.5.6 installation.

1. Graphics:

I tried nvinject and all other drivers, nothing worked for me. So, I installed fresh copy without any graphics card driver. Then I followed the steps mentioned in above post of installing the Macvidia drivers. I have a 7600Go card and I used macvidia 1.0.81 installation. That installion has code to remove "iondrvsupport.kext" from extensions folder, so you don't have to do it manually. Other thing is that you have to remove "nvidiaGA.bundle" file from extensions folder or it wont boot. This is just a correction b/c I didn't find "nvidiaGA.kext" file in extensions folder and when I didn't remove "nvidiaGA.bundle" file, my computer didn't reboot.

2. Sound card:

I have a sigmatel 7661 and I followed the instructions on http://aakash-bapna.blogspot.com/2008/03/s...l-lan-card.html this site for sound card. I had the "AppleHDAPatcher 1.20" already installed as part of ipc installation. One thing for other newbies like me, when I saved the linux dump text using textedit, it was saving in rtf format and It was causing AppleHDAPatcher to fail. I find out then that there is an option in format menu to convert the text into plain text instead of rtf and then u can save the file as ".txt". After that just drop the file in AppleHDAPatcher and it worked.

The only issue left now is that I can cant control screen brightness. If any VAIO user or other notebook user has found a solution for that please let me know. I am new to mac as well, so i checked in "System Preferences -> display" and there is no slider for brightness control. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Do you have QE/CI?? I think you would be the first Vaio/Nvidia user to get that working on the internal panel if you did. let us know!

In my case (Vaio VGN-AR31E, nVidia GeForce GO 7400, iDeneb V4 - 10.5.6) i can say that MacVidia really was the Key to access( Internel Display 1440x900x32@60). The only Problem is the Core. It runns in Software Mode. Any Ideas how to change ?

• 2 weeks later...

From what I can see,this solution works for the vaio laptop model vgn-ar31 with gf 7400go, so my question is, should this actually work with vgn-ar41L?? I should probably mention that vgn-ar41L has a mobile version of 8400gt. 

I'm waiting for a response so i can start messing with my lappy. BTW this could be the happiest day of my life :rolleyes: 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks

Hi!

I got a SONY VAIO VGN-NR21S/S

with NVIDIA® GeForce® 8400M GT GPU Dedicated mem: 895 MB, Seprate:128 MB

)

I have Windows server 2008 installed (set as workstation )

and I got the same issue in there..IF you are talking about the Brightness shortcuts on the keyboard..

I belive that it works perfectly in it's orginal OS (Vista premium)

but In windows 2008 server I had to go in to the nvidia controlpanel and change it there..

I don't know if that was the answer you where looking for..

My laptop is a Sony Vaio AR61S with 4GB memory, Geforce 8600M GT 256MB, 2x200GB HDDs, Bluray.

I'm using iPC 10.5.6 Final. I have managed to get the ethernet adapter (Marvell Yukon 88E8055) and Sigmatel 7664 audio working just fine. I can't see my internal SATA HDDs but that's not a problem because I'm running Leopard off an external USB drive.

My only problem is the graphics card. I'm currently using NVDarwin256. System Profiler correctly identifies my chip but I don't have hardware support for CoreImage or Quartz Extreme. I've tried some other drivers but no luck there too.

System Profiler and OSx86 Tools both correctly display the Vendor (10de) and Device ID (0407). This is the string:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8600M GT [10de:0407] (rev a1)

This is how it appears Device Manager in Vista:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0407&SUBSYS_9016104D&REV_A1

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0407&SUBSYS_9016104D

Any help getting hardware acceleration to work would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. You're great guys.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

It is possible to enable the advanced bios section in Vaio's with Insyde. The advanced section has a lot more options than any standard bios and includes a graphics and display section which might help with this problem. Tried to start a new thread, but never showed up - pretty sure this hasn't been mentioned anywhere here so not sure what's goin on with that.

Anyway, take a look here and read comments - proceed at your own risk obviously!

http://feature-enable.blogspot.com/2009/07...-sony-vaio.html