kseelbo

D-Link DWL-G510 802.11G card working in 10.4.5

22 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Just wanted to let any interested parties know that the D-Link DWL-510 card works under 10.4.5. I just modified the AppleAirport2.kext. The kext has 4 device ID's listed in it, so I changed one to my card's ID (0X168c001a) and ran chown and the system recognized it as an Airport card.

Advertisement

Heyoo, which file did you edit?

in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext/Contents/Info.plist is only this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>

<string>English</string>

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>

<string>AppleAirPort2</string>

<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>

<string>4.0.4, Copyright © 2002 - 2005 Apple Computer, Inc., All Rights Reserved</string>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.iokit.AppleAirPort2</string>

<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>

<string>6.0</string>

<key>CFBundleName</key>

<string>AppleAirPort2</string>

<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>

<string>KEXT</string>

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>

<string>4.0.4</string>

<key>CFBundleSignature</key>

<string>????</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>404.2</string>

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

<dict>

<key>Broadcom PCI</key>

<dict>

<key>APMonitorMode</key>

<false/>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.iokit.AppleAirPort2</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AirPortPCI_MM</string>

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>

<string>IODefaultMatchCategory</string>

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci14e4,4318</string>

<string>pci106b,4e</string>

<string>pci14e4,4320</string>

<string>pci14e4,4324</string>

<string>pci14e4,4325</string>

</array>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

</dict>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>

<dict>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily</key>

<string>1.5.0</string>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>

<string>1.6</string>

<key>com.apple.kernel.iokit</key>

<string>7.9.9</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.bsd</key>

<string>8.0.0</string>

</dict>

</dict>

</plist>

I want to get at least one of my Wireless cards to work =)

I have those:

NetGear MA401

D-Link AirPlus DWL-650+

Lucent Orinoco Gold (my honey :()

And last but not least my Xircom Credit Card

Any ideas if there is hope for me? :offtopic:

Hi, I modded one of the PCI strings, there are 5 (sorry I put 4 earlier).

I chose the shortest one to mod. Any one of them should work. Change the text to: <string>pci(insert 4 digit vendor id),(insert 4 digit device id)</string>

Remember to run sudo chown -R root:wheel/(location of file)

my dwl-g510 revision b got auto detected with no editing. i also had a dwl-g520b2 that i traded to my brother for the 510 because it didnt work out of the box... might have with kext editing but it was easier to do the trade :)

Well i added all of my cards:

<string>pci342,2</string> # Lucent Orinoco

<string>pci4172,33792</string> # D-Link DWL-650+

<string>pci11,29440</string> # Netgear MA-401

<string>pci261,2050</string> # Xircom Credit Card

None of them seemed to get support in my System Preferences..

Well for my older cards, do i need to add them to AppleAirport.kext instead of the v2?

My card doesn't show up in the system profiler ("error gathering information", but it does show up under the system pref's under networking. Maybe your cards use a chipset different than Apple's airport cards. I think the 510 and 520 D-Link cards use the same chipset, hence their compatibility.

grmpf :/ i hope someone gets other wireless nics to work soon ;)

I mean there is an FreeBSD under it, so it can't be that hard porting existing freebsd drivers to macos ;)

okay,

I have bought a DWL-G510 airplus card and have been trying to get it to work. I've tried changing the AppleAirPort2.kext file by adding the device id 0X168c001a ran chown and disk utilities repair permissions, ran kextload and it failed.

I can't see the pci card in system profiler? I'm running 10.4.4, are these cards only working in 10.4.5? Any solutions, besides updating...

After a particularly shaky update to 10.4.5 I am hitting brickwall after brickwall.

My DWL-G510 is still not being seen by System Profiler, the IONetworking kext (version 10.4.3) isnt working, but the (10.4.5) version is. IO80211.kext is loading (but not staying loaded after a restart and kextcache) and the AppleAirport2 kext is not loading at all.

I'm wondering what the hell is going on.

the following kext files aren't loading at startup (seen in console):

AppleHPET (this didn't exsist before 10.4.5)

AppleIntel8254XEthernet (this doesn't even exsist, but it's trying to load it - and yes my built in intelg945 ethernet is working...)

man my brain is sore.

I have a D-Link AirPlus DWL-650+ (Rev P) myself; under 10.4.1 (Developer Release, fixed) it was recognized, the light lit up and there was an icon in the system tray... I'm currently using JAS's 10.4.6 and this is no longer the case. IIRC I installed with the card in in 10.4.1 and didn't do this in 10.4.6. What I'd like to know is assuming I'm stupid enough to blow away a working install of JAS 10.4.6 and the installer finds and setups the PCMCIA card, would editing the kext file have any results for me? How would I do such a thing? I'm a real n00b here when it comes to Hackintosh, so everything would need to be in baby steps but I'd love to be able to do WiFi on my laptop in OSX86!

--bornagainpenguin

According to a Google search, the DWL-650+ has a Prism chipset. Apple does not have a driver for Prism in recent builds of OSX. I'm surprised that 10.4.1 worked.

Heh... Is this one of those things that work when you don't know any better? LOL! It was recognized as a PCMCIA card, but not as a airport, so this may just be a misunderstanding on my part. Then again like I said I had an icon with the device name at the system tray that allowed me to turn it on and off from there, so who knows?

Anyway, someone created a driver that you can try: http://www.totosoft.de/GTDriver.dmg

Thanks! I'll reboot now and give it a shot! :) Wish me luck....

--bornagainpenguin

UPDATE: Okay, I rebooted and mounted the DMG, installed it and rebooted... no joy. :) I guess I'll do a new install later this afternoon with the card inserted and see if that makes any differences for me. I may also see if I can figure out how to burn my old 10.4.1 install again but I don't know if that would make any difference; the image is corrupted I think and my old burned copy covered with scratches from the #### laptop drive...

Then again like I said I had an icon with the device name at the system tray that allowed me to turn it on and off from there, so who knows?

That was the PCMCIA card manager. The Airport symbol in the menu bar (system tray) is shaped like a triangle full of arcs (baseball field shaped) which represent the signal strength.

That was the PCMCIA card manager. The Airport symbol in the menu bar (system tray) is shaped like a triangle full of arcs (baseball field shaped) which represent the signal strength.

Right. Which is more than I'm seeing now under OSX86 10.4.6...leading me to wonder if I need to install with the card in the slot for the PCMCIA manager to load up, because I am unable to get even that much to work whereas in OSX86 10.4.1 I had automatic loading of the card manager whenever I inserted the PCMCIA card... Even if I was unable to actually do anything about it! :(

Any idea if the method described above can work for getting the airport part of things working for me?

--bornagainpenguin (soon to return home)

:blowup: Sigh... :blowup:

Well reinstalling with the card in didn't do anything except show me in -v mode that the 10.4.6 (JAS) installer wasn't loading the PC Card:

IOPCCardBridge bad bridge bus numbering, no room to fix, bailing out!

then a little bit down further it spits out

IOPCCardBridge::checkBridgeBusIDs invalid sub/cardbus/pci settings of 0x0

In the 10.4.1 installer I have it simply loads the kext and keeps going. There are similar errors in the 10.4.6 (JAS) installer for the AppleAC97Audio.kext that I never see in the 10.4.1 install, which can be fixed by overwriting with other kexts-- is this a possible lead on getting the PCMCIA card manager to load again?

Any suggestions on where to look next would be appreciated! ^^;

--bornagainpenguin

@bornagainpenguin:

I had the same problem with PC Cards on 10.4.6 and 10.4.7. They were recognized under 10.4.1 and also 10.4.4, but not on any other version.

Finally I solved the problem - just replaced the IOPCIFamily.kext with that from version 10.4.4. I also tried 10.4.1, but I only got a kernel panic with that one. The 10.4.4 file works fine for me now under 10.4.7 and PCMCIA cards are recognized... nevertheless I still try to get wlan working. :D

Hi, I modded one of the PCI strings, there are 5 (sorry I put 4 earlier).

I chose the shortest one to mod. Any one of them should work. Change the text to: <string>pci(insert 4 digit vendor id),(insert 4 digit device id)</string>

Remember to run sudo chown -R root:wheel/(location of file)

But in your first post, the ID is longer than 8 characters. PLEASE HELP. I AM INSTALLING THE SAME CARD!!

macuser9214!

He wrote this: the card's ID (0X168c001a)

0x168c001a means hexadecimal 168c001a

so the number is the last eight characters

I hope this will help you, I don't have any experience with wireless drivers

I have a D-Link DWL-650; but unfortunately it cannot be seen under the System Configuration in OSX. For some reason the PCMCIA adapter is not being shown under Sys. Config.; how did you guys get it to view your PCMCIA card?

Many thanks!