AMD Software Update 0.5 Lockups

alicizmar

3 posts in this topic

So I've been trying to update my Kalyway 10.5.2 to 10.5.5 using Zephyroth's AMD Software Update, as I read this method works for those using Kalyway on AMD. However, I'm having a problem that hosed my install the first time I tried updating with it.

While it's downloading, or extracting the package, or even installing the package, the progress bar stops moving. Sure, it does that wave effect and the program itself doesn't seem to be hung up, yet the progress bar sits. And sits. And sits. And there it will stay no matter how long you leave the computer alone. The only way that bar does anything is to close the program and start over.

It did this while I was updating Quicktime awhile back, but I set it to modify only and after a couple more tries it produced a working modified package that installed just fine.

I forgot about this little quirk when I attempted to install 10.5.5. And unfortunately, it did this in the middle of installing and hosed Leopard. :D

Lesson learned, I reinstalled and am trying to get ASU to build the modified 10.5.5. No go. I found a "modified" update online, but it's not a combo update and so would hose my install yet again.

I'm on my fifth try with ASU, and now the progress bar stopped again in the middle of extracting. What's even more frustrating is it has to download the 600 meg update EVERY time with no way I know of to make it use the already downloaded package. I had a bright idea and was going to try using Marvin's AMD Utility after installing the un-modded update...it borked my USB in the process. Reinstalled again.

So here I sit, staring at this hopeless ASU, asking...what do I do to get an AMD-friendly Combo Update? Offer free ham sandwiches, popcorn, or cookies?

Can anyone help with this? Pretty please? I just might send you some popcorn for trying! :P

Hey there...

I´ve had similiar problems with the ASU...

But I´ve managed to update, first from Zephyroth 10.5.2 to 10.5.4, and then from iAtkos 4a 10.5.4 to 10.5.5(and I´ve now got all the latest updates installed)...

I think the trick is to make sure that you do not leave ANYTHING in your(the current user) Downloads folder, as well as deleting all caches(Onyx is good for that purpose).

And just do one update at a time. That does seem to work better...

I also did let ASU download, modify and install the update in one go, and that worked great.

Hope that helps, but perhaps someone else can give you a more precise answer. :P

Ztardust