VMware P2V

5 posts in this topic

• 5 months later...
Has anyone tried out VMware's P2V product on OSX86? It takes a physically installed (native) system and turns it into a virtual one.

I'm curious if this would work, as there are times I need to work under a different OS and it would be nice to be able to open OSX.

Anyone, anyone?

I have OSx86 up and running 99.9% perfect, but would like to do some scanning in Windows (since my SCSI card isn't recognized in OS X), but would like to have OS X available.

Anyone?

This won't answer your question directly about p2v, but it's a possible alternative.

On this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=22870

i suggested a way to access a native osx install through vmware; i had success with it, but didn't use it extensively. You would have to look at other vmware settings in the vmware install guide on the GeniusBar forums. The resulting virtual machine is very small of course since everything is on the real partition.

I didn't check any network support nor shared access to a partition or folder though.

Update: Got it to work.

I created a new Virtual Machine, said to use a physical disk, use a partition - selected my bootable partition (partition #1 for me, not #0). Selected FreeBSD (this isn't correct - needs to be set to Windows NT).

Booted up - get MBR error.

Next, booted Acronis Boot CD with Disk Director, and set my Partition #1 to Active.

Get a MBR Error, but then it boots up fine.

Good to go (so far)!

-Dan