Sharing a partition but which format?

10 posts in this topic

I plan to build my next hackintosh so I've got 2x 250gb for OSX and 1x 500gb for WINXP. On the disk of WINXP I want a partition of 100GB that can easily viewed bij osx and winxp.

Which format can I take? Files would be movies, mp3, pictures.

Out-of-the-box you can read and write FAT32 in OS X.

FAT32 has a filesize limit of 4GB so if you think you'd be using files larger than that you'll have to go NTFS.

NTFS is read-only in OS X.

HFS is out XP-side without third-party software. Same goes for write access to NTFS in OS X.

Ok, but what I meant is that there's no universal format that both can read/write without third party software? And what about ext3? It's for linux world but for the two others?

DVD's are 4,7gb so there goes the FAT32, woops :D

I'll take paragon NTFS as a plan B :censored2:

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a 1TB drive for storage. Music, movies, et cetera.

I have XP, Vista, Linux, and Mac OS. I'll be formatting the new HDD as HFS+.

Why? I primarily use Mac OS. For access in Windows, MacDrive is a real treat. I don't write anything from Mac OS to the Windows partitions themselves, so their NTFS scheme is fine there.

Currently, I have an 80GB drive for storage formatted as FAT32... but yes, this 4GB filesize limit is a pain.

HFS+ FTW.

• 1 month later...

Just wondering how is the transfer speed that the Paragon NTFS does. I use MacFUSE + NTFS 3g (Both are Freeware). It works fine on doing read/write Music, Picture. For example, both my itune on either side share the same Library file and folder so I imported musics on either side, both see it. However, for read/write the movie/or video, read is fine, but try to edit it on that? No, too slow! need to copy over then do it. It takes time to write on Mac side. For example, if I copy over a file/folder that is the size of 10GB. man, that really took a while, just as if you copy the same thing into a ATA33 Hard drive. (Not that you can't do it, just too slow.)

And for Mac drive on windows side, it doesn't work in 64 bit of windows and plus it cost money. So..............

Just my oppinion....

I've been using a shared HFS+ partition with MacDrive to allow XP to read/write and I can't fault it.

I've generally found XP takes longer to copy large files to other partitions than OS X and this still seems to be the case with the shared HFS+ partition.