DAW of choice

thymceelie

7 posts in this topic

I've used several pro tools LE systems over the years and finally got fed up with them. Currently using Garageband and Ableton Live for a DAW. Is Logic Express worth the $$ or should I just go back to pro tools or go the full blown Logic Studio (buy once , cry once?) Also any favorite firewire interfaces/preamps you guys have would be welcomed as well. Been looking at the presonus and motu stuff mostly. thx

-T

Hi, I've been down that road to (protools etc). If I need to bang something together fast I use Garageband then I transfer it over to Logic Express. I have access to Protools LE 7.4 but don't use it much.

I like Logic Express for sound quality and mixing (aux sends are easy to config and see). I also like the interface as U can see mix and time line at the same time (and patch list). What I don't like are the transport control and markers. Still it is the one I reach for first.

For interfaces I've got a Firepod. I like the pre-amps and flexibility. REally nice if U need/want 8 in and 8 out. But... I get the impression that it isn't as reliable as the MOTU. I haven't tried the 8Pre which is the other one I looked at. Nice to have 8 switchable phantoms (FP10 has 2 sets of 4 phantoms).

I haven't been very definitive but I hope it helps.

Khan

We've been looking at the firepod (or some derivative) as an option. Was thinking about the Firestudio Tube to try maximize the quality of the vocals. And the multi ins-outs is also something we'd like as we're using Ableton in a live setting and like the flexibility of routing that multiples ins/outs gives us. Thanks for the input.

i advise you to buy Logic Studio instead of logic express

You ll get a big content & many plugins for a really decent price !!

For the audio intefaces part i have a motu 828 that works great on both mac & pc i m really happy with it !

I've never used Pro Tools, but i went from Ableton to Logic Pro and haven't looked back. In hindsight, Ableton always put an 'Ableton-esque' sound/feel to anything i produced in it, i always felt a little confined to do stuff the ableton way. Logic is much more of a blank canvas, its more intuitive, and i work faster in it as a result, plus the sound out of it is IMHO better. After playing with Cubase, Acid, FL & Ableton i find Logic Pro is in a class of its own. FYI i produce electronic stuff (tech-house/electro).

Ableton always put an 'Ableton-esque' sound/feel to anything i produced in it,

I m 100% agree with you on this point !

Though i still use Ableton to begin most projects i find it very intuitive & fast to use

Once i v done with the basic sequencing i finish my mix in logic