Hard Disk Problems

Voltic

5 posts in this topic

So after pulling one of my external hard disks from its enclosure to use as a guinea pig for my laptop, and getting the OS up and running, I decide to repartition the larger disk I normally use.

I repartitioned it to a 200GB Windows and 100GB OSX partition... now I expected some issues with the disk possibly not being bootable after I installed OSX, but the BIOS doesn't even recognize the hard disk as a valid option in its boot order anymore. I've reinstalled OS X numerous times, even going so far as to clear out everything but a huge ext3 partition and small swap partition and throwing Linux onto the disk by itself, and nothing seems to want to work.

The BIOS does recognize the disk, just not as a boot option.

I'm stumped on this one.... it'd be nice to keep the hard drive, but if it sounds like it's toast, I couldn't really argue there either.

Well, yes, I went back and did that after just to make sure, but it already was active.

Funny thing though, because I went back to the OSX installer and opened the Startup Disk tool to do it and the HDD doesn't show up in there at all either, but when I load up a Linux Live CD, gparted recognizes it fine.

Wow, I fixed it with something I didn't really expect to fix it with.

I was running through my BIOS for options that might have gotten changed somehow, and decided out of the blue to default the entire BIOS out.

Looked back at the boot order and my hard drive popped right back where it should be.

One of the stranger problems I've had... thanks for the suggestion though. :D

Welcome to Hackintosh!

yeah that about sums up the whole hackintosh experience, weird fixes everywhere =D it just makes it more fun to do

(I apologize for coherency, I hit my head pretty hard in class today)