How do I share files between user-accounts on OSX Tiger?

rodluvan

8 posts in this topic

Hello!

I'm pretty much a newbie to Mac even though I've had one for over a year, the smart interface has never forced me to really get involved with the inner workings of the OS like I had to when I had a PC (I felt I really had to know what it was doing, since left to it's on devices if would mess things up royally).

However, now I'm confused about something. On my Mac I have to accounts set up. One for me and one of my girlfriend. Logged into my account I have a few movies in the movies folder on the HD. When she loges into her account there's no movies in her movie-folder. How do we share a folder (or many) between accounts?

Thank you!

Every user has his/her own completely separate "home directory" with Movies, Pictures, Music, etc. What you see in your account is actually a completely different directory than the one your girlfriend sees.

You can verify this by clicking your main system drive in the left pane of the finder, and then browse into Users. You will see one directory for each user there. If you browse into your own home directory, and then into Movies you will see the movie you are looking for.

If you want your girlfriend to have access to your Movies directory (which cannot be accessed by other users by default), you can log into your account, right click your Movies directory, select "Get Info" and then change the "Sharing & Permissions" by adding your girlfriend to the list (the + sign) and giving her read rights (you can also give her write permissions if you like).

She can then navigate to your Movies directories from within the finder by browsing into /Users/YourAccount/Movies.

Good luck!

If you want your girlfriend to have access to your Movies directory (which cannot be accessed by other users by default), you can log into your account, right click your Movies directory, select "Get Info" and then change the "Sharing & Permissions" by adding your girlfriend to the list (the + sign) and giving her read rights (you can also give her write permissions if you like).

She can then navigate to your Movies directories from within the finder by browsing into /Users/YourAccount/Movies.

Good luck!

Thank you that worked. However, there are no "Sharing & Permissions" for me, it's "Ownership & Permissions" and there's no 'list' of things. Thera are "Owner, group and Others" each with their own level of permissions (access). In "Group" I put: Group=everyone, Access=read only". Seems to work.

A follow up question. Ho do I make ordinary shortcuts on the desktop? I want to make a shortcut to my movie-directory on her desktop so that she needn't 'search' for the directory in finder every time.

Thank you that worked. However, there are no "Sharing & Permissions" for me, it's "Ownership & Permissions" and there's no 'list' of things. Thera are "Owner, group and Others" each with their own level of permissions (access). In "Group" I put: Group=everyone, Access=read only". Seems to work.

A follow up question. Ho do I make ordinary shortcuts on the desktop? I want to make a shortcut to my movie-directory on her desktop so that she needn't 'search' for the directory in finder every time.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I'm using Leo now. But I'm glad it still worked. :o

You could also drag your Movies directory into your girlfriend's Finder Side Bar (or left panel) from within her account.

That's weird. What if you drag your newly created soft link into it?

Sorry, it did work! I was trying to create a shortcut in the dock (not the finder). I was so sure that that was what yo meant that I didn't read you correctly and I'm not that familiar with all the nomenclature of the mac yet.

Thank you for your help!