Custom Resolutions?

30 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

I'm up and running on the ASRock 775Dual-915GL and everything is great, however I can't use my LCD (Dell 2005fpw) native resolution (1680x1050). QuartzExtreme/CoreImage is working great, and I can choose from several resolutions - just not the one i need. The closest I can get it 1400x1050 which stretches the screen - is there a way to set a custom resolution somehow? I did see a PPC app that does allow you to, but obviously that won't work. Isn't there a configuration file somewhere that can be edited?

(Yes, I have it set to 1680x1050 in com.Apple.Boot.plist)

Thanks guys!

any of you tried the boot command "Graphics Mode"="1400x1050x24@75" (with quotes)?

the 24 is 24 bit color and 75 is the refresh rate ... change that to what you want to try...

if it works all you need is to add this string to your com.apple.... boot.plist so that you don't need to enter it on every boot

<Key>Graphics Mode</Key>

<String>1400x1050x24@75</String>

any of you tried the boot command "Graphics Mode"="1400x1050x24@75" (with quotes)?

the 24 is 24 bit color and 75 is the refresh rate ... change that to what you want to try...

if it works all you need is to add this string to your com.apple.... boot.plist so that you don't need to enter it on every boot

<Key>Graphics Mode</Key>

<String>1400x1050x24@75</String>

Tauge - yes I tried 1680x1050 in my com.Apple.boot.plist

The problem is that OSX doesn't recognize my monitor as supporting 1680x1050 - I tried an app called cscreen which allows custom resolutions and even going to 1680x1050, I got "monitor cannot display this mode" (on the LCD itself).

I am assuming this is a problem with the VGA output and hopefully the DVI connector will allow for the proper resolution.

• 2 weeks later...

*bump*

I'm having this same problem. I have the AsRock 775Dual-915GL motherboard (915GL/GMA900 video) and an Acer AL2032W 20.1" wide aspect lcd... I should be able to support WSXGA+ at 1680x1050, but I can't get it beyond 1600x1200.

I can't get cscreen to recognize it... ?v doesn't show it.

I installed this new system with the release 1 dvd so I never had the AppleIntel830.kext

I edited the AppleIntel915.kext and AppleIntelIntegrated.kext Info.plist files to change the 0x2582 to 2592, no dice, 2780, no dice. They work, mind, but they don't show any different resolutions in the list.

I realize that this is a relatively minor issue compared to what some have, but I'd be chuffed to have it go at 1680x1050 wide aspect.

Anyone get this to work?

Thanks!

*bump*

I'm having this same problem.  I have the AsRock 775Dual-915GL motherboard (915GL/GMA900 video) and an Acer AL2032W 20.1" wide aspect lcd...  I should be able to support WSXGA+ at 1680x1050, but I can't get it beyond 1600x1200.

I installed this new system with the release 1 dvd so I never had the AppleIntel830.kext

I edited the AppleIntel915.kext and AppleIntelIntegrated.kext Info.plist files to change the 0x2582 to 2592, no dice, 2780, no dice.  They work, mind, but they don't show any different resolutions in the list.

I realize that this is a relatively minor issue compared to what some have, but I'd be chuffed to have  it go at 1680x1050 wide aspect.

Anyone get this to work?

Thanks!

If you can, return the board now. The only way (I know of) to get any widescreen resolutions is to use the SGI ADD-2 card. The ASRock board DOES NOT support the ADD-2 card (I tried it). I ended up returning the board and bought the intel 915GUXL instead - works great with the ADD-2 card (1680x1050 no problem) and I also gained about 10 points in my XBench scores (same install, etc, new DDR2 memory).

It should be noted that the ASRock manual does sort of say it won't work w/the ADD2-N card... They don't have a fully-complient PCI-e slot.

Oh, it is SIIG card (Orion I think), although the HP one does supposedly use the same chipset.

If you can, return the board now. The only way (I know of) to get any widescreen resolutions is to use the SGI ADD-2 card. The ASRock board DOES NOT support the ADD-2 card (I tried it). I ended up returning the board and bought the intel 915GUXL instead - works great with the ADD-2 card (1680x1050 no problem) and I also gained about 10 points in my XBench scores (same install, etc, new DDR2 memory).

Will the Intel 915GUXL plus the SIIG ADD-2 give me Quartz Extreme and Core ?

How does the board otherwise, in your opinion having used them both, compare to the AsRock.

Also, any reason why you went with the Intel 915GUXL board instead of the 915GLVG which has the 915GL chipset instead of the 915G?

Does the audio and LAN onboard work with the 915GUXL or 915GLVG boards?

I'll see about returning it.. and getting one of the Intel boards instead.

Apologies for the multiple posts but is this the video board you're talking about:

http://www.xpcgear.com/inteladd2pcie.html

?

IT does not show the 1680x1050 resolution :)

That is the board, however I ordered the HP version. They all use the same SIIG (not SGI like I said before) chipset. Basically it just routes the video from the onboard card through the DVI-D port. It works perfectly at 1680x1050 - Using the built-in D-Sub I was stuck at several presset resolutions, no 1680x1050. When I use the DVI-D connection, the flat-panel sends it's specs to the OS allowing for all the native resolutions, hell OSX even recognizes the monitor by name.

Don't worry about the resolution not being listed - it does work (at least on the HP card). Check the WIKI for the exact HP model number - I did a froogle search for it and found one for about $37. Quick and painless install, no drivers to mess with or anything.

That is the board, however I ordered the HP version. They all use the same SIIG (not SGI like I said before) chipset. Basically it just routes the video from the onboard card through the DVI-D port. It works perfectly at 1680x1050 - Using the built-in D-Sub I was stuck at several presset resolutions, no 1680x1050. When I use the DVI-D connection, the flat-panel sends it's specs to the OS allowing for all the native resolutions, hell OSX even recognizes the monitor by name.

Don't worry about the resolution not being listed - it does work (at least on the HP card). Check the WIKI for the exact HP model number - I did a froogle search for it and found one for about $37. Quick and painless install, no drivers to mess with or anything.

Thank you.

I ordered the Intel D915GAGL motherboard (915G chipset, DDR400 ram type, microatx) for $97 from newegg, and the HP DY674A ADD2 card from here:

http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product.asp?sku=..._r2910_yahoosmb

I'll get it next week - I'll let you know how it works.

Thank you. 

I ordered the Intel D915GAGL motherboard (915G chipset, DDR400 ram type, microatx) for $97 from newegg, and the HP DY674A ADD2 card from here:

http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product.asp?sku=..._r2910_yahoosmb

I'll get it next week - I'll let you know how it works.

At Boot prompt u can also Type "video?" (without Quotes) to let it show the supported Resolutions and Refresh rates as a List. Then choose one.

Bad news... I installed the Intel D915GAGL motherboard (the GAG is a 915G DDR-400 motherboard in the MicroATX form factor, otherwise, its identical to the ATX D915GAVL)

And the HP ADD2-N card.

And now my video is all messed up.

Before - it booted, it found many resolutions that it supported, and the Displays Preferences box showed the monitor "AL2032W" in the header, properly recognizing the Acer 2032W monitor.

Now, I hook up with DVI to the ADD2-N card (SIIG chipset) and boot the computer (I updated the Intel motherboard BIOS to 469 from 401) and it comes up in 1024x768 with no other choices (if I do a Graphics Mode=1600x1200@60 it works, but then it just lists that one res). It does not load the Intel915 kext, and it doesnt recognize the chipset.

The AsRock board I replaced did - found the 915G and Quartz Extreme/Core was ON.. now this Intel board isn't working at all..

I had to swap out the AsRock board because it didn't support PCIE x16 which the ADD2-N requires..

Any ideas??

Update - I replaced my AppleIntel915.kext and AppleIntelIntegrated.kext extensions with the originals from when I first installed the OS (i backed them up before tinkering) and now it recognizes the monitor again and shows all the resolutions. I'm connected with the ADD2-N's DVI port. Quartz Extreme and Core Image say Supported...

However... I do not see the 1680x1050 widescreen res there... It is not working even if I do a "Graphics Mode"="1680x1050@60"

Did you guys ever have the widescreen resolution show up on the displays preferences?

This is disappointing.. B)

*bump*

I'm having this same problem. I have the AsRock 775Dual-915GL motherboard (915GL/GMA900 video) and an Acer AL2032W 20.1" wide aspect lcd... I should be able to support WSXGA+ at 1680x1050, but I can't get it beyond 1600x1200.

I edited the AppleIntel915.kext and AppleIntelIntegrated.kext Info.plist files to change the 0x2582 to 2592, no dice, 2780, no dice. They work, mind, but they don't show any different resolutions in the list.

I realize that this is a relatively minor issue compared to what some have, but I'd be chuffed to have it go at 1680x1050 wide aspect.

Anyone get this to work?

Thanks!

My monitor is samsung SyncMaster 213T, 1600 by 1200 on PC natively. But on Mac it only goes up to 1280 by 1024 even though I set it up to 1600/1200. I use DVI.

Ang thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!

My monitor is samsung SyncMaster 213T, 1600 by 1200 on PC natively. But on Mac it oly goes up to 1280 by 1024 even though I set it up to 1600/1200.

Ang thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!

What do you have as far as graphics chipset/card?

Try booting it up by hitting enter when macos darwin is counting down and type:

"Graphics Mode"="1600x1200@60"

see if that works.

What do you have as far as graphics chipset/card?

Try booting it up by hitting enter when macos darwin is counting down and type:

"Graphics Mode"="1600x1200@60"

see if that works.

I did try set as it boots...same thing

Mine is NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 128M

liz0 - I think its because you have that video card that it isn't working. There are some posts in the forum about NVIDIA and ATI drivers being stubs - you'd have to remove the kexts relating to the NVIDIA card if there is any, and reboot and see if it then picks up your card as a VESA 3.0 compatible card.

Beyond that, I'm not sure - my own experience with Mac on Intel is with the 915G chipset

Good luck..

The kexts are in /System/Library/Extensions - see if your setup has any *NVIDIA* stuff

(don't just delete it if so, MOVE it to your home dir to back it up!!)

liz0 - I think its because you have that video card that it isn't working. There are some posts in the forum about NVIDIA and ATI drivers being stubs - you'd have to remove the kexts relating to the NVIDIA card if there is any, and reboot and see if it then picks up your card as a VESA 3.0 compatible card.

Beyond that, I'm not sure - my own experience with Mac on Intel is with the 915G chipset

Good luck..

The kexts are in /System/Library/Extensions - see if your setup has any *NVIDIA* stuff

(don't just delete it if so, MOVE it to your home dir to back it up!!)

Thank you forceten! Will try it today.

I changed my resolution in

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

by adding

<Key>Graphics Mode</Key>

<String>1280x1024x32@75</String>

on a normal Mac you get multiple entries so you can switch resolutions... anyone worked out how to do it here?

I tried adding a second line below and this is my current entry

<Key>Graphics Mode</Key>

<String>1280x1024x32@75</String>

<String>1024x768x32@75</String>

but it defaults to the first one

maybe its something like this but I dont want to risk it!

<Key>Graphics Mode</Key>

<String>1280x1024x32@75,1024x768x32@75</String>