Installed 10.5.5, now what?

inspiron2

6 posts in this topic

I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge of setting up Mac on my PC. I were trying to make it work for quite a while. Finally, Kalyway 10.5.2 made it happen on my P5K-VM. I then manually upgraded to 10.5.3, .4 and finally .5. Upgrading to 10.5.5 came with it's own challenges, but it was all fun.

I tried installing Leopard on my MSI K9N Neo, but gave up. The board is not supported. A not so good experience with my ASRock 775Dual-VSTA too. I gave up on that one too. But it's all good. It was fun trying to do it. Besides, what am I gonna do with all those Macs anyways...

I then moved to installing Leopard on the latest VMWare release under XP. It installed, but refused to run. I gave up. That's fine.

Now I am playing with VMWare and Parallels under Mac OS.

To make the long story short, I have gone through the thrills of doing the impossible, that is, installing Mac OS X on my PC. But now that all is said and done, I am staring at my Mac desktop and thinking, I HAVE GOT MAC, BUT NOW WHAT? WHAT CAN I DO WITH IT????

I don't want to start a Mac vs Windows debate. I know all about them, and what makes them tick. What I am wondering is that why would I use Mac over Windows for my day to day tasks? Most every major program is available on both platforms, and then there are millions more which are only available for Windows. Unless I am missing something.

I would love to hear from other users as to what they are using their Hackintoshes for? Please, please, no mac vs xp flame wars here.

thanks.

i moved to mac since i can't stand windows but its my thing.....whats yours????

I am not sure anymore as to what was my reason.

At first I thought that I will end up with another computer which will be able to do things that I can't do with XP (heck, I am hinting at mac vs xp war here). Another reason was tech challenge.

Tech challenge is gone, and I am just trying to find out if people do things on Mac that they couldn't on XP. I guess I am trying to justify the veeery long trouble I went through of getting the Mac.

In a way this is mac vs windows thing but you are right about one thing. You can do same thing on both operating systems. For me mac makes it alot easier and simple to accomplish what i need to do. I was with XP, Vista, different distros of linux. Nothing made me stay with those operating systems, i was switching back and forth. Technical challenge is gone as well, there are things i would like to improve on my mac and still trying fix them, nothin' major though small things here and there. But would i go back to windows full time.....hell no. If you are happy with windows than stay with windows, nobody is twisting your arm to switch.

I had the same problem! LOL I have a PowerBook as well, but it has basically passed on, then I remembered everything I was doing before I started the Hackitosh project, and now I am back to using Leo as my main OS and I am loving every moment of it. I rarely use Vista anymore, mainly just for a few games and for my fiance` when she needs a certain app that she likes better in winblows than Leo.

But I agree with you, 80% of the fun was the challenge of getting OSX working on my system. I've been playing around with it Since the first working install on AMD machines, and only recently have I upgraded to an Intel rig again which has only made things better. Now I can use the OS as intended instead of just trying to make it work. :)