Acer Ferrari 4005 WLMI, anyone?!

Mixed

10 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I have troubles with installing on a Acer Ferrari 4005 WLMI laptop. I got MacOSX_10.4.4DVDPATCHED_Myz.iso and burned it on a DVD.

If I try to boot from DVD, the installation hungs with a "Still waiting for root device". Looking around on the forum, I realised that there are troubles with ATI x200 controller. I know that there are some workarounds, but I don't know exactlly how to modify the DVD image to include the kext for x200.

So, I've tried to install it on a partition, trough VMWare. I managed that, but I want to boot natively. Trying to boot natively, it takes a very long time, I see a lot of errors and finally the system is extremely slow and unusable. No need to mention, that networking and wifi is not working.

So please, is there anyone who managed to install it on a Ferarri? I'm not a *nix expert so please, don't get too technical... :D

Thank you!

Please check the Wiki pages for the Ferrari 4000 model, you'll notice that it doesn't run at all on this machine.

This is for all version of OS X

FERRARI 4005 : As 10.4.3, Native install fails. Hangs on "still waiting for root device" workaround not yet apparent. Only work in VMware works (very slow)

I run OS X 10.4.5 with all its features (exept for the build in NIC) on my Acer Ferrari 3200 LMi.

@Andrasz:

I don't have Legacy USB in BIOS setup. I don't find this option, so I guess I can't disable Legacuy USB. Maybe the BIOS versions of Ferarri 4005 is different from the one of Acer Aspire...

@skyliner34:

I'm not giving up yet... just not yet. I think I might not have explored all the possibilities... :)

@Suser:

Yeah, I know what is written on the Wiki page, but... let me just not to trust that entirely :(

Anyway, I'm not trying with 10.4.3, I'm trying with 10.4.5... maybe there is a difference. Also, that hanging on "...root device" showed up to me only when I tried to install OSX booting from the DVD.

But, as I've said, I made a partition for OSX, and installed it trough VMware on that partition. So it works, but I want to use it nativelly. When I boot it natively from that partition, I don't get the "root device" hanging anymore, but it's booting very slow, with a lot of errors and warnings that I don't get bothered to capture, there are sooo many... :blink: And when it finaly starts, is terribly slow and I can't use it.

I will give another shot with other iso I am downloading now.. maybe I'll get lucky :)

So... I am open to other crazy, new, and brilliant ideeas! :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to the forums.

I have an Acer Ferrari 4006WLMi, and I am going to try it tonight. I will make sure to give you explicit instructions if I get it working tonight (I have a pretty good idea on how to do it, based on my research thus far)

I am going to be using the Jas 10.4.6 DVD though, so be sure to get that in case I can get it working :thumbsup_anim:

See you on the other side!