Best way to transfer LEO install from HD to HD?

accorkie

9 posts in this topic

Have Leo installed on a IDE harddrive but wanting to switch to a SATA drive. Havn't backed up or transferred an install before and seeing the best/easiest option to transfer. or if there is a guide that'd be awesome. thanks in advance.

FYI i have 10.5.1

LP

Boot up to your Favorite OS X installation disk open disk utility go to restore, drag and drop Volume to copy onto source drag and drop Volume you want to copy to onto Destination check erase destination. Click on to restore and your done. Make sure you don't interrupt the process or you might have problems. I do this all the time from internal hard drive to USB or the other way around. Remember you will lose all data on destination drive.

when i drag my current osx volume to the new sata volume does my original osx volume remain as it is and nothing happens to it? and for the new sata drive, do i have to format it somehow before dropping my current osx onto it? or do i just plug and good to go?

thanks for the info

I second what charlyc said above, it worked every time.

While you are at the Disk utility, partition your new SATA drive before you restore to it.

I have also tried to restore a new hard drive, using an external USB enclosure, use Disk utility while LEO was running. I had to reload the EFI boot loader before the new drive can boot. IF I use the installation disk to do the restore instead, the new disk would boot up OK. No need to reinstall the boot loader.

• 2 weeks later...

If you use CCC and Chameleon...

Boot from your current OS installation, Format the drive in Disk Utilities, Run Chameleon and install it on THAT drive, Carbon Copy Clone your existing Drive to it without the option of formatting the drive again, reboot, choose the NEW drive from your BIOS bootselection or swap the cables. the first time it will be a tad slower as it will immediately start indexing the new drive!

Don't continue working on the machine while you're CCC'ng let it finish on its own time!

SticMAN

ps this is also a good way of keeping a working backup of your existing drive especially if you are experimenting!

i have a question on this as I will be doing just that either tonight, or tomorow. I installed Leo4All on an externaly USB attached drive. All is working good.

I will get my new 250Gb sata drive tonight, so i Already have CCC installed on the USB drive. So i read here that you need to re-install the chameleon boot loader. Can someone point me to a doc of somekind on how to re-install the boat looder?

Can I also use refit as a bootloader instead of chameleon? Actualy, come to think of it, I think the bootloader on 10.5.4 AMD of Leo4All is actualy Darwin, isnt' it?

Thanks for your feedback.