Cannot Completely Detect NTFS Drive

PRGUY85

5 posts in this topic

Hey:

I've got Mac 10.5.5 running great on my PC. However, there is just one issue. I've got two hard drives, one for OS'es and the other for my media. This second one is formatted as NTFS after noticing FAT32 partitions had limitations when writing big files (5+GB) into them. Right now, Leopard recognizes the NTFS partition and loads it up at startup and on the desktop. However, the system does not completely recognize the entire drive. For example, there are some files and folders that are present but are displayed as having Zero KB of size and are posted with their Title and the word Alias underneath them when seen on Cover Flow.

I tried to access this drive through a live Ubuntu CD and the files were recognized and present. Again, Mac OSX shows the files but displays them as being empty and just aliases. I tried installing the newest NTFS-3G+MacFUSE after having installed this with iatkos v4i in the first place. I also performed ntfsfix on Ubuntu for the drive.

Any ideas?

I also performed ntfsfix on Ubuntu for the drive.

You mean you had Ubuntu flag the partition dirty then you booted into Windows and it checked and repaired it, right?

ntfsfix can NOT actually repair anything, yet -> those tools are still in development. It can only make it so Windows does it on the next boot.

http://www.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php?id=ntfsprogs

As for perhaps having shutdown Windows the wrong way, it might have happened. The thing is I deleted my Windows partition (accident) when installing Leopard so I cannot go back to shutting it down properly....unless I reinstall Windows just for this purpose.

You mean you had Ubuntu flag the partition dirty then you booted into Windows and it checked and repaired it, right?

ntfsfix can NOT actually repair anything, yet -> those tools are still in development. It can only make it so Windows does it on the next boot.

http://www.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php?id=ntfsprogs

So you recommend installing Windows again?

I should add that I tried downloading 500MB+ files through Transmission directly to this NTFS drive and always got I/O Errors.

• 1 year later...