[SOLVED] Terrible performance - Kalway 10.5.2 on MSI K8N & AMD64

justfred

11 posts in this topic

I have Kalway running on an AMD64 3200 with MSI K9N NEO2 3200. The graphics card is an NVIDIA 6600GT and the PC has 2Gb memory. I'm using a PS/2 mouse and keyboard. The network connection works but everything seems to be running at 25% of its normal speed. It takes almost a second for the UI to register that I've moved the mouse over a menu bar and it takes 5s to register that I've clicked a button.

It looks like the NVIDIA card is using PCI according to OSX - how do I configure it to use AGP instead?

Has anyone experienced this or can anyone suggest what I might need to do to fix it? Thanks

No idea what lawless ppc is - can't find mention of it on these forums.

It's weird - my nvidia is detected as PCI and after installation and performance is acceptable. The hard disk seems to be slow but acceptable. But once I reboot it takes several seconds to detect that I've clicked a button. If I run top in the console, top itself consumes 45% CPU! Weird!

I'm going to see if there's a kernel extension loaded during installation that isn't loaded after a reboot. Sounds odd but I'm getting desparate. I might try another DVD but I can't face downloading 1Gb+ plus again. :)

No idea what lawless ppc is - can't find mention of it on these forums.

It's weird - my nvidia is detected as PCI and after installation and performance is acceptable. The hard disk seems to be slow but acceptable. But once I reboot it takes several seconds to detect that I've clicked a button. If I run top in the console, top itself consumes 45% CPU! Weird!

I'm going to see if there's a kernel extension loaded during installation that isn't loaded after a reboot. Sounds odd but I'm getting desparate. I might try another DVD but I can't face downloading 1Gb+ plus again. :)

Not having your hardware, I can only suggest three things:

1) Get OSX86Tools, and use the Download and Install Hardware Drivers function. If you are missing any or there are better ones, it should help. As a rule, always run Repair Permissions before restarting, so Cancel its restart request and Repair first.

2) Get the kernel Voodoo 9.5.0 which is far better for AMD hackintoshes. You can install it via OSX86Tools too BTW.

3) If none of the above helps, try to get the latest iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5 install. I found it improved a number of things here over the older Kalyway 10.5.2. If you go this last way, my tip is to be certain you only select the hardware drivers that apply to you. Selecting ones that don't may cause undesirable issues.

Thanks! Unfortunately I installed a different kernel through osx86tools and now my PC reboots during startup. I've not configured grub yet so I have the DVD drive but I can't boot into osx. So I'm stuck with trying a new DVD or reinstalling Kalway, which takes 4+ hours. :)

Thanks for the info - very handy.

MSI K8N NEO2

AMD64 Athlon 3200+

2Gb

GeForce 6600GT

Seagate 200Gb SATA

Another quick question. If I restart my PC and enter single user mode (-s), it boots the single user mode from the DVD instead of from the hard disk. Is there any way to specify it boot from the HDD instead?

Worked out I can boot off the partition using: rd=disk0s5. Which is the default kernel installed by Kalway 10.5.2? Every kernel I try just crashes the machine or makes it reboot.

So I'm stuck with trying a new DVD or reinstalling Kalway, which takes 4+ hours. :P

Over 4 hours??? Woah..... I know my system is a lot faster (3.6GHz Core 2 Duo with some Ram), but still the difference seems surprising. Skipping the configuration process, install time takes maybe 15 mins. Are you allowing that unnecessary Disk verification too, or do the 4 hours include pressing Skip?

Worked out I can boot off the partition using: rd=disk0s5. Which is the default kernel installed by Kalway 10.5.2? Every kernel I try just crashes the machine or makes it reboot.

I don't honestly know. You could load the Kalyway disk and when you come to the customization part, see what its defaults are.

I installed one MSI K8N NEO4 series with AMD X2 3200, 4g ram, Gforce 8500gt 51, old 50G IDE HD last week. Using Ideneb 10.5.5, no problems. It took less then 45 minutes from start to finish. Xbench score 95 no disk test. Not too bad.

Over 4 hours??? Something is not right. Bad hard drive? Bad disk ??

I always skip the disk verification. I'm pretty sure the hard disk is fine - not had any issues with it. I plugged in an old 20Gb ATA drive last night and left it installing over night. Maybe there's just an issue with the NEO2 motherboard and not the NEO4? I may even have an old Promise IDE controller - if I can install that and connect it to the ATA drive I might be able to improve things somewhat.

Another weird thing I noticed - when I'm in the customisation menu choosing options, when I select or deselect an option it takes anywhere up to 10s before the installer registers the change. Normal or oddly slow?? :)

What's so confusing is that, though the installation is very slow, once it's installed it runs very nicely until after I reboot. So something is different during the installation and after the reboot but I don't know what.

I just thought of something. Ok I install osx to my hard disk. The installation finishes and osx works well. I reboot, but I haven't configured grub, so I have to leave the dvd in my drive. At which point maybe osx is booting from the dvd and not the hard disk? So it's not loading all the right drivers? Does that sound possible?

• 1 month later...

Solved! Turns out it was a USB issue. I disabled "USB KB/Storage Support" and it works! I had previous disabled "USB Mouse Support" but not "USB KB/Storage Support" because I thought I needed to leave it enabled to access USB storage devices. But as soon as I disabled usb kb/storage support in the bios and re-installed, Kalyway 10.5.2 runs at normal speed. The only problem now is that USB support doesn't seem to work though it's a known issue with Kalyway.