Kalway 10.5.2 + Asus P5HW deluxe Only Working -x Safe Boot

Straylux

1 post in this topic

Pheeeeew...!! Ive finally managed to get my first Hackingtosh running using Kalway's 10.5.2..., but only if I boot using the -x safe boot mode. Here are my specs

OSX86 Kalway 10.5.2 running through:-

Asus P5HW-deluxe

OC'd Intel Dual Core E2140 1.6gb @2.67gb + 2gb DDR2 800

XFX Nvidia Geforce 7300GT 512mb

Seagate Barracuda 250gb SATA hdd

[Yeah, yeah, I'm yet another one who saw the "build a Mac for less that $800" article & followed the list thinking it was gonna be easy as pie...Oh what a surprise did I get!! Anyway, it's been fun, & I have learned a hell of a lot about hardware so far, & more to come no doubt].

So far almost everything seems to be working out of the box. Sleep is 100%, Ethernet 100% as is Firewire, PS2 is all good....Reboots without the Kalway DVD present, so long as I select -x

But, [always a few eh]......here's the glitches.

About This Mac is reporting my CPU incorrectly, saying

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.67 GHz

Number Of Processors: 0

Total Number Of Cores: 1

Likewise there's a problem with the XFX 7300 GT 512mb. It seems that the XFX cards need their BIOS reflashing with hacked ROM before OSX will recognise them properly. Thats not something I relish doing since supposedly messing it up leads to a hunk of junk for a graphics card. Seeing that Darwin was picking up my card as 256mb I chose the Nvinject 256mb during the Kalway install. Would it have made any difference to have selected the Nvinject 512mb, or is it likely I wouldn't even be getting this -x boot? Should I replace it with the 512mb, or is there no option but to reflash the card.

Secondly, the system is silent. ATM says "no internal sound devices installed" . What can I do to fix this?

This is a real noob one, so I apologise in advance. Whats the score with using the Apple Software Updates? Can you use them or does it fry the install?

Finally, a massive thankyou to everyone who has contributed the work to the whole OSX86 scene. I'm a big Mac lover, & as a graphic designer I totally fell in love with the new 24" iMac -but they are so out of my price reach right now that a Hackingtosh has really made it for me. No more waiting 30 mins for a steam drive PowerPC G4 to chug its way through making a Live Paint group in Adobe Illustrator!!