Upgrading iATKOS v1i to 10.5.4 Via Apple Software Update

Vincible

5 posts in this topic

Is it possible to upgrade iATkOS to the latest OS version via the Apple Software Update? I read on one article that it could be at school, but I think they are talking about the other updates pertaining to iTunes, and Quicktime, not the actual OS update. Every time I download the 10.5.5 update, and try to install it, my CPU is stopped by Leopard (this is all done in VMWare), and it crashes. I go to reboot my vm, and my OS stalls... Obviously it's due to faulty installation to where it must be re-installed from scratch. Still, I am just wondering if there is any way to upgrade? I downloaded iATKOS v4i, and it would take forever to do any sort of action on the installation disk. Once it would get to the installation phase, it would take literally hours to go through. I left it sit for 6 hours, and it was only 75% through. Could this be due to a bad disk burn? I re-burnt twice, so it does not seem so...

EDIT: I found a way to upgrade to higher versions over at OSx86, but it gives me a kernel stack error when I reboot after the upgrade. I renamed the kernel extension to dsmos.kext like I should have and removed the power management kext as well with the script. I downloaded the updates from the apple site, not the software update so that I could do the following steps. There was mention that I needed to back up my applesmbios/applehda/etc, but I'm not sure what to do there. Also, the guide states that my computer should go to a completely black screen, and install the update from there, then go to the Darwin bootloader. It never does this. It goes straight to the Darwin bootloader, and when I start the booting process, I get this error from VMWare:

*** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) ***

The virtual machine just suffered a stack fault in kernel mode. On a real computer, this would amount to a reset of the processor. It can be caused by an incorrect configuration of the virtual machine, a bug in the operating system, or a problem in the VMware Workstation software. Press OK to reboot virtual machine or Cancel to shut it down.

I never got that before ever when I ran my virtual machine until after I upgraded my OS. After a little more searching, I found that my client OS should be Windows NT, so I went to the settings tab and changed it. Still, no luck. I am running off of an HP Pavilion dv9000 laptop with an Intel Core 2 Centrino processor, so this should all work, right?

• 1 month later...