Why do hackintoshs have such a bad battery life?

xghost

6 posts in this topic

Because either way the battery is still having to do the same things. In a MAC it's a totally different battery, and is running actual MAC equipment. The only way to get longer battery is to get a different battery, or get an actual MAC.

Are you entirely sure you have full power management. ie the ability to turn off individual pieces of hardware (network card, etc) when not in use. Also do you have speedstep working? that is probably the biggest issue for most. I see you have integrated graphics but for people with discrete graphics the inability to underclock the cards (ati powerplay etc) can also cause large battery drain.

@Rich_Wit_It: many laptops have higher capacity batteries than say a macbook. Also, the hardware difference is negligible. The only difference is how well osx is able to control all the different power management features of the computer.

Are you entirely sure you have full power management. ie the ability to turn off individual pieces of hardware (network card, etc) when not in use. Also do you have speedstep working? that is probably the biggest issue for most. I see you have integrated graphics but for people with discrete graphics the inability to underclock the cards (ati powerplay etc) can also cause large battery drain.

@Rich_Wit_It: many laptops have higher capacity batteries than say a macbook. Also, the hardware difference is negligible. The only difference is how well osx is able to control all the different power management features of the computer.

Well I took a stab at it. I don't get how hardware doesn't play a role though because my friends MacMini runs 5 hours with nothing turned off and everything running.

Well I didn't know that OSX was able to put seperate devices to sleep, if they're inactive. I seem to have that powermanagement working what most people have. Pictures are attached.

I don't know but my battery lasts in OSX about maybe 1 hour while surfing the internet and listening to some music. In windows vista its easily double the time.

I mean my hardware is not that different from mac hardware. Is it possible that a diffrence from 1 hour and up is caused only by non sleeping network cards and stuff? That sounds a bit strange...

Oh and Speedstep is working with that IntelCPUManagement.kext but I never tried it more than briefly, because it annoys me that speedstep isn't working, when the programs you need to control it with arent running. And windows isnt using speedstep as well, is it?

Pics of Powermanagement:

http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/8da9...B/img%5D%5B/url

http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/8da9...B/img%5D%5B/url