ASUS WL-160N 802.11n USB 2.0 Wireless

newsman1

7 posts in this topic

Hi, first, I will start with my spec; I have a Toshiba Satellite A205-S5831. This is the spec link.

http://explore.toshiba.com/laptops/satellite/A200/A205-S5831

and I have a tri boot on this laptop, Vista + kalyway 10.5.2 OS X + ubuntu 8.04

the built in wireless card is the Atheros. Ar5007eg, it works with vista and ubuntu but it did not work for Mac.

Therefore, after days of searching and reading I found the ASUS WL-160N 802.11n USB 2.0 Wireless that it should work for MAC.

I got the usb device and I got the proper drivers from RALINK WEBSITE, http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.html

And this is my problem, when I install the drivers at the end of the installation it ask me to reboot, so I did that and after reboot I plug the USB device in and nothing happen.

But I found out that when the installation process is done and it ask me to reboot, this time I did not reboot and I plugged the USB in and it worked right a way, so I closed the reboot window and I start surfing the net no problem.

But after I reboot the same problem again nothing happen and Mac does not recognizes the USB device, and to make it work I have uninstall the drivers first and then install drivers again and close the reboot window and plug the USB device in and it works no problem. This is my problem I have to do uninstall and install on every time I restart Mac OS X. can any one help me with this problem please it will be nice if there is a way to have the ASUS WL-160N 802.11n USB 2.0 Wireless working all the time.

Thanks,

any body have any idea how to fix this problem.

thanks,

If you know which exactly kext your card do use, you may try to manually load it after a restart and see if this fix the issue.

Alternatively, you may also try to boot once with -f so new caches are generated with your new hardware -- remember to let it plugged for better results.

thanks Alex HQuest for the reply. i did try to reboot with -f and it did work right a way no problem but the next i reboot normaly it will not work, but it wroks if i reboot with -f.

and can you please help me out with this, how can i find kext my card use and how i can load it manually.

thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem as newsman1, so if anyone knows how to make a kext auto-start I think we both would be most grateful! :)