Dell XPS 420 with integrated Sigmatel 9227 Audio Works

OB4Ever

2 posts in this topic

For you 4 people with the same system that I have there is some hope for you in getting sound out of your box. After about 72 hours worth of scouring the www and 2 cases of Coors I pieced together a solution that might work for you as well. Here it goes:

Dual boot install of Kalyway 10.5.2 distro

Copied the AppleHDA.kext from my Powerbook running 10.5.5

Installed the kext using the app "Kext Helper b7" which came on the Kalyway distro (using the installer instead of directly copying into Extensions might not have mattered but better safe than sorry)

Rebooted into Knoppix, then ran command to produce sound card dump from terminal

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 > ~/dump.txt

Reboot into Leo and did the following in sequence:

1. Ran Taruba's AppleHDAPatcher_v1.20 inserting my Linux dump

2. Ran Taruba's AppleHDAPatcher_v1.12 inserting my Linux dump (there was a noticeable increase in the time it took to verify/repair permissions in the 1.12 version, maybe a problem in the app?)

3. rebooted and heard glorious sound for the first time on my Dell since installing OS X. However....

While searching the forums I stumbled accross this from a pair who had success in the same way which made me try their technique but when they rebooted their sound was gone. The same happened to me so this is what I did:

Without restoring the AppleHDA.kext I repeated the process of patching with v 1.20 then v 1.12. Sound was back again without needing a reboot. Then I ran verify and repair permissions from the disk utility app manually. After rebooting several times to test it out the sound is still working.

I hope this description will save someone else the time and frustration of installing OS X on their Dell. Good luck.

• 6 months later...