UK to Spend £12 Billion for Real-time Snoop System

bofors

8 posts in this topic

UK to Spend £12 Billion for Real-time Snoop System

RIA Novosti

October 5, 2008

The U.K. authorities are considering spending up to 12 billion pounds ($21 billion) on a database to keep information on Internet intercepts, e-mail and telephone records of everyone in Britain, The Sunday Times reported.

U.K. officials say live monitoring is necessary to fight terrorism and crime. However, critics have doubts about whether such a vast system can be kept secure, the paper said.

The British security service MI5 currently conducts limited e-mail and website intercepts only under warrants from the home secretary, the paper said.

According to The Sunday Times, the government’s eavesdropping center, GCHQ, has already been allocated 1 billion British pounds ($21 billion) to finance the first stage of the project.

Hundreds of secret probes are believed to be installed on two of the country’s biggest Internet and mobile phone providers - BT and Vodafone - to monitor customers live, the paper said.

According to The Sunday Times, no formal decision had yet been taken but sources said that officials had agreed in principle to the program.

“Any suggestion of the government using existing powers to intercept communications data without public discussion is going to sound extremely sinister,” the paper quoted Dominic Grieve, the shadow home secretary, as saying.

http://www.infowars.com/?p=5089

One of the many reasons I moved from Blighty to Ireland..it won't be introduced here for another 50 years at least :thumbsup_anim:

Ain't that the truth. Took long enough to get broadband introduced.

You'd think they could spend this money on something more positive like UPGRADING THE DAMN INFRASTRUCTURE.

Ain't that the truth. Took long enough to get broadband introduced.

You'd think they could spend this money on something more positive like UPGRADING THE DAMN INFRASTRUCTURE.

Don't even get me started on Broadband !!!

Phoned Eircom 1 year before moving over to see when my local exchange would be DSL enabled.....got "some time next year", moved over...waited a year and phoned again...got the same response...and have done for the past 3 years.

Thankfully a local company has set up a wireless link, just under a meg but better than nothing

/end rant

According to The Sunday Times, the government’s eavesdropping center, GCHQ, has already been allocated 1 billion British pounds ($21 billion) to finance the first stage of the project.

£1bn = $21bn? Great, book me a flight to JFK, Christmas has come early!!!!!