SSE2 emu for SSE-only cpus?

PhantOS

10 posts in this topic

hi, great work on Voodoo so far :(

I've always wished for a full SSE2 emulation layer, to be able to run the kernel on old Athlon/P3 machines. Performance would obviously suffer, but still, it would be so much better than the current QEMU based solutions. Do you think it's possible/makes sense?

Thanks!

It's going to be insanely difficult to write an SSE2 emulator over SSE. If I remember correctly, SSE doesn't even have the 128 bit registers from sse2+, so I'm not sure if it's even possible without some crazy ass hacking.

Well nothing is totally impossible but it's kinda stupid to attempt to make it work IMHO :P

lol the sse cpu's would run osx so slow, let alone with having to emulate two different types of cpu command sets and translate.... :P

it would be a waste of time. qemu is the best option if you still have sse, ether that or drop like $200 on a cheep computer thats got sse3

trust me, computer hardware has dropped price so much.

• 1 month later...
Google for SSEPlus btw. It's by AMD.
Ha, wow. I think they pulled it out of framewave (AKA: the AMD Performance Library). I remember while I was working there the devs had to write a bunch of SSE3->SSE2 code to make the library work on Opterons. That's a blast from the past, man. Cool to see they released it as freeware.

• 3 months later...