Kalyway 10.5.2 update failure

17 posts in this topic

Can someone please tell me how I can update my Kalyway Leopard 10.5.2 MAC OS X. The last time I tried to update, it download, but somewhere after 10% it said I needed to restart my computer and hold down the power button etc... So I did... Then after the gray screen with the apple is done, it will go straight back to that message. So can someone please tell me how to update my system.

You need to use the Kalyway 10.5.3 update package and follow the instructions. From there, you can auto update to 10.5.4. But if you want to update to 10.5.5, you need to follow the instructions to update to 10.5.5 - auto update will not work. But for me, I tried everything to get 10.5.5 to work and it wouldn't. If you want 10.5.5, I suggest getting the iDeneb 10.5.5 updater.

You need to use the Kalyway 10.5.3 update package and follow the instructions. From there, you can auto update to 10.5.4. But if you want to update to 10.5.5, you need to follow the instructions to update to 10.5.5 - auto update will not work. But for me, I tried everything to get 10.5.5 to work and it wouldn't. If you want 10.5.5, I suggest getting the iDeneb 10.5.5 updater.

Well first off, is there any difference on 10.5.5 than 10.5.2?? Do I need to update? Like is anything better on 10.5.5? Also, I have a problem where if I plug in a USB device, it won't become active unless I restart MAC OS X. What could be the problem with that?

Also, is auto update the Software Update thing from the Apple Menu?

Go to the link in my signiture to update. I went straight from 10.5.2 to 10.5.5 as easily as just doing it through update. Follow what it says to a T though, the author won't be happy if you have a problem and didn't follow what he says. Hope it works for you.

Rich Wit It has the right link there, I bricked my OS nine times trying a few different ways through September, lost LAN drivers mostly despite doing all I could to back them up, lost video I couple of times, cannot get into Time Machine backup from the Kaly 10.5.2 disk; when Time Machine worked anyhow.

I gave it a months intermission and then hit up Mysticus C's new revision of his walkthrough; at the time for 10.5.5 ... bingo, everything works!

While you guys are having more specific problems, I would try backing up data elsewhere, and hopefully have the space on the HDD for a Test OS (BupOSx86) and Main OS (MacOSx86) partition, as per Mysticus's suggestions; they are easy to effect and save an awful lot of time if you manage to brick it on the first attempt, image the main OS back over your Test and try a couple of different tick boxes in his PostInstall.pkg.

If you've not got a second partition, but have spare space on the main OS partition (my OS part is 100GB but there is only 30GB of data on it) ... As long as you have a bit of faith, boot onto the Kalyway DVD and open up Disk Utility, Point at the Main OS partition and, go to the Partition Tab, select the Main Partition and hit the "+" icon in the lower left to split the partition in two. it *should* move all the data for you to the front disk and create a new one in the rear half of what was once a single partition... then you can mirror the main drive to the backup there in Disk Utility while your Main OS is offline. Well I didn't have to split the Main OS drive, I did have an empty second partition on my drive which I split into two pieces so that I could have a third piece for files away from the two OSs. Welcome peer moderation before people try it, but that's what I understand of the Apple Disk Utility.

What ktext do u replace and how do you do it?

I used the attached kext using OSX86 tools to install it and restarted. When I did my mouse and keyboard were back.

Rich Wit It has the right link there, I bricked my OS nine times trying a few different ways through September, lost LAN drivers mostly despite doing all I could to back them up, lost video I couple of times, cannot get into Time Machine backup from the Kaly 10.5.2 disk; when Time Machine worked anyhow.

I gave it a months intermission and then hit up Mysticus C's new revision of his walkthrough; at the time for 10.5.5 ... bingo, everything works!

While you guys are having more specific problems, I would try backing up data elsewhere, and hopefully have the space on the HDD for a Test OS (BupOSx86) and Main OS (MacOSx86) partition, as per Mysticus's suggestions; they are easy to effect and save an awful lot of time if you manage to brick it on the first attempt, image the main OS back over your Test and try a couple of different tick boxes in his PostInstall.pkg.

If you've not got a second partition, but have spare space on the main OS partition (my OS part is 100GB but there is only 30GB of data on it) ... As long as you have a bit of faith, boot onto the Kalyway DVD and open up Disk Utility, Point at the Main OS partition and, go to the Partition Tab, select the Main Partition and hit the "+" icon in the lower left to split the partition in two. it *should* move all the data for you to the front disk and create a new one in the rear half of what was once a single partition... then you can mirror the main drive to the backup there in Disk Utility while your Main OS is offline. Well I didn't have to split the Main OS drive, I did have an empty second partition on my drive which I split into two pieces so that I could have a third piece for files away from the two OSs. Welcome peer moderation before people try it, but that's what I understand of the Apple Disk Utility.

Yeah it is a little hypocritical of me to tell someone off for not following the guide to a T, as I never made a clone. But I have an external 1 TB drive that is my Time Machine backup. It didn't work the one time due to picking some of the additional options so I just restored. The only problem I had at all was the mouse archiving, which I fixed by using Pacifist to re-install the video driver from Leo4Allv3. And also as I said the mouse and keyboard deal. It sucked with no keyboard because I didn't have OSX tools on my new install so I had to send it to myself but I installed the old kext and I now am a proud runner of 10.5.5 lol.

appleps2orig.rar