SATA Optiarc AD-7200S DL DVD-RW crashes when disc inserted?

9 posts in this topic

I recently upgraded my Hackintosh machine with a new DL-DVD writer. The Optiarc AD-7200S. It's connected via SATA and already displays within disk utility. Here is the information in case it is useful:

Name : Optiarc DVD RW AD-7200S

Type : Optical Device

Disk Identifier : Optiarc DVD RW AD-7200S

Connection Bus : ATAPI

Connection Type : Internal

Burn Support : Unsupported

Writes CD : Yes

Writes DVD : Yes

Media is present : No

Capabilities : Click for more information

I've found that it opens and closes fine, but when I insert a disk to see if I can run some sort of content, my machine freezes (the mouse is still able to move, but nothing beyond that).

I'm also concerned with the "burn support: unsupported" under the information I just pasted, and whether or not I can correct that.

I looked around for a while, so hopefully this is the right forum, and somebody will know of a driver or options I can modify my current setup with in order to fix this.

Oh and, it may be useful to know that upon googling "os86x AD-7200S" / "hackintosh AD-7200S", I found that other people had already supposedly used this drive within their own builds, without any problem. Meaning this drive should work in my setup also...?

I have one that works great with XP and Linux. Haven't tested it with OSX. What's the SATA setting in the BIOS? AHCI or IDE (sometimes called "compatibility mode")? It should work OK on OSX in IDE/compatibility mode but ideally you want to run it in AHCI mode. Depends on the OS device driver.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have Optiarc DVD RW AD-7200S, found no problem reading and writing DVD/CD. But after a certain time of inactivity of the device, it goes unresponsive (idle) - can't eject the DVD/CD. Eventually, I have to press restart button to restart the system/eject. I think its an issue with power management of the device. I updated the firmware from 1.05 to 1.09.. but not tested it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have the 7201S and experience exactly the same thing. I've tried flashing to the very latest firmware.

The drive locks up after a period of inactivity if a disk is left in there. I'm pretty certain it's a power management issue as there are associated errors in the system log (sudo dmesg).

• Like 1

• 11 months later...