Interesting issue (no KP logs, making the problem hard to debug)

Dxn

5 posts in this topic

My system is remarkably stable. Everything is working as it should, including torrent downloads, time machine, etc. However, there is one piece of software that always gives me a kernel panic: The World of Warcraft downloader. I've been trying to download the installer for weeks now, but every time the download gets up around 1.5Gb, I get a kernel panic.

There are no messages in the system.log, there is no panic.log file created. I'm completely at a loss on this one. Does anyone have any idea why this particular download would cause consistent kernel panics.

Also, does anyone know why, when I get a KP, there is never a log created?

Yes it is interesting!!!

What would be more interesting is if you could change your topic heading to display what your problem is!!

(this way those of us that don't give a FF if your WOW works don't have to waste time to open this "stoopid post"

SticMAN

Wow, good to know there's such a polite and supportive community here. I bet you won the Miss Congeniality award at your Junior prom.

At any rate, aside from the fact that it's a game that's causing the issue, I think I have a valid question about why one program would behave this way and why my kernel panics are not being properly recorded.

Well, I was able to resolve the warcraft issue by downloading in windows, burning to DVD, then booting into safemode to install (it would KP while installing in normal mode).

However, once it was installed, it runs fine in normal mode.

I'm still not getting any panic.log file during kp's though

There is nothing wrong with your system. Hackintoshes don't have KP logs (panic.log) because the system is frozen when it panics and it takes too long for an OS to write to a file in the harddrive.

On real macs, KP log is saved in the NVRAM, and in the next boot it is written to a log file, this is not supported by hackintoshes.