Installing 10.5.2 kalyway on Lenovo X200

loserpro2

23 posts in this topic

Update progress

Sept 30th - post created

Oct 1st - double checked for unworking functions, eg: graphics, bluetooth..

7/11/2008 - managed to get kext for internet to work, refer below to the end of this post.

1/12/08 - bluetooth out of the blue worked.

The story

hi all. erm, i have to say, i am a noob at installing osx86 and if there are any missing parts, please do inform and i'll try to help as much as i could. but cause the lenovo is a new machine, there might have been some stuff i have missed out so, please excuse me for that!

i will edit the post as time goes so that it will be as most helpful as possible.

stuff you need:

Kalyway OS X Leopard CD - i used 10.5.2, cause i've been a bit lazy and did not go round to find newer versions.

Lenovo ThinkPad X200 Laptop

CD Rom Drive - i used my desktop CD/DVD Rom drive which i converted to usb

Tool CDs for partitioning like GParted, Hiren's Boot CD

Ghost Image of Harddisk Partions or recover and Install Disks

Install Procedure:

- Start up computer and go into Windows. should be Vista Home Premium SP1 (or Vista Business) for X200 models.

- if you haven't done this, make a ghost image or recovery disk from the software provided.

in my case, i didn't make one in the first time, and there had been an install glitch of windows on my computer which made me unable to go back into windows after being unable to partition my harddisk. i had to take the machine to the service center to reinstall vista at the end.

- proceed to partition the hard disk.

this can be done by using "shrink volume" in vista's Computer management or using Tools like Partitonmagic, Acronis something (sorry forgot the name) on Hiren's boot cd or GParted. i used "shrink volume". also, please do not forget to somehow format it to NTFS or something just tempoairly as the mac install disk was unable to dectect the unallocated partition on my laptop for some reason.

- once assured that the partitioning and ghost images are done, reset the computer and boot with CD.

for lenovo X200, the access buttons are:

---- F1, entering the bios

---- F11, Recovery Mode - ThinkVantage Rescue and Recover to be exact

---- F12, which loads the boot menu and you will be able to select boot from CD or other bootable devices here. please note, if you don't happen to see the CD-Rom on the first time, press RIGHT Ctrl + RIGHT Alt + Del to reboot computer. you should be able to see it on the second time.

---- Thinkvantage button, can't remember for now.

- Load Up the Kalyway CD and proceed with installation.

- Once finished installing, you can try to enter the OS X partition. i got lucky and i don't know how they/I did it, but i got in. BUT, if you couldn't go in, then don't worry, go back into vista first. if you are unable to go back into vista, use GParted to set the partition SERVICEV003 as the boot up drive. don't select the SW_Preload or Lenovo Drive cause they don't work. if using Gparted doesn't work, use the vista install disk, select repair my computer or similar and do automatic recovery mode where you should be able to go straight back into vista.

- Back in vista, use EasyBCD to setup the boot selection screen, or for a noob like me, follow these instructions: (be sure to run command prompt/cmd as administrator!)

credits to the fool-proof vista / XP and OS X dual boot guide

bcdedit /copy {current} /d "Mac OS X"

Copies information from Vista to use as basis for Mac OS X Boot Loader

bcdedit /enum active

Enumerates the selectable OS' from Vista's Boot Loader

bcdedit /set {YOUR-GUID-HERE} PATH \chain0

Replace {YOUR-GUID-HERE} with the ID that is listed for Mac OS X under the enumerated list

- Restart Vista and you should come up with the Vista boot selection page where you can go to vista, or go to Mac OS X. you should be able to boot sucessfully into Mac OS X.

IMPORTANT REMARKS:

video chip - due to the X200 Running on the new intel X4500 graphics chip/chipset, there wasn't support on the 10.5.2 CD for this chipset and i went ahead with the X3100 driver, which let me stuck at 1024x768 resolution. if someone has the driver, please do post the link and possibly instructions as well!

everything seems fine at the moment. will check if there are any problems over the next few days.

Edits: (1/10/08) wifi and ethernet port not working. reinstalling with other drivers to see if it will work.

7/11/2008 - managed to get ethernet port working by using Intel82566MM.kext made by dingguijin. you can access his post here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=128931

when installing this driver, if you ended up being a bit noobish like me ({censored}), remember to set a password - hard or easy is up to you - when using kext installer b7 otherwise it will somehow be unable to install it or maybe install it correctly for you.

my apple update also advised me to update to 10.5.5, however i choose not to do that yet as i wanted to sort out all the quirks before moving on to updated versions of leopard.

thanks for looking! :D:):P

Hi, I just used iATKOS 4i to install Leopard on my Thinkpad x200. My screen resolution is stuck at 1024x768. I also have not found a way to make the wireless, ethernet, or audio work. I've done some searching but since our laptops are so new I don't think there is much support yet. Let me know if you get your x200 working, I'll keep trying with mine too. :rolleyes:

hi simon, nice to see another person helping out for the X200!

i think i got my audio working with the default drivers selected on the Kalyway disk. i should've checked this post earlier, so then i can post the driver name and see if you can find a compatible one. i realised earlier this afternoon that my wifi and internet wasn't working either so i'm installing it again with some other drivers. i'm trying out the GMA950 driver for the display now, seeing if there will be a difference. i also don't know the correct name for the network and wifi stuff so i'm a bit bummed. i also agree with the fact that due to the X200 being so new, there won't be much drivers yet. hope something comes round soon.

unrelated off Topic information who come in just to see what's happening:

i've also installed Mac OS X 10.5.2 kalyway on my desktop before installing installing on X200. i should've made a post for this, but if you have the Asus P5LD2-SE motherboard, you can use most of the default drivers to make everything for the motherboard work - despite the fact that the sound will somehow be really loud at medium level. this might be different to other people though. Also, if you plan on using osx86 with the Samsung 15" SyncMaster 153v monitor, it will not work with the 256mb nividia (me using a 8500GT display card thus having 256mb to use) driver at resolutions higher or lower than 8xx times something. this is due to possibly os x being unable to recognize this monitor and you will get only a blue screen with the mouse if you set the screen resolution to anything other than the stated resolution.

just a little maybe non useful update. i've reinstalled 10.5.2 with other drivers, and it seems like the first time seemed to be a better solution. however i'd just like to say, and i know simon is probably working very hard to find the appropriate drivers to make osx86 work on the thinkpad x200, is that if anybody comes across to the drivers which work for this computers' chipset, please post!

i might also be able to provide the drivers, however, they are for vista home premium.

here's the driver list made from OSX86 Tool utility, if anyone would actually find useful:

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub [8086:2a40] (rev 07)

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2a42] (rev 07)

00:02.1 Display controller [0380]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2a43] (rev 07)

00:03.0 Communication controller [0780]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset MEI Controller [8086:2a44] (rev 07)

00:03.2 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset PT IDER Controller [8086:2a46] (rev 07)

00:03.3 Serial controller [0700]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset AMT SOL Redirection [8086:2a47] (rev 07)

00:19.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection [8086:10f5] (rev 03)

00:1a.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 [8086:2937] (rev 03)

00:1a.1 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 [8086:2938] (rev 03)

00:1a.2 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 [8086:2939] (rev 03)

00:1a.7 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 [8086:293c] (rev 03)

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller [8086:293e] (rev 03)

00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 [8086:2940] (rev 03)

00:1c.1 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 [8086:2942] (rev 03)

00:1c.2 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 3 [8086:2944] (rev 03)

00:1c.3 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 4 [8086:2946] (rev 03)

00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 [8086:2934] (rev 03)

00:1d.1 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 [8086:2935] (rev 03)

00:1d.2 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 [8086:2936] (rev 03)

00:1d.7 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 [8086:293a] (rev 03)

00:1e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge [8086:2448] (rev 93)

00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation ICH9M-E LPC Interface Controller [8086:2917] (rev 03)

00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller [8086:2929]

(rev 03)

00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller [8086:2930] (rev 03)

03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Unknown device [8086:4237]

04:00.0 Memory controller [0580]: Intel Corporation Turbo Memory Controller [8086:444e] (rev 11)

• 5 weeks later...

hey boiledice, i don't have the ethernet card driver, and i think the other person posted on this thread doesn't have it either.

it's annoying at the moment cause firstly we still do not know if apple will continue to use intel chipsets such as the ones on your sony and my x200 the intel G45/x4500 if i am correct, and no one is willing to make one themselves or something yet.

^boiledice, sorry for me to take this long to respond you, have been dealing with some school life.

firstly, thanks for the link, i will try it out some time tomorrow if possible and give feedback.

bkendall, when you say atheros do you mean the brand of the ethernet chip/card or the kext that came along on an install disk? i just wanna make sure which one cause i suddenly have forgotten if the atheros ethernet is the chip or a kext file.

by the way, boiledice, can you refer to which post it is? cause there are a few posts relating to the drivers, just want to make sure i download the correct drivers to see which one it is.

edit hkt 1026pm 06/11/08:

i think i found the driver, intel82566mm.kext and related right?

however, it worked for a split second on my computer and now i still can't get the ethernet to work for some reason. i've installed/reinstalled the kext a few times and not much reaction. i might need some extra advice to see if i can get this going. also having checked the hardware information again with the list above and with osx86 tools made by pcwiz, my gigabit network connection driver/hardware is the intel 82567LM one and i'm not sure if this is the issue.

thanks for all the contributions though.

one more edit, after reading one of those blog threads, i realised that i might need to do some editing with kextstat. anyways, if that is so, i might reinstall kalyway 10.5.2 again with the extra tools provided cause i have nothing to help me resolve this at the moment. will have to confirm with you guys a bit later.

thanks again.

hi loserpro2,

try this... this is what i followed using the link above .... and it worked for me...

dingguijinOct 3 2008, 08:12 AMHow to change OSBundleLibraries item in Info.plist?

Try the following steps:

1) run kextstat to catch your system information and especially the version of com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily, com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily, com.apple.kpi.bsd, com.apple.kpi.iokit, com.apple.kpi.libkern, com.apple.kpi.mach.

2) Go to the directory of Intel82566MM.kext/Contents and replace the version string with your system's.

On my OSX (10.5.3) the version string should be:

<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>

<dict>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily</key>

<string>1.6.0</string>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>

<string>2.4.1</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.bsd</key>

<string>9.3.0</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>

<string>9.3.0</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>

<string>9.3.0</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.mach</key>

<string>9.3.0</string>

</dict>

also please keep me posted about any other development regarding other devices

yay, did it just now, was probably a few minutes job, the kext patch worked. i'm thinking why it didn't work last night was due to my user account did not have a password and for kext installer B7 to work it needed a password.

i will still be on the lookout for other drivers/kexts.

I have a Lenovo x200 with the artheros wireless card installed in it. It's a goal of mine to get the airport card to work so that I can move completely over to OSX86 and off of Windows. There are some things that I have tried from off of these forums, but to no avail, so if you do come up with anything for the wireless of the artheros variety (rather than the intel variety). I know you may not have this particular card, but please, if you do come across anything, let me know.

whey boiledice, for audio, it worked straight out of the box for me with the kalyway 10.5.2 disk on default settings. (whether the audio is hd i don't really know but at least there's audio) i'm not sure if its cause u used a different disk to install osx86 which is why some people i heard - like simon - doesn't have audio. i would like to help you by extracting the kext and then send them to you however, i don't know how to extract them. maybe its a simple process, but i guess i don't know how to do it.

bkendall, ok - thanks for the discription. but did you try the kext i have posted last night? i'm not sure if it's an intel thing but i think it might work on yours. maybe double check with osx86 tools to see what hardware it actually is, like mine is the intel Gigabit 82567LM despite still being refered as a gigabit chip and the kext works for it. but if antheros is sort of "really being {censored}" and not letting you at least get the ethernet chip working, then i guess you have to wait. but of course, i will be on the lookout for it.

other info:

got my external usb "dongle"/adapter - OMIZ bluetooth v2.0+EDR and plugged it into the x200 like on my desktop which worked like a charm, but sadly it doesn't save any kext or something to make the internal one work. wished all the drivers were made...

edit (12 nov 08) - i think sleep mode doesn't work yet on my X200....

• 4 weeks later...

hi

boiledice i'm trying to install iatkos v4 on my z590 would you please share your installation options? what fixes have you applied?

are you using vanilla kernel?

please it would be great to hear from your experience i'm trying to install it as well,

Thank you all

• 4 months later...

Hi guys,

Just another comment to help those who want to install OSX86 on a Lenovo X200.

I personally have a X200s, but anyway, here what I had to do to make it work:

Btw, I've installed Kalyway v10.5.2.

- BEFORE install, go to the BIOS and change the SATA mode from AHCI to Compatible. I first left it to AHCI and the installer was failing randomly while copy files.

- Follow a normal setup guide (see Wiki) to install Kalyway.

*** For the Ethernet drivers:

- Download the latest Ethernet drivers from http://techresearchinfo.blogspot.com/

- Download KEXT Helper from http://cheetha.net/

- Save both files on your OSX desktop

- Open Kext Helper and drag the kext driver package in the window

- Choose a password and click Easy Install

*** Other problems:

- as everybody, video card not recognized and resolution is limited to 1024x768

- usb port do not work when inserting USb key (tried 2 already)

- my Belgian French keyboard is not fully functional (Alt Gr key doesn't work amongst other)

- no trace of Wifi

- don't know which key to use to replace the Apple key

normally your network adapter will be detect as a matter of seconds....

• 1 year later...

Bringing this back from the dead, just wanted to post that iatkos s3 v2 can be installed onto this machine. However, the graphics kext that fools it to think that it is the x3100 series chip to get at least native resolution does not work and only will cause kernal panic as it is somewhat unable to recognize the device and such. (I am only really installing osx86 on this problematic setup because of the need to use iMovie).

As for the current x4500 solution, it does work on older releases, 10.5.5 at least.

Bringing this back from the dead, just wanted to post that iatkos s3 v2 can be installed onto this machine. However, the graphics kext that fools it to think that it is the x3100 series chip to get at least native resolution does not work and only will cause kernal panic as it is somewhat unable to recognize the device and such. (I am only really installing osx86 on this problematic setup because of the need to use iMovie).

As for the current x4500 solution, it does work on older releases, 10.5.5 at least.

just installed this myself as well. I was able to get the correct resolution with this modified boot file .

I installed chameleon RC4 with the installation from iatkos and then copied the boot file from the above post over existing one.

Just need to purchase an atheros wifi card to get wireless now. sound and ethernet working. would be great to get some qe/ci as well soon.

tgd

ps, ignore my sig. I sold my Dell and need to update my signature to reflect the X200

• 6 years later...