Noob with os X

JBLanteigne

3 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm really new to os x.. I used it for about 10ish hours.. I know the preferences and stuff but nothing more.. I would like to learn..

I just found out that there's something called "terminal" (see how noob I am) I would like to know more about it and also.. what are the common file extensions in mac? I know .dmg is like the equivalent of .exe.. what else is there to know?

Close guess.

The equiv of *.exe is *.app. *.dmg is more like *.iso, if you change the extension there's no major difference. *.icns instead of *.ico- There's not much you need to know. You'll get used to it over time, and by the way, Welcome to the light.

• Like 1

Hi, I'm really new to os x.. I used it for about 10ish hours.. I know the preferences and stuff but nothing more.. I would like to learn..

I just found out that there's something called "terminal" (see how noob I am) I would like to know more about it and also.. what are the common file extensions in mac? I know .dmg is like the equivalent of .exe.. what else is there to know?

The Terminal is essentially OSX's version of the DOS Command Window (Start > Run > cmd). However, it's works just like most *NIX command line utilities, so it's closely related to those found on Linux, for instance. Think of it as your command line utility on OS X and you are good to go.

As for file extensions, the ones that will be most different to you will be things like:

.app, which equals to .exe, only that unlike a Windows program, a .app is a self-contained application (meaning, everything it needs to work is *inside* of it, not in a Folder like you'd find in Program Files\Application).

.kext, which is a driver file. In windows, the closest thing would be a .ini for drivers.

.dmg, which is essentially a renamed .iso file.

Those are the ones you'll run into more often than not. However, bear in mind that unlike Windows, you don't *really* have to be aware of file extensions in OS X. Since most file dependencies from applications are a non-issue (due to apps being self contained in most cases), and the other kinds of files being multi-platform (mp3, mp4, mov, avi, jpg, gif, doc, xls, etc.), you won't have many troubles on that front.

• Like 1